Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need advice from the guru's

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Need advice from the guru's

Okay, I tried the search with no results. Here's the deal. I installed a 8lb lower pulley this past weekend. Been running a lightning upper for about a year. Per the other posts I've read I should be at around 14-15lbs boost. My gauge reads nothing higher than 12. Maybe bad gauge? Immediately after installing bottom pulley, I hooked up Predator (with latest upgrades from Diablosport) and loaded in 93 octane pulley tune. I fattened up the fuel and backed off the timing until I could get to the Dyno. Finally got some Dyno time yesterday afternoon. 1st pull-354/476. A/F at 12.4 and max timing @ 16degrees. 2nd pull after fattening up the fuel and raising timing 1 degree-352/480. A/F 11.5-11.8 and total timing @ 15 degrees. Does this sound right? I've seen posts on here that seem to have significantly higher HP numbers. Of course TX weather doesn't help. 99 degrees with 90% humidity. I'm hesitant to raise the timing any more and think the fuel is right where it outta be. We did a baseline the previous Friday on the same Dyno. 1st pull factory tune 323/399-A/F 12 flat. 2nd pull with Predator basic performance tune 334/413-A/F 12.8. It appears that adding an 8lb pulley on netted an increase of 20hp with a major jump in torque. What am I doing wrong??? Any feed back would be much appreciated

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what diameter is your lower pulley? Does it have size stamped on it? If not measure it and let us know.

IIRC 6lb=9 inch
    8lbs=10 inch

Both outside lip to lip

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That definately sounds low. Did you keep the L upper on? I was at 382 HP with a 4 lb lower and an L upper at 19 degrees timing. Stock I was at 310.

How many miles you have on the truck? Have you checked or
    replaced the plugs? Were your pedals raised off the floor, or all the way down? TPS positioned/adjusted correctly? That weather sure will decrease the numbers, but I doubt it would knock it down that much. These are just what I think of immediately that can cause a decreased output. I'm sure others will have some additional thoughts on this, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Good luck.
    HAD: 400 HP/476 ft. lbs.
    4# Lower, 2.9" Upper
    Apten Ported Blower, JLP CAI, L-Spec Bilsteins
    L&S Oil Separator, SCT Tune by MD Motorsports

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    also what kind of dyno was it?
    Mustang's read a lot lower than Dynojets

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My lower pulley is a motoblue. Has 9.75" stamped on it so I believe it to be a true 8lb pulley. It measures 10" lip to lip. I have the lightning upper still installed. All runs were on a Dynojet, would have rather had access to a Mustang as they MUCH better for getting true readings for tuning purposes. The only other mod on the truck I didn't mention is a K&N flat panel filter. I did play with the boost actuator at one time trying to get all I could out of it stock. (Adjusted a little with the slop in the bolt holes). I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Maybe need to tip in a little more timing?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A few more degrees of timing won't make that much of a difference. Right now I make 392 at 16 degrees, and 400 at 19 degrees. I would rather play it safe at 16 and forego the 8 HP difference. Just make sure the pedals are up, AC off, etc, etc. I'm sure you have already done that, but doesn't hurt to rehash it. Are you getting belt slip. Did you put the correct length belt on when you swapped pulleys. Just thinking of everything for you man. If everything stated above in all posts is OK, then???? If all else fails, you might want to consider getting a custon dyno tune from your local shop that tunes with the predator.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Belt is correct. Tight as banjo string. There aren't any Predator tuners in the Austin area I've found. There is an SCT tuner locally that has a tremendous reputation for custom tunes. Problem is I don't have $650.00 required for his expertise. I've talked to him, at length, he used to be a Predator tuner, but dropped em for SCT. He won't even consider working with the Predator and no longer has the software. Besides, he's booked out for the next 6-8 weeks. I didn't read all of your 1st response. Truck has 53K on it with original plugs. Pedals are not all the way to the floor? Does this have an impact on engine performance? TPS voltage nuts on @ 1.00V. MAFV peaked @4.1V, not saturating the electronics. IAT @ 133 degrees. All I remember right now.
    Last edited by Mountain; 07-28-2005 at 05:13 PM.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    New plugs man

Denso it22's for that setup gapped to .032-.036

Could be a bad gauge, hell 8lb lower and l upper should be putting you up around 15-16lbs of boost.

Got any vacuum leaks anywhere?

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthr...ght=plug+chart
    Last edited by bgstew6; 07-28-2005 at 05:33 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    bgstew, I was wonderin about that. Plugs are definitely a possible culprit. I'll be pullin the intercooler within the next month and finally installing the oil seperator. I'll drop in a set of plugs then. If intercooler is clogged, actual boost numbers should go up as pressure is picked up before the cooler? The boost gauge I have is the Ford unit that matches the instrument cluster and it always reads below "0". I've taken it off and adjusted, but it goes back everytime.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    8lber AND a L upper?
    recipe for for entry into the vented block club if you're on the stock bottom end

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I run 17 degree's and 11.8
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not an 8lb lower and l upper you dont

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Observant you are my friend.....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Mountain
    bgstew, I was wonderin about that. Plugs are definitely a possible culprit. I'll be pullin the intercooler within the next month and finally installing the oil seperator. I'll drop in a set of plugs then. If intercooler is clogged, actual boost numbers should go up as pressure is picked up before the cooler? The boost gauge I have is the Ford unit that matches the instrument cluster and it always reads below "0". I've taken it off and adjusted, but it goes back everytime.
    COuld be one of your problems, experience spark blow out. Defintely drop in those colder plugs and gap them to .034.

Also recheck your boost dump actuator again when you pull the Blower to clean the IC.

That is balsy running an 8lb lower and L upper on stock block.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Definately change the plugs!! Your IAT is a little high for peak power too. You prob want to be around 110-120 max. IC will be all buggered up at 53K. Mine had 29K and was a mess when the blower was pulled to be ported. Vince's oil sep went on immediately after the work was completed. Hopefully the plugs are the culprit.
    And yes, the pedal position will have some effect on wide open throttle. They should be up at least half way.
    Last edited by Grey Wolf; 07-28-2005 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast