Thread: Need Bilsteins - Part numbers and other info please

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need Bilsteins - Part numbers and other info please

These stock shocks are killing me. The truck rides like it is on a pillow, not a bad ride in terms of smoothness, but just too soft over long speed tables and the like. When you hit a bump, it should be there and gone. This truck feels like it rocks back and forth.

I want to change the stock shocks out for something that does not lower the truck (I had to hike the front end 1.5 inches with a spring lift to keep the body from grinding on the 23 inch rims) as I am not interested in lowering. If I could raise the whole thing an inch I'd probably do it, but that is not a priority.

Many seem to like the Bilsteins, although I do not understand the different models/types of the Bilsteins or the valving, etc of the various Bilsteins.

I do not mind (and actually prefer) if the ride is firmer. I tow boats and a race car with the truck, also, so that should be factored in. What shock (brand, part number and where do I get?) is generally recommended for this? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Put this in wrong forum, mine is a 2002. Sorry about that, will repost there.

Name:

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    From the How To Forum:

Lightning Bilstein Shocks

1L3Z-18124-AC (front)
    1L3Z-18125-AA (rear)

F65Z-18197-BB (rear insulator nut, need two)

Though you should really use the SuperCrew spec shocks.

http://www.bilstein.com/302truckssuvs.pdf
    Last edited by dermaestro; 04-07-2006 at 05:40 PM.

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2002greyHD150 posted this in another thread in the suspension section.....

"OK... I'll try to post this here & maybe it won't get lost somewhere...

the difference between the L-spec Bilsteins & the Screw Bilsteins is the valving to accomodate for the WEIGHT dfifference in the trucks. & a touch of ride height difference due to leaf spring application. Just like Hotchkis has 2 different Leaf springs, the Bilsteins are valved differently... & YES there are a THIRD (TVS-L) & FOURTH (TVS-Screw) bilstein valving in the TVS set up, due to the spring rate differences in the TVS versus the SVT & HD leaf springs.

NEITHER IS SOFTER OR FIRMER WHEN USED ON THE CORRECT APPLICATION. NEITHER IS BETTER OR WORSE! THEY ARE JUST DIFFERENT

Yes, if you used an Screw shock on an L, then the Screw Shock would be "bouncy" because it is valved for more weight. Conversely, if you put the L-spec Shock on a Screw, not only are they technically a tad short, but they are going to "feel" soft, due to the Lightnings lighter weight valving bias....

Make sense? Simple physics folks... More weight moving needs more spring to carry the load. More spring/sprung tension needs more compression/rebound to stop the spring from springing...

Rob W"

hope that helps...........