Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mp3 Players

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mp3 Players

Hey guys, check out what I just bought!

It is a Ford OEM CD/MP3 Player for the F-150's. I decided that this truck will keep the factory look with all hidden components
    (including a JL Stealthbox), but I didn't want a loud looking Head unit to screw it up the elegant interior. Since it looks stock, no stupid thief will risk breaking in for a "stock" stereo.

This unit plugs right in, keeps the CD-Changer functionality, and most importantly,
    - it plays Mp3's!

I think this will be a popular sound-system mod in the future (that is EASILY REVERSIBLE) and thought you guys should know!

Alex

Here is another one for sale!
    NHOTC #23
    2002 Supercharged Harley Davidson Supercrew DSG - Fast Daily Driver.
    1985 Turbocharged RX-7 GSL-SE "Cosmo" 13B-RE - Much, Much, Faster Weekend Racer.
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT Convertible bone stock - Weekend Cruiser.
    1998 Sea-Doo GTX-Limited too many mods!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've got a 2000 with the 6 disk changer, i recently bought a mp3 player (archos 10mb) and play it through the cassette adapter. I'd like to know your thoughts on the unit once it's installed and operational... keep us up to date please
    2000 HD F-150
    http://www.nhtoc.org/

K&N Air Filter, Windshield Visor, chrome 3rd brake light cover, hidden hitch, Clarion DXZ-735 CD/MP3 Player, Clarion 6 Disk Changer, 4 5x7 Infinity Kappas for the doors, MTX 404 amplifier and drivers/passengers window tint and Orange Neon Underbody Kit.
    Open to more mod suggestions

1999 Honda Valkyrie
    http://www.f6rider.com/

6 degree timing advance, quick response carb springs, K&N air Filter,
    drilled exhaust baffles, strategicly placed red LED's & gobs of chrome

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is too kewl! I love making mods that are factory upgrades. I did a lot of that to my last truck. It was a Silverado, but didn't come with all the options. I added about 5 different options from newer trucks.

I'm on a mission now....

Click it ^

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here's one with a modded bezel. I'm not too sure about this, but it does give you an idea of what one would look like if it were painted to match your truck...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is pretty cool. Something simple...yet extremely stealth and factory!

-TeK

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by St Louis Harley

Do yourself a favor, send it back and buy a quality deck. I was also sucked in to the "lets keep the stock" look. I returned it over 3 weeks.
    -Mark
    Mark, thanks for the heads up. I guess I better cool my jets for abit. I was all hot to get one, till you dropped in...

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Option

Years ago I saw a stereo install in one of the popular magazines that took the faceplate off the stock stereo and made it a cover for the new stereo.

That way, it was able to keep a stock look when you are away from the truck. Also keeps vandals at bay.

Not sure how that would work nowadays with the faceplates flipping and turning every which direction, but if you find a qualified stereo shop, you may want to look into it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    uh no, about that color bezel was UGLY!! nothing against anyone that liked that color. How much are you paying for something like that? I think you should send it back. Does your stock stereo have rca outputs? I think if you want a good sounding system you have to go with what is made for it. Our stock radios arent made for nice booming systems. You need the right voltage, speakers, components for your listening pleasure. If you are happy with it then dont listen to me because its all about you. You could also think about making a face plate that will cover the stereo when you leave the truck so that people dont even notice its there.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    looks cool, keep us updated on how it sounds and everything.

i haven't gotten anything system wise yet other than my little 8" camo console sub because of some ahole stealing and breaking in the truck. I'd love to do a dvd screen and all that, but would want to figure out some way to make a plate to cover over the headunit. tinting isn't an option either. illegal here for tint that would be dark enough, and i dont fell like putting up with the cops

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I bought one of these when I had the lightning. The sound quality was very poor - on par with the stock system. While it played MP3's, it had no concept of play lists of song titles.

Do yourself a favor, send it back and buy a quality deck. I was also sucked in to the "lets keep the stock" look. I returned it over 3 weeks.

-Mark
    Thanks for the kind words

I think the reason you got "not-so-good" sound might have been from either your Mp3 compression (I believe in 160kps or better only). 128KPS does sound bad to me. OR, if you used hi-to-low converters, that they were either a poor quality, or bad set up.

Actually, on my 01 S'crew, I used the stock stereo system, used some High quality hi-to-low converters (RCA outs) and powered a 5 channel amp with built in crossovers. I used the stock head-unit and stock rear speakers. I upgraded the fronts to components, and I made a bandpass (Solobaric "12) box that fit on the "40" rear seat.

The sound was truly amazing. Nobody could believe it was from the stock head unit. I had the exact same system in my previous 95' Ford Ranger Splash Extended Cab. Sounded great there too.

On this truck, I am going to do it a little better. Instead of one amp with built in crossovers, I am going to use two separate amps to really put out some wattage. I am going to use a separate crossover, Components on the front and rear this time, as well as the the JL Stealthbox which I have already heard first-hand.

I think the new MP3 player should sound just as good as the stock Ford one, since Ford does use it on some of its cars. It would literally take 3 minutes to swap head units, so I will actually compare the two and let you guys know.

Boostin' Daily.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not going to sugar coat what i think. You'll have to look far and wide to find someone who thinks the stock stereo is great. You are replacing the stock stereo with something of the same quality that just happens to play MP3's. As for features, it doesn't do playlists or song titles.

And while you can make the system sound good by replacing speakers and adding amps, it will never sound as good as a quality aftermarket deck.

If it meets your needs and taste, that's great. The purpose isn't to impress or satisfy me. I have stated on F150online how just hooking the stealthbox to the stock stereo has some huge negatives. Those will still exist with your stock MP3 deck.

-Mark
    Fair enough. It might not be as nice as the Sony CDX-MP70 unit as in my 7, but it might be enough for what I want. I was satisfied with the previous stock HU on my S'crew.

Did the people who had troubles with the JL stealthbox with the stock HU run it with a proper crossover and dedicated amp? Or did they just amplify the stock signal?

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to rain on anyone's parade...

I have installed one of these on a customer's 2002 Lariat Srew. I work part time at a local audio shop. The unit itself gives out poor sound quality even with 320 kbps format on the MP3 file.

Now with all the experience you've had using the stock head unit and working with the SQ after the HU, you know your audio gear real well. You tweaked your system around the HU and that also works at some degree. You had amazing results because you improved your other audio components. But stock for stock, it's no better than the stock unit, just plays MP3 files.

Audio SQ would much be cleaner, like St Louis said, if there was a dedicated sub output. It sounds "boomy" when the x-overs are not set right. And the bass is not as "tight" or crisp when you listen to it.
    2003 FFW-Palmdale, CA - Tough Truck Winner

2002 HD Black
    1996 Probe GT

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Man you guys are really raining on my parade. Directfreak- It might not be as nice as the Sony CDX-MP70 unit as in my 7, but it might be enough for what I want. I was satisfied with the previous stock HU on my S'crew.

So what you are saying, from your experience is, if I'm not looking for a competition quality system, but want to improve the stock system a bit, I should consider this?

I plan to add the Blackwood box, and maybe upgrade the sub that comes with it. I also plan to add a small amp, and a seperate X-over.

Directfreak- You mentioned using quality line out converters. What do you feel is the best brand to go with?

Keep in mind all you audio guru's that I am not trying for a high end sound quality system. All I want to do is improve the bass, and add MP3 capability....

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry to rain on your parade N2TRUX;t

If I remember correctly, the Blackwood sub solution comes with an 8" driver. Don't know if it comes with an amplifier or not.

If you intend to get the Visteon CD/MP3 player and keep everything else relatively stock, then here's what it might look like.

HU - Visteon CD/MP3 Player

CD Changer - Stock changer

Enclosure - Blackwood enclosure

Driver - If you upgrade the 8" that it comes with, take special note of air space and also the power you will be giving it. Take note of its power handling capailities. i.e 300 watts RMS, 600 peak. Take note of their voice coil resistance ratings, single 4 ohm, dual 4 ohm.....

Amplifier - Depends on your driver, try not to overpower the sub so the sub will have a longer life. Since you will just be powering ONE driver, get a mono amp, a 2 channel bridged-mono will also work fine. Now try to get the max power output from the amp, take note of what power it gives you on a 2 ohm load and 4 ohm load. If you get a JL, you don't have to worry about this one. Try to match the 2 ohm load power with your subwoofer's coil rating.

Crossovers - You can either use the x-over on the amp OR get an in-line cross-over. For a subwoofer you set it to a low-pass setting. If you set it at 80hz, then that means it will allow any frequencies below 80 Hz to pass through.

I hope this helps...

BLWN HOG
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Lol!

I get stuff at "whole-sale prices"! The boss is great! And also get access to all the connectors, wires, harnesses and oh! the DEMO units I get to BORROW indefinitely too!......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast