Thread: got nabbed for mandatory cross train....

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red Faced got nabbed for mandatory cross train....

Just found out today that I got picked for cross train to another career field. At least I get a choice, lol. I can choose K-9 or combat arms. So I think I am gonna become a dog handler, sounds like fun. Sucks though being deployed cause I got alot of paperwork and sh!t that needs to be done ASAP. I am trying to take this well because it really threw a monkey wrench into my short term life plans. So when i get back to Eglin eventually, I get to go to San Antonio, Texas for 12-18 weeks for tech school. So I will have to meet up with the Texas crew. I was kinda pissed at first but I dont have a choice so I might as well embrace it and not get all depressed about it.
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

NOBLE
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was just reading about the involuntary retraining in the Charleston AFB Airlift Dispatch. One good thing is you are getting a choice to pick.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What do you do now? SF I assume? Being a dog handler is alot of work and you will most assuredly get deployed more often. Good thing about being a puppy pusher is that good old uncle sam is more worried about the dog than you so you will get comfortable assignments (A/C in the desert!). When I was in CATM was a cush job. Whats your rank and how much jobbing do you want to do?

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    E-5, Security Forces, Flight Chief. Our career field is so over tasked with deployments right now that us and the K-9 are deploying about the same amount, 6 months home 6 months gone. But the K-9 guys have all the best cars and equipment over here in the desert. I am not really interested in CATM too much. Its kinda cush, but those guys are getting tasked with convoy deployments because of the weapons knowledge they have. one MSgt told me "CATM is awesome to have on convoys because of their ability to fix broken weapons in combat situations," which is very true. My buddies friends at Langley are CATM and they are sitting on the 50 cal riding convoys for 6 months in Iraq right now. Plus K-9 is gonna look alot better on my resume when i get out in 3 years and try for a civilian police department.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never thought about CATM being tasked for weapons knowledge, but I guess that it makes sense. Hope you get a good dog!

SEMPER FI
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've known quite a few military dog handlers they all enjoyed their job.

My next door neighbor is a police dog handler gets to bring the cruiser home. Great dog never worry about people snooping around.