Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MBRP 4" Exhaust Install

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up MBRP 4" Exhaust Install

My turbo back system came in on Friday and I finally was able to hang it today. Its a 4" turbo back system (3.5" downpipe, 4" all the way back) with a 5" tip. I opted to go with the cat test pipe and the muffler delete. What a freakin' difference! The turbo spools quicker, there's a nice rumble at idle, and under throttle it roars! The turbo whistle is much more noticable at all rpms and at idle, it really does sound like a jet. Very little drone at highway speeds and at 60-70mph, there's enough rumble to make other drivers look around to see what's coming up on them. In cab, you barely notice a difference unless you're mashing the skinny pedal on the right. With the radio on, you can't even tell you had an exhaust system put on.

The install was pretty easy. We didn't even put the truck up on a lift. Actually, taking off the old exhaust was the most difficult part. After removing the clamps behind the cat, the section of pipe with the muffler (goes up over the axle and back to the tip) was a biotch to get out. We ended up cutting the tip off with a plasma cutter and pulling the pipe forward to the front of the truck. The cat came off easy, but getting the factory downpipe out was impossible without another cut. Its obvious that Ford put the exhaust in before they installed the tranny and the tranny crossmember. Cutting the pipe by the crossmember was difficult, only because of the limited space. It was hard to see where your cut was on top of the pipe and we had a couple of mis-cuts where they didn't line up.

Finally got it all out, and then on to the install. We kept all the bolts loose so we could twist and turn the pipes for clearance. The tightest spots were at the down pipe (firewall clearance is minimal), at the mid-pipe (two bolts on the frame come awfully close to the pipe and you have to pay attention to them or you'll get some clanging when you hit a bump), and at the very tail end of the exhaust. You really have to ensure the pipe is "square," meaning the axle hump is straight up and down. The clearance between the spare tire, the pipe, and the leaf spring is pretty close. Keep the clamp bolts loose and pull the extension pipe back a little. This should provide the clearance you need between the leaf spring and the pipe. And before you tighten everything down, put your tip on to make sure you have enough clearance between the bottom of the quarter panel and the top of your pipe.

Oh--and you're going to have to cut the extension pipe if you have a short box (6 3/4' bed). If you're measuring in from the straight section of the pipe, measure in 15" . If you're measuring from the bent end of the pipe (as per the directions), your cut needs to be 29" from that end. Have a crew cab with a 8' bed? No need for cutting the extension pipe. And the factory cat is the same length as the cat test pipe (a tad over 28"), should you need or want to interchange the cat and the cat test pipe.

We tightened the clamp at the end of the extension pipe first (the muffler end, or towards the back of the truck). Next, we checked the clearance of the downpipe and midpipe and tightened the band clamp at the turbo.

**TIP** Put a 1/2" - 3/4" piece of wood between the midpipe and the two bolts on the frame rail where there's limited clearance. Then when you tighten the clamps down, the pipe will sit away from the bolts sufficiently.

Then just work your way back tightening the clamps. Make sure they're tight, but don't over-torque the nuts or you'll compress the pipe and restrict airflow.

Like I said, putting this thing on was easier than taking the factory one off. Total time was around 3 hours and I'm up and running. No clangs, no leaks..........just a great sound and better performance.

I'll keep you posted on mpg gains--I can't believe how restrictive the cat was! You can't even see light through that mofo!

Oh---and while we were waiting for the exhaust to cool down (after driving the truck to my friend's house), I got a ride in a AC Cobra replica! Its got a 302 bored .030 over and runs low 11's. Put it this way---2100 lbs and over 300 hp means a 1st gear burnout as long as you stay in the gas! What an AWESOME car!!

Phil, I know you'll probably never see this post, but thanks for all your help with the install. Having a guy who's handy and has the tools makes all the difference.

I'll throw some pics up later---I have some before stuff but nothing during the install. My hands were really nasty and I didn't want to handle my camera.

Those of you with a Powerstroke, I highly recommend this mod !

--Snake

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Factory muffler
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cat

See the MBRP box in the background?

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No muffler, but lots of fingerprints
    Last edited by Snake; 08-14-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cat?

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is as much of the system as I could get into one pic

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    5" tip

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another pic of the tip, and yes, my truck is filthy.
    Last edited by Snake; 08-14-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Trying to see daylight through the cat. If you see the small, white circle in the center of the cat, that's the amount of sunlight that the cat lets through. Bear in mind, the cat's only 28" long! Can you say, "RESTRICTIVE?!"

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Leftover parts.......... and arrows pointing to where the pipes were cut with a plasma cutter. The one on the left is just before the exhaust tip. The one on the right is towards the end of the downpipe, just in front of the tranny crossmember (if it was still on the truck).

And the MBRP muffler is thrown in there for good measure, even though it'll find a nice spot in my garage.
    Last edited by Snake; 08-14-2005 at 05:15 PM.

4X4 POWER-STROKEN
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the step-by-step walk through, great info.
    Randy
    FORD Fleet/Comm Truck Mngr. 406 544-6891 St Louis, MO fordfun_mt@yahoo.com
    2008 Harley 105TH Anniv Softail Custom
    2006 Harley F-250 Black Long Box #01713 (03/07)
    winner of All Ford class LightningFest6 KC aug/08 -14.21
    (SOLD) 06 Harley F-350 Dk Tor Red Short box #00620 -14.82 2006 Lightning Fest KC---
    (SOLD) 05 Harley F-350 True Blue Short Box 6.0L #3134 -14.47 2005 Lightning Fest KC---
    (SOLD) 04 Harley F-250 W/6" Lift BLK/DSG #2980 -14.935 1/4 mile at Topeka 2004 Truckfest
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God, than in church thinking about my motorcycle. ~unknown~

I love being Stroked!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WOW Thats some very good info!!

Here's a question for ya... why do you have two Lawn Mowers?

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    lol Good question. I had the cheap one when I moved up here in Oct but it wasn't up to cutting the new, bigger lawn. So I went out and bought the second one..........then had the back half of my property cleared out and it was too much to push mow, so I bought the John Deere! Been trying to find a home for the cheaper push mower since the garbage men won't take it away.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    so that is just a straight through exhaust now? thats gotta sound SICK!!!!

where's the sound clip man! i think you need to make a trip to to Atco so i can get a video of that thing tearing up the 1320 and post it online just got a kick azz new sony handycam digital video camera gotta put it to good use!!

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yup, straight through: 3.5" down pipe to a 4" pipe all the way out. I really like the way it sounds!

No way for me to post a sound clip since all I have is a dig camera, no dig video.

I'm all about a trip to Atco.........let me know when you're going up again. Hopefully, the weather will stay decent this time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast