Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Purchasing a TVS sytem a couple of questions

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Purchasing a TVS sytem a couple of questions

I am planning on ordering a TVS system this week (christmas is coming early) and wanted to know if anyone has bought the whole system with the bilstien shocks from LFP. I have read the forums and some people say that you need different bushings to fit. I am planning on doing Bilsteins all around and the whole kit. So I guess basically I am asking if I need to get anything else for the install. I want to have all the parts ready prior to install. I have an 02 DSG that was lowered by the previous owner. Cut in the front and lowering kit on the back. Thanks in advance.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been running the whole system now for20 K miles and 0 problems. The kit does come complete there is nothing else to order, make sure you order the shocks at the same time. There has always been a delay on Mark's/Hotchkis's end so be prepared.
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    couple things...

1.) the bushing issue you are refering to is for the lightning spec bilsteins purchased from Ford not the hotchkiss/bilsteins. they come ready to install with everything you need. the kit is essentially 3-5 boxes. (1) the leaf springs (1) the front coil springs (1) the sway bars (includes all the hardware & bushings) (1-4) shocks.

2.) Garret is right, Mark(LFP) does not stock the shocks. He drop shipps them from Hotkis. SO there can be as much as a 10 day lag depending on Hotchkis & LFP on either side. I got mine in about 10 days. I know others have been a month. You can run the system with the stock shocks until your other shocks arrive. the ride will be bouncy, but liveable until the good shocks get there. I did it for almost a year.

Rob W

Navy Chief, Navy Pride
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Installed my TVS yesterday. Gotta say how much, I love it!

Handling is much more predictable. Lost most (if not all) of the excessive body roll, and turn in is greatly enhanced. You can really start applying power comming out of a corner sooner. Even hang it out there, if you want to. (Lots of fun)

Installation was strait foreward, NO real supprises. I've had "bolt on's" that went bad before. My buddy and I spent about 8 hrs on a lift (including lunch break).

My biggest issues were..
    1. Cut the rear leaf spring bump stops. About half way is the best.
    2. Rear end brake block. The rear end "vent stud" was fused to the brake block. Had to remove the whole brake line in order to install rear sway bar. (Worked out in the end, bled the brakes. Fresh fluid to the brakes is a plus).
    3. Needed to drill out rear sway bar end link attach point. The end link to the truck frame. (As listed in instructions for early trucks, mine is an '02)

I ordered the kit around Dec 1st, received it last week. LFP was backed up with few kits. Probably due to the rebate deal. Shocks are on back order (Can't wait to install them).

Mark and Jessie at LFP are great! They work with you. I will order from them again, most likely their traction bars. Thanks

Navy Chief, Navy Pride
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Almost forgot...

4. I had to redrill the hole in the leaf spring U bolt bracket (sits on top of the leaf). It would not fit flush on the new spring w/o the resize.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So your install was just like mine, when you do the front get it aligned and then again in 500 to 700 miles. You will dig it. Now you just need a few other toy's....

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    did you guys have to adjust your front sway bar after the settling?? I don't like the way my end links are sitting, tilted in facing eachother.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nope

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I finally ordered mine this morning. Should be in by the end of next week they said. The bilstiends wont be in until the second week of January. Can't come soon enough. The previous owner did a terrible job of lowering it. Just got Hankook 295-45-20 and they rub on the out side wheel well when I hit a bump.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    front or rear they rub?

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine rub at full wheel ****

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mostly the front but I did hear the back rub once. I drove it home and havn't driven since. It only rubs when I go over a bump. The suspension is to soft and it rubs on the "eyelid" when I hit a bump. I am hoping the suspension will stiffen it up plus lift it a little. The previous owner did a terrible job lowereing it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Garret.. where do yous rub? on the sway bar or the fender?

Therapist... ANY suspension other than the TVS will bounce/rub with the crappy shocks everyone sells. At best they might have used Doetch Slammer Shocks which are about the only shock worth a crap out there...

The TVS will cure MOST of your woes.

I will say this.. my TVS has nearly 70K on it now & the rear leaf springs are not holding payload as I would like. But its a very SMALL price to pay for the quality of the handling & acceptable ride.

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On the sway at full wheel ****, 0 on the fendors..

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    One reccomendation I got was to trim away a little of the inside of the "eyelid" I am only going to do that as a last resort.

Also I can only put maybe 100 pounds in my bed before I hit the stops. Even with nothing in the bad if I hit a bump I will bottom out. I love my truck but I really need to get rid of these issues. Then I will start working on the other things I want to do to it. Only if I get approval for funds from the wife.

I hear some of you guys went with shorter stops. What do you reccomend and where is the best place to get them.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast