Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Abilene?

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Questions about Abilene?

I'm looking into a job in Abilene, just wondered what you guys had to say about the area?
    I've never been around there, my Tx travels have been pretty much limited to chasing rattlesnakes in the NW part of the state.
    Also anyone with municipal connections around there, please let me know
    Last edited by Venom; 07-11-2005 at 11:29 AM.
    '03 HD Solid Black - Gone but never forgotten.
    '07 Jeep JK Unlimited Rubicon

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re: Questions about Abilene?

Originally posted by Venom
    I'm looking into a job in Abilene, just wondered what you guys had to say about the area?
    I've never been around there, my Tx travels have been pretty much limited to chasing rattlesnakes in the NW part of the state.
    Also anyone with municipal connections around there, please let me know
    Does this mean you're possibly moving to Texas?
    Sean E.
    '02 DSG HD ( Gone but will always have a special place in my heart...)

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    possibly
    I think I have a decent shot at landing my dream job

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Larry is not allowed to move....

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Venom
    possibly
    I think I have a decent shot at landing my dream job

Well I hope everything works out.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks guys!
    Mike, how about "make extended visits to another state"?

nothing even close to concrete yet on the job, I just found out that I have a legitimate shot at it and I'm just trying to see what I'd be getting into if I did get the position and relocate.

Around When I Can...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont know anything on Abilene. But we will be glad to have you!
    But i do believe u will be lonely. I dont know of anyone out there, but you can always drive into Dallas for a GTG and Mod Partys.
    I think its like 3 to 4 hours. Not sure, my sister or dad will know.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Abilene is a small city. Almost desert like, real rocky. Its north enough that you will typically see snow in the winter. Gets fairly hot in the summer. You can probably find a nice inexpensive house there.
    9" lower, MOTOBLUE Aux Idler upgrade, C&L upper plenum and Inlet pipe, JLP Ram Air, Accufab TB, 160 stat, LFP 58" tracbars, Hellwig rear sway, LFP intercooler, LFP E-Fan, FTVB, L&S oil separator, Bassani Cats and Cat-back, 1-2 drop, ARE bed cover, BedRug, SS rollpan, Dual pillar pod w/Autometer Ultra-Lites, Lightning tails, grounding kit, flame pinstripe delete, Hidden Hitch, Eclipse AVN5435, JL Audio, Viper 791XV

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    after living in Fl, real estate in most places will seem like a bargain!
    thanks for the info!

RIP Blake
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If I'm not mistaking, Abilene has an 1/8 mile track near by.....Don't hold me to this, its just hear/say.

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Not a selling point to Larry...he lives by one of the best 1/4 tracks in the state (Bradenton Motorsports Park)

RIP Blake
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah, but he could also be moving to a place with NO track at all....and that would just suck. Atleast Dallas is just a jump and a skip over from Abilene and he could go there for his racing needs.....heheheh!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I spent 5 years in Abilene - 4 in college and 1 working. Abilene is a great town, and had things worked out differently, I'd have been happy to live out my days there. It's definitely a smaller town, good atmosphere, but still has most anything you could want to find - or at least that I ever wanted to find. Traffic is really never a problem. You don't drive on highways to get around...there's one loop that circles the town, but that's it.

It's well known for it's food - lots of good Texas BBQ to be had in Abilene. Pretty hot and dry in the summer and can get dusty at times. Don't know anything about snow being typical in the winter. They MAY see snow once or twice a winter, but no guarantee and nothing that sticks around longer than a day or two.

Unless it's changed in the 9 or 10 years since I lived there, cost of living is fantastic. Unfortunately, in some fields, the pay is commensurate with that though.

There's three colleges in the town - Abilene Christian U (Church of Christ), Hardin Simmons, and McMurry. I always get the other two mixed up, but one's Baptist and the other Methodist, I believe. It's VERY much a Bible belt town. ACU (my alma matar) has a tremendous influence in the town politics, etc.

As mentioned, I love the place. Both my parents also went to ACU and we have lots of family that live there, so I've had roots there forever. We have one other member who actually lives in Abilene - just sold his built DSG a few months back. For the life of me, I can't remember his screen name, but I have seen him post a time or two since selling his truck. He'd be a good source of information and perhaps offer a contrasting opinion to my own.

Depending on what you are used to, I can see that there are things people wouldn't care for about that town. There's not an abundance of nightlife, there are bars and there's usually one or two dance type clubs of both pop and country style, but it's no Dallas. Unless things have changed, they close at like 12 or 1 on Fridays and 1 or 2 on Saturdays. (Again, lots of bible belt politics) That was fine for me. Plenty of other good stuff to do out there.

There's also a military base - Dyess AFB. That gives you a good idea of the makeup - three Christian colleges, a military base and it's situated at the edge of west Texas. Americana (or certainly at least Texicana ) at it's finest. As mentioned, I loved the place....miss it, the pace of life, and the character of the people there.
    Last edited by jeff56; 07-15-2005 at 12:23 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Forgot the most important part - lots of rattlesnakes!!

It's also right down the road from Sweetwater, which hosts one of the largest rattlesnake roundups in the world. Don't know that you'd be too hip on that, however, as there's lots of selling snakes for the skins, eating, etc.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks a bunch for the info! Sounds like a nice place.

Apparently the Abilene Zoo is looking to expand the reptile department and the salt water aquaria department and wants a new supervisor for both and to help design the new facility.

Roundups honestly should be illegal as hell. I mean lets just gather up 5000-15000 animals, keep them for months with no food or water 2 feet deep in garbage cans and then when the "festival" happens, lets take out the ones that are left alive, do stupid stunts with them, then let everyone watch as we chop their heads off with a machete. Hell, you'd be in jail if you tried that with ****roaches! But it's ok, cuz rattlesnakes are "dangerous". Dogs kill thousands more people every year than rattlesnakes. So can I have a stray dog roundup?
    How about horses?
    All of it done under the guise of clearing the snakes out for schools and stuff. Newsflash: if it worked, it would have been over with years (decades) ago. Now it's devolved into just sensationalism and fund raising for the local groups (mostly the jaycees) at the expense of killing tens of thousands of animals a year - brilliant! Wonder why they rodent problem is exploding? I'm sure taking out that many apex predators from an ecosystem has NO repurcussions at all. I don't care if you like or loathe snakes, you have to admit that that's just wrong to do to anything alive.
    It also seriously depletes the supply of antivenom every year from the mandatory idiocy and the bites it causes. Imagine if your child was hiking and got bit and there wasn't enough antivenom left to save them because some asshat had to show how many rattlesnakes he could put in the sleeping bag with him.

Yeah anyway, I'll stop preaching now, it's just a major peeve of mine. Ultra barbaric and yet for some reason in the eyes of the public, it's ok.
    Last edited by Venom; 07-15-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast