Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cost of living in UK

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Cost of living in UK

The wife is looking at a few jobs in the UK. London area for a few. What is the cost of living like in the UK?
    JLP shortblock, Stage 3 heads and cams, 2.3 Whipple w/3" upper and 4# lower.Ba2800, Accufab, Pacesetter LT's, 60#inj, twin 255's, LFP efan, PI 2600 stall, Detroit Locker Tru-Trac, 58" LFP Tbars, Bilsteins all around, D.M.R. panhard, MT DR's. 564/598 on 15# boost

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    a lot

Ben-hur
    Name:

Re: Cost of living in UK

Originally posted by fepony
    The wife is looking at a few jobs in the UK. London area for a few. What is the cost of living like in the UK?
    In comparison to Florida, the average three bedroom house in an average area within 20 miles of the centre is going to cost at the very minimum £250,000.

Ontop of that tax is horrendous.

Personally I would look to live in the Kent Area, cheaper and easier for holdiays in France & Europe.

JMHO

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live and do business in.
    The US Govt. pays an allowance (COLA) to its employees to cover the difference between the US and UK.

http://www.cnauk.navy.mil/Allowances...20Allowance%20(COLA).htm

Currently this is .42 which means that it is 42% more expensive to live here than there.
    Pretty much we find that what an item costs in $ in the US costs the same in British Pounds here and the exchange rate is 1.7.
    For example, I bought my daughters Ipods last year for $300 in Houston when they were costing £300 here (which is $510)
    Living in the US last year I would estimate that on average, supermarket shopping costs about 1/3 more in the UK.

Most importantly, if you are bringing the HD, Gas costs the equivalent of $6.00 gallon for Shell Optimax.
    I just filled up this morning

To be honest, we would all move to Florida if we could

we're Flyin
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As a Brit who has been lucky enough to spend some time Stateside working, I would say stay put were you are, but also from my experience the equivalent jobs over here pay more than in the states so that would partly offset the increased cost of living, but it won't pay for London prices.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Originally posted by Adam
    London is one of the most expensive cities in the world to live and do business in.
    The US Govt. pays an allowance (COLA) to its employees to cover the difference between the US and UK.

http://www.cnauk.navy.mil/Allowances...20Allowance%20(COLA).htm

Currently this is .42 which means that it is 42% more expensive to live here than there.
    Pretty much we find that what an item costs in $ in the US costs the same in British Pounds here and the exchange rate is 1.7.
    For example, I bought my daughters Ipods last year for $300 in Houston when they were costing £300 here (which is $510)
    Living in the US last year I would estimate that on average, supermarket shopping costs about 1/3 more in the UK.

Most importantly, if you are bringing the HD, Gas costs the equivalent of $6.00 gallon for Shell Optimax.
    I just filled up this morning

To be honest, we would all move to Florida if we could
    if you had to deal with all these da#n hurricanes you would change your mind!!

On The Wrong East Coast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey I rather have a lot of wind than the amount of sh*t we have here.......LOL

KevF

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The cost of living is the exact reason I now live in california.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    oh yeah, thats why cali is so cheap right lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is compared to the uk.

I moved here 6 yrs ago, was born in manchester, lived there till I was 8 then moved to north wales untill I was 20.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The reason I asked is the wife has an offer for a consulting job for 1 year in the London area. 67000 pounds per year + 7500 pounds per year car allowance. Being US citizens will she have to pay UK taxes on it? She doesn't want to take it if it is going to cost more than that to live. We are hoping she can get a job in Europe for a year so we can travel and sightsee a bit as well. The HD truck would stay here.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow. about 100k a year. i say go for it just dont forget the cost of living

On The Wrong East Coast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Fepony,

That is a good salary.

My take on it would be that its only for a year. I would grab the chance rather than have regrets later in life.
    Better to retire with memories than retire with regrets.
    I turned down an offer to work in Houston 17 years ago and now I kick myself everytime I go to the USofA.
    The Uk and Europe have some wonderful places to visit and sights to see and what better way of doing it than if you are being paid to be here.
    Hey, its only a year right so it won't break the bank.
    What part of London would you be in and would the company pay for the accomodation? House rentals are very high in the centre of London so that would be a God send if they did.

Hope you make the right decision.

KevF

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well it can be a great part of the world to live in but London is like every other BIG city that you have ever been too that said its a darn good base to do the sight seeing that you want to do. As has been sugested consider other areas close to London I live in Brighton right on the coast it's only 50 min from London by train or around 50 or so miles by car although the traffic is a mare. As for the tax thing I'm not sure I do know that if we are out of the country for a year we would have to pay local tax so I would check that with the IRS for more info I hope this helps you some and if you do decide to come on over for the year dont be shy were here to help Dean.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not to worry my brother. If we get there you guys are going to be the first peeps I call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast