Thread: Wow!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow!

Well, she is on the road. Built bottom end, ported heads, larger valves, Crower stage 2 cams, Kenne Bell s/c, long tube headers, high flow cats, x-pipe, and Magna flow mufflers. Also have the monster box with 2400 stall.
    I am only running a 4 pound lower pulley till break in is done, then the 6 lber goes on to have a street boost of 13.5 lbs.
    After the build up and the initial runs all I have is a small leak at the r/h collector which I will replace with a better seal in the morning. If that is all I have had I am very happy. I have driven now 250 miles and no leaks of any kind.
    I have to install my boost a spark, which I want to do so I don't have to keep pulling the plugs and re gapping them when I go to the track with my 20.5 psi boost. I have to install my remote tranny cooler, with fan, and run the wires for my tranny temp as well.
    After 175 miles I started to raise my rpm more. All I can say is WOW. The cams can really be felt coming into play after about 2700 rpm. Seems to be a real big increase in power. At the higher rpm the KB just runs circles over the Eaton hands down. No loss of power what so ever at the higher rpms. Just keeps pulling and very hard too. At idle you can hear the lope but doesn't shake the truck as I have heard others say the stage two's would do. No complaints there at all.
    I took it to 4500 from a stop and when the 1-2 shift hit( no more torque reduction) it broke the tires loose. I was rather surprised, hate to see what it does when I am at the 13.5 and having it to the floor on the shift.
    I will be getting my dyno tune the second week in June but the temporary tune seems to be performing well as is. I will take it to the max shift points in a few days and run her hard and pull the plugs to make sure all is well. So far so good. Can't wait till she is tuned and I hit the track!

03 Hd...Black

Mods...........Built bottom end, Ported heads, Stage 2 Crower Cams, KB s/c, Long tube headers, hight flow cats, X-pipe, magna flow mufflers, Airforce one Intake with home made airbox, Stainless intake tube, Monster box tranny, remote trany cooler with fan, elctric fan....and the list goes on....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't wait to hear about the times. I have an '03 2-tone and want to do some mods but really don't even know where to start. Any suggestions would be great!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Bull,

Well, the question is, how much do you want to spend? With that, then you can get the best list of the top mods for the money you wish to spend. On a supercharged engine, the best bang for the buck is to free up as much air restriction on the front side of the supercharger..intake side, and going with a larger lower pulley and/or smaller upper one. When you do the pulleys you should get a dyno run with a/f ratios to make sure all is ok there. Electric fans also free up a good amount of power as well....If you aren't going too high on the boost don't waste your money on a single blade t.b. the cost is not worth the gains, unless you get over about 13-14 psi, then you will start to see gains with the single blade. The stock airbox, when you put a k&n filter in it, is good till about 450 hp at the fly. After that you will need to modify that part of the intake to get more airflow to the supercharger.
    There is so much one can do to get more ponies out of these trucks, just depends on what you want and how much you wish to spend....Just remember, you will need to help the tranny out as well. The best bang is a complete valve body. I don't recommend mod line valves and the such...go with the whole package on the valve body.....

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ecm747x - Have you had your truck on the dyno yet. Had mine tuned today and very disappointed with the figures. Have only about 8#'s boost, so they are going to change the pulley again to get more boost and hopefully put out more HP.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HD2NV89 , can you post your dyno results?

Thanks
    Jeff

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1jt - Don't have the actual figures, but actual engine HP was only in the 300's. Belt was slipping and have to change the lower pulley for more boost. They still have the truck, so hope the figures will move up after the other work is completed. Brian took the truck home last night to drive around to check out the trans, so will probably end up doing some trans work also. The torque was in the high 400's.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HD2NV89,
    what kind of dyno?
    what mods do you have?
    Mustang Dynos always read considerably lower than Dynojets.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    HD2,

yes I had my truck on a mustang dyno and was over 500/600. I don't have the slip in front of me right now. But I have had some changes done..long story....But will have it on one again shortly after i check my current tune on the wide band.....

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Getting closer, had a complete new fuel system installed but used the 255 liters/hour in tank pump from Holley which had to be adapted to the larger lines. Smaller S/C blower pulley and having a 10# & 14# lower pulley being made at present time. 80 mm Lightning mass air meter, 42# Injector kit and new chip and tune.
    Bottom end finished, and motor reassembled. Also putting in dual Spal electric fans. Then we go! ecm, what do you think about a higher boost over the 14#? Only intend to use for street.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hd2NV89,

You confuse me completely. What kind of truck do you have and what year? 80mm MAF? 42 lbs inj kit? it doesn't sound like it was originally a 2001-2003 HD to me.
    As far as running over 14 on the street. I keep mine at 14 for a daily driver. No since being hard on my engine with 18.5 for on the road use. Mine is down right scary running 18.5. I then wouldn't be able to let my wife drive it with that much boost. She has a hard enough time with only 14. I can hardly keep my tires hooked up running 14 lbs boost as is.
    It is more of a preference really. I just run mine conservatively on the street. I very seldom even flip my chip to the race tune. I only put on the smaller upper when I am heading to a race with a vehicle I know is very fast. Takes only 5 minutes and I keep the tools in the truck to swap them out. It is up to you really.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ecm
    I have an 00 HD with a Holley S/C. All the other work has been completed except for the lower pulley. The original stock Holley set up is designed to give 7# boost. Since I have had the lower end reworked, I wanted to increase the boost, but evidently Holley does not make anything other than the "stock" pulley that comes with their package. The larger fuel rails are a result of the first dyno, where the ratio looked like a roller coaster. Starving to death. Have decided on running the 10# but keeping the 14# also.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ok,

Now it makes sence. I have installed two Holley kits on friends of mine trucks. What a major pain in the rear that kit is. The first one went very slow and the instructions didn't match a lot of areas for the application being installed on. But got past that and knew what to expect on the second, so was a much easier and quicker install there. Just remember when you put the bigger lower on you will need to have the chip retuned.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just had retuned, and am adding two sixteen inch Spal electric fans, and ordered an upgrade trans fm Performance Automotive & Transmission Center in Bossier City, La yesterday. I don't have a cam, but told the shop where I have the truck that it is a must in the future, so we ordered a 2400 stall trans. What is your opinion on that (trans stall speed)?