Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: GAYLORD GB (2006): sign up here

YEEARAH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry, forgot to post up after i ordered the lid. I placed the order last wednesday.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiDef03
    Sorry, forgot to post up after i ordered the lid. I placed the order last wednesday.
    NP, already got you on the list based on our PMs/e-mails.

Back to a KB
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got my lid today.

Thanks to the efforts of Stew (for a ton of help) and Mikey (for some new bed caps) the lid is on - despite the fact that Gaylord was being paid to install it.

Stew and I were asked to unbolt the bed to move the bed back to allow the lid to line up better - otherwise this install was not going to get finished today. So be aware of this for any of you who choose to install yourselves. I was not impressed with Gaylord's install - but they said they do this all the time - however, Stew and I had to fix things for them? The locking setup is cool.. the paint on the lid looks great... however, the new locking mechanism is a bit weird. The rear of the lid sits up higher. The installer told me that it is not advised to have it sit lower since the automatic locking mechanism may jam and even the key might have problems unlocking. It doesn't look bad, but it looks part open even if its locked.

Maybe I'm just grumpy cause I still have fiberglass shavings buried in my backside when I had to lay on the floor to unbolt my nitrous bracket so we can fight with the zipper to pull up the bedrug so we can get to the bolts to unbolt the bed which Gaylord should have done given I was paying them to install it.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airtroop01
    I got my lid today.

Thanks to the efforts of Stew (for a ton of help) and Mikey (for some new bed caps) the lid is on - despite the fact that Gaylord was being paid to install it.

Stew and I were asked to unbolt the bed to move the bed back to allow the lid to line up better - otherwise this install was not going to get finished today. So be aware of this for any of you who choose to install yourselves. I was not impressed with Gaylord's install - but they said they do this all the time - however, Stew and I had to fix things for them? The locking setup is cool.. the paint on the lid looks great... however, the new locking mechanism is a bit weird. The rear of the lid sits up higher. The installer told me that it is not advised to have it sit lower since the automatic locking mechanism may jam and even the key might have problems unlocking. It doesn't look bad, but it looks part open even if its locked.

Maybe I'm just grumpy cause I still have fiberglass shavings buried in my backside when I had to lay on the floor to unbolt my nitrous bracket so we can fight with the zipper to pull up the bedrug so we can get to the bolts to unbolt the bed which Gaylord should have done given I was paying them to install it.
    no problem bro...good thing I showed up with my toools...that was kinda lame on their behalf....but hey we got her done.....

They should have only charged ya half of the install price since we did half!!!

made it home with the old tonneau unscathed...nairy even a flinch from her....now to find some room to temp store until I can get it to my boss once he gets back in town....

I will bring a couple tools and we can tweak the way it sits a little better when I see ya at Knotts on Sunday

YEEARAH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you say move the bed? That's crazy! Is that completely necessary for the install? I'm a little nervous about that. We'll see what happens i guess.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it can be...depends on how the installed the bed from the factory....basically.

There needs to be enough room between the back of the bed wall and the cab to allow for the Lid to have a free range of motion and not open up into the cab...

Movving/adjusting the bed is typical easy if you dont have as much crap going on in the bed of your truck like Troop does..LOL

6 bolts hold the bed down...all you have to do is loosen them and then you can move the bed enogh to get the clearance if you need to.. The bolts are Torx bit #T50....

From what I understand...they do this when they install them for you...and the customer is none the wiser unless you happen to watch the install...
    Last edited by bgstew6; 04-08-2006 at 12:08 AM.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Received my lid yesterday. Only had time to test fit it. It seems to me that the lid is a little too wide near the cab (about a half inch gap on both sides). I know I've read this before. The finish seems to be very good. I hope the gap will grow on me. At this point it doesn't look as if I'll have to move my bed.

Airtroop - How is the fit on yours ?

Kromdom - Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf.

Back to a KB
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FL02
    Received my lid yesterday. Only had time to test fit it. It seems to me that the lid is a little too wide near the cab (about a half inch gap on both sides). I know I've read this before. The finish seems to be very good. I hope the gap will grow on me. At this point it doesn't look as if I'll have to move my bed.

Airtroop - How is the fit on yours ?

Kromdom - Thanks again for all your efforts on our behalf.
    The extra bit it hangs over on the sides doesn't bother me. They did that since it was rubbing on the bed rails according to the guy at Gaylord. The part that does bother me is the amt. it hangs over in the back. Also, the locking mechanism where you have to push down on the tonneau to get it to lock sucks in my opinion. Say you have a dirty truck (sorry mine gets driven daily and looks like a mudball sometimes - esp. if it rains).... then you have to put your hands on the lid and slam it down to engage the locking mechanism... you've just rubbed dirt in your paint. I'm going to ditch the locking mechanism and get some power tonneau opener setup to eliminate that problem. Yeah, it bothers me that much. I would have prefered the old style. Other than that, the thing looks great and I went to the Fabulous Fords Forever Car Show at knotts berry farm... the tonneau got a lot of compliments... and it makes the truck look tough.

jpanchalk
    Name:

Airtroop & Stew:

Thanks for the heads-up on install glitches. I'll be doing this myself, so that was definitely good to hear.

Anyone else who installs, or watches, let us know any other snags you run into.

Hi Ho Silver
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just got the call mine arrived at my work. Going to get my trailer and pick up.

YEEARAH!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good news: My lid showed up today.
    Bad news: It was damaged in shipping so i refused it.
    Bummer, i was really excited to get this thing on.

Missing my Roush
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Crap, I can't believe I missed this deal....

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8