Thread: How To: Remove Fuel Filter

GetBusyLivinOrGetBusyDyin
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

How To: Remove Fuel Filter

Well after searching all the previous threads on doing my fuel filter, I thought I would have no problem removing mine for the first time. Wrong. I ended up with the wrong tool and spent way too long trying to figure out how it worked and why I couldn't get the stupid filter to come loose from the line.

So I finally went back and found the right tool and decided I would take some photos and put together a How To for anyone else thinking of changing their filter. It really is easy once you know how to do it, so lets find out how!

First, I have an 03 HD and there is a difference between it and the previous years. The fuel line tool is only needed on the exit side of the filter. The input side has a simple dove tail clip that pushes off by hand or slight help from a flat head screw driver.

The factory fuel filter is Motorcraft #FG-986B. If you are doing this for the first time, get your filter first and then take it on your search for the correct fuel line tool to fit. My first attempt yielded a tool that was too large (smallest side was 3/8"), but that may be the one needed for earlier models. For the 03 I needed a 5/16" fuel line tool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 1FastSCrew; 02-03-2006 at 10:52 PM.
    Justin

NHTOC#157 / 03 2-tone #9101
    444 RWHP / 527 Ft-lbs TQ SAE

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Now, as for purging the fuel lines, or letting the truck sit forever, or tripping the switch under the passenger kick plate, there seems to be a lot of mixed results. The one thing I know for sure, if you drive your truck and then immediately try to remove the line (even after opening the gas cap), there will still be pressure built up that will cause a spraying of the fuel as you remove the line. I would recommend waiting an hour after last use before removing the line.

On the 03's, you will disconnect the input fuel line by simply pushing up on the white clip by hand or perhaps using a small flat head screwdriver. Once the clip is up all the way, slowly pull the fuel line off. DO NOT POSITION YOURSELF DIRECTLY UNDER THE FILTER WHILE DOING THIS. Using Josh's trick, place an empty cool whip bowl or a cap off an aerosol can on the frame rail just below the tip of the filter where you are removing the line. I found it best to tilt as much fuel from the filter as I could at this point.

On the exit side of the 03 (and both sides of prior year models), you will need to remove the safety clip before moving on to disconnecting the line. Simply push the large loop of the safety clip in toward the fuel line and slide out of the way.
    Last edited by 1FastSCrew; 02-03-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Next, use your fuel line tool (at the smallest possible setting that still wraps entirely around the neck of the filter, 5/16" on mine) and push it inside the fuel line to release the inner clips from the filter and then slide the line slowly off the filter. Again place a catch can on the frame rail to allow any excess fuel to flow into and do not locate yourself directly under the filter.

Empty as much of the remaining fuel from the filter as you can and pull the filter out from its bracket and then you are ready for a new filter!

Anyone with photos or other info on prior years please add to this thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by 1FastSCrew; 02-03-2006 at 10:50 PM.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you use the tool on both ends for 02/01...I am sure that the 00 is the same....heck my 98 expy is the same as my 02.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yep same for 00, both ends.

i'll have to get a pic of the tool i got. its a little ampro 5/16th one with a rubber band around it. basically like the scissor type just a bit more compact and sticks on the rail by itself.

nice write up btw, definately helps out for first timers, i know i was nervious about swapping the filter the 1st time pics definately would have helped

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got the little plastic set. It'sgot a buch of sizes. Nice hwo to.

RIP Blake
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is what I use.

2000 Ford Lightning -- Silver
    2002 Ford Harley Davidson -- DSG
    1993 Ford Lightning -- Red

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    THATS IT!!! its made by ampro. advance auto and pepboys sell them. its nice since its small to fit in any tight spots, and the rubber band keeps it cliped on the fuel rail so you can worry about catching any fuel dripping out and not worry about dropping the tool on your face or something

red is 5/16th, the yellow/gold one is 3/8 i believe

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Fuel line Upgrade??

Hey, has anyone upgraded the fuel supply to a 3/8's line?? And what filter replacement did you use and is it a mod that really does anything???

I have also seen several discussions on a replacement "Y" coming from the tank, can someone give me some insight on that mod too??

Thanks folks,

Mo
    BigMo

2003 Harley Supercrew F150
    Black and Blown!
    Only Mild Mods (right now)
    2007 "Screaming Eagle Dyna"
    110' motor, lets just say it flies. Cams, bigger injectors, headers, "ROLL OUT!"
    2001 FLSTF "Fatboy" Pearl White
    95"motor,chrome to the max, cams, carb work, headers, ign. box, , mild head work
    Also, '97 F250HD 4wd
    turbo diesel, many mods, pulls hard
    "RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT, GET ER DONE!!"

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i think JDM has a fuel line upgrade setup, but most likely overpriced, and doesnt seem to be necessary unless you shoot on running 9's or something

the Y in the fuel tank is the line that connects the 2 pumps. stock its a plastic Y and some guys have had problems with the Y crushing and collapsing and stopping fuel flow from one pump. a SS Y is cheap insurace to advoid any problems

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Laugh RE: Fuel filter

Hey thanks! I am going to change the filter this weekend, while I do the TPS tuning thing, and some other little tweaks. Appreciate it.

Mo

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Easiest way to remove fuel pressure is to remove #10 fuse (fuel pump), start the truck (it will start) and let it run until it dies (doesn't take long without fuel pump pressure). Or just change the filter in the morning after the truck has been sitting in the garage overnight. Just change it before turning the key on and re-pressurizing the system.
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25