Thread: Chickenears Stage II Ram Air Scoop

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chickenears Stage II Ram Air Scoop

IMPORTANT NOTE!!! My scoop is the Series 1 NOT a bolt in fit for the HD... Sorry to Tim for not clarifying that up front... Also.. for anyone who reads this... this install is simple.. if you can change a tire in Khaki slacks with minimal dirt on your pants you can do this... sorry for any confusion!!

What you will need:

** std & deep metric 1/4" & 3/8" sockets, extentions, u-joint, rachets
    ** (2) 3/8 or (2) 9-10mm speed clip/u-nuts & matching 1.25" overall length bolts (the stockers are just not quite long enough)

** cordless drill, 3/16" drill bit, & a 3/4" Uni-bit
    ** (2) good sized flat screwdrivers or pry bars.
    ** beverages

Initial notes..

1.) the as delivered system uses the stock HE hardware to install the scoop. The stock 10mm lower HE bolts are just barely long enough. the instructions say the OEM bolts go through the scoop legs, through the lower HE bracket hole & into the speed nut on the bumper. yeah... I don't think so. Additionally, the wrestling match of manipulating the scoop, bolts etc & NOT scratching paint is nearly impossible... being on the ground on your back... impossible... there is just not enough room unthere for both hands, a ratchet or wrench, the bolt & balancing everything...

So my solution was to remove the lower grill (j-jent or stock) move the OEM Speed-Nuts from the bumper, & install the speednuts on the legs of the scoop, & run the bolts from the bumper side (through the lower grill opening). LOTS more clearance in FRONT of the bumper... I make it sound SOO easy.. getting the stock speed-nuts off SUCKS... I had to cut mine & pry them out.. just FYI...

compare this to what you see on your stock bumper:

Sorry I didn't get the before pic or a pic of the speed nut on the scoop leg(s). maybe later when I swap HE's I'll update.

2.) as delivered the scoop will hang just below the lowest point of the front valance & about 1 1/16" below the stock HE. If you have no plans for an upgraded HE or not immediately & want the scoop up close... do this:

Measure down on the legs exactly 2" down. mark this. then mark from the left/right 1/2" (the legs are 1" wide overall) on your previous 2" mark for your drill point. Drill with the 3/16" bit to start. then take your 3/4" unit bit & run it all the way through. This gives you a hole just large enough for the Speed-nut to sit flush/correctly & a little wiggle room for alignment. I will update pics of the drilled legs soon. the final installed "adjusted" scoop will look like this:

tight to the Stock HE

if you update the HE, you can go back to the as delivered for the larger HE.

3.) Install the flex brake ducts on one end of the metal tube. Use a twisting motion to "roll" the duct over the tube. Add the (2) loose clamps for future use. Install & tighen the clamps to secure both flex hoses. Pay attention to where the clamps face, once they are in the truck, you want to be able to get to them with a ratchet.

4.) take an 8mm socket & remove the (2) bolts holding the HE pump/bracket as an assembly. just carefully let it hang on its hoses.

5.) lower the flex hose/metal tube/spare clamps from the top... LONG HOSE GOES TOWARD THE SCOOP (DOWN). Leave it loose... trust me... loose. The long flex hose goes BETWEEN the fan shroud & the rubber/metal trans cooler line.. the cooler line keeps it up & positions it in line with the scoop.

6.) Lay another clamp over the end of the scoop nipple. slip the long hose over the end of the scoop. once over & down about 1/2"-3/4" install & tighten the clamp. Reinstall the HE/Pump bracket assembly... the flex tube will look like this:

7.) back up top. Lay the metal tube/clamps/flex hoses over to the passenger side. Install the (2) aluminum brackets provided. the one that is tweaked goes on top. Here is the installed metal tube with the brackets clearly visible.

That is where I am today... I have to run get the connection for my Volant air box & then install the final clamp on the end of the short flex hose.

Rob W
    Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 03-10-2006 at 08:52 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2002GreyHD150
    What you will need:

** std & deep metric 1/4" & 3/8" sockets, extentions, u-joint, rachets
    ** (2) 3/8 or (2) 9-10mm speed clip/u-nuts & matching 1.25" overall length bolts (the stockers are just not quite long enough)

** cordless drill, 3/16" drill bit, & a 3/4" Uni-bit
    ** (2) good sized flat screwdrivers or pry bars.
    ** beverages

Initial notes..

1.) the as delivered system uses the stock HE hardware to install the scoop. The stock 10mm lower HE bolts are just barely long enough. the instructions say the OEM bolts go through the scoop legs, through the lower HE bracket hole & into the speed nut on the bumper. yeah... I don't think so. Additionally, the wrestling match of manipulating the scoop, bolts etc & NOT scratching paint is nearly impossible... being on the ground on your back... impossible... there is just not enough room unthere for both hands, a ratchet or wrench, the bolt & balancing everything...
    Thanks for the write up but I don't know where in the instructions that we mention using the heat exchanger hardware to install the scoop. The scoop bolts directly to the bumper mounting speed nuts and has nothing whatsoever to do with the heat exchanger. Can you enlighten me? What did I miss?

The OEM bumper mounting bolts are what holds the scoop in place, not the heat exchanger. If correctly inserted into the speed nuts the OEM bolts work fine. I agree they are a little short but like we say in the instructions, be careful when installing them, they strip quite easily.

Also, the scoop you installed is version 1 of our scoop that wasn't even designed for Harleys. The new version is, and has lots of adjuistability built in. There is no need for exoctic tools, just simple hand tools will install it, no drilling required either.

You paint a picture of it being a hard complicated installation and it's NOT!! It's a piece of cake if the included instructions are followed. Maybe you can re-read the instructions and show me where the stock heat exchanger hardware is involved in this installation.

Please reply and let's get to the bottom of this basically simple installation made hard by you.

Thanks sincerely,

Tim @ Chickenears

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hmmm... well...

1.) Tim we tried a couple times to fax the instructions... weren't successfull. I read through the written (pics not visible) got the gist... its installed correctly.. maybe the HE mount point on an HD is different than a L??

2.) Please post a pic of the location of the scoop in relation to the HE... the HE bracket bolts to the same bumper bolts
    on an '02 HD

3.) I didn't in any way make it complicated. I stated that on your back, trying to balance everything & using the, as you admit, short oem bolts... I was tyring to show there can be an easier way.

4.) I know you have an updated version of the scoop for the HD's.. I will adjust the write up to reflect I was using a first round Lightning kit... I didn't list any exotic tools... a drill bit or 2 is hardly exotic...

5.) on a lift... I am sure the install is indeed a piece of cake.. the install was, relative to my expereicence a piece of cake anyway.. Drilling a couple holes & flipping some hardware is hardly difficult..

I will post more pics of the HE/Bumper bracket in the morning.

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    close ups of the bumper bracket, scoop bracket & the black bracket is the HE main bracket.. this is the pass side.

in this one you can see clearly the elongated hole of the Series 1 Lightning Scoop & where I drilled the 3/4" whole to pull the scoop up tight.

Scoop to HE relationship, the scoop bracket is tight, & behind the HE & you can see the relationship to the lower valance.

Scoop bracket to HE:

Tim... let me know if that makes more sense... I have looked the entire bumper area for an alternate set of holes & speed nuts... these are the only ones... so I am not sure...

Sorry if I implied it was "complicated"... its not even remotely complicated... Series 2 might be even better... a longer bolt for the bracket would be a major help.

Rob W
    Last edited by 2002GreyHD150; 03-10-2006 at 09:29 AM.

FEATURED
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim... let me know if that makes more sense... I have looked the entire bumper area for an alternate set of holes & speed nuts... these are the only ones... so I am not sure...

Sorry if I implied it was "complicated"... its not even remotely complicated... Series 2 might be even better... a longer bolt for the bracket would be a major help.

Rob W
    Rob, would be easier to make and lable your "notes" on the pictures themselves.. open Paint Shop or something real easy, and go from there.

I for one am lost on looking at what your describing in your pics. Im sure if I had the part in front of me though, it would all make sence.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Krix... I am using image host to make the pics easier to show... but I can modify the pics & repost... thanks for the tip...

anyone reading.. check back.. I will modify the pics & repost them.

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Noted & updated...

Rob W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rob W
    Rob,

I know you meant nothing but the best, it just seemed like you were making something simple complicated. Now I see what you're talking about with the heat exchanger mount. Lightnings don't mount that way, who would have thunk it? Anyway, we will be including mounting bolts with the kits and they will be longer than stock and should cure this problem.

Thanks again,

Tim

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    no worries... I gotto thinking.. the front of my truck has been apart 4 times for paint in '05... who knows the body shop may have messed with some of the mounting points...

but it fits beautiful in any config.

Rob W