Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DDX 7015 not sitting flush

Name: Sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

DDX 7015 not sitting flush

Well I got my truck back from my Buddy who had it for 2 months installing my stereo system. (I'll have some pics at a later date) My buddy didn't build my box with the 12w7, I'll have to get that done at a later date. But he did install my Kenwood DDX7015 and it's not sitting flush in the opening. The top part is, but the bottom sticks out a little bit. I remember a thread on what someone had to do to get it to sit flush but for some reason when I couldn't find the exact thread. Can anyone help me out as to what I need to do?
    Sean E.
    '02 DSG HD ( Gone but will always have a special place in my heart...)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just to give an update. I saw a previous thread that had a picture of the DDX-7015 installed. It looks like the bottom sticks out on that as well. I'll have to take a better look at it tomorrow in the daytime. The interior light isn't that great.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if the bottom doesnt sit flush its prob the wiring thats in the way.. did he put anything to hold it in place?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think so. He did say he had a tough time getting it to sit flush. He also said that it's just being held on by the plastic surround piece. So I expect that when I go to remove that oem piece the radio will jump out at me j/k BTW HellRaiza, it was your picture I was referencing as a guide.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I'm able to see the radio better now that the sun is out. And the radio is just sitting in there. It looks like some modification to the surround will need to take place to make it sit flush. BTW, I also noticed that the right side door speakers are not playing at all. I guess I'll have to give my buddy a call on that as well. This was not what I was expecting after he had my truck for 2 months and also paying for the audio pieces and labor.
    Last edited by SoFlaHarley; 03-29-2006 at 07:37 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sean... Im with 'Raiza.. either the wiring or the factory rear support bracket is in the way... if you don't engage the rear support mount just right into the bracket it will kick the bottom out.

Also, look to be sure the radio bezel is fully seated... LOL I did that TWICE on my truck...

ROb W

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    SoFla if you need help getting everything to work correctly, i do installations all day long so i can help you out on one of my days off if ur friend doesnt fix everything. just PM me.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well I'm taking my lunch break now so I'll have a chance to work on getting it to fit right. There's nothing holding the radio in except the plastic surround then I'll see about getting the right side of the truck working. It may be loose connections at the amp or something. HellRaiza I may take you up on that offer. Thanks.

PM sent
    Last edited by SoFlaHarley; 03-29-2006 at 01:00 PM.

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sean, when we installed mine in the 4x4, we threw away the stock mounting box because of the width and went with a Street Wire box. It required minimal trimming to get it in. Hope this helps.

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sounds like you need to pick better friends. so let me get this straight. you couldnt go racing with us because you were dropping off your truck for the install. then when you get it back its not right. that sucks all around.

Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah that's what it boils down to. Now the passenger side speakers don't work again. They worked earlier this afternoon after they didn't work this morning on my way to work. Mike that sounds like an option I'll think about it. 'Raiza is going to take a look at it for me sometime This weekend. Also I didn't mention that he broke the plastic bezel that covers the window switches, power door locks. Also the plastic panel on the passenger side of the dashboard is all warped and I had to order both pieces from NDEBT. I'm not a happy camper right now. I have mids and highs but no bass. And I have a huge 12w7 sitting under my dining table because he didn't have the time and tools to build my box. I do plan on having everything done before 4/29 though.

Will Sell Organs 4 Money!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    2 MONTHS!!!!
    that seems like an awful long time to do the half @ssed job it sounds like he did!
    did you record the mileage before you dropped it off, because if i didnt know better i would say your truck has a few extra miles on it now!
    sounds like the problem with the door speakers is a loose connection, or a bad connection, maybe he used cheap wiring that is not getting a good charge.
    the head unit does sound like he just stuffed the wires behind the HU and shoved everything back into semi-place.
    sorry to hear about this hopefully it will all work out and you will have a kick *** system when all is said and done.

-Nick

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    Sean,

When I did mine, I used everything that came in the box. I had to cut a bit more of the plastic stuff in the dash to get the double din size unit to fit but this is very necessary. Probably 1/2" at the top and 1/4" at the bottom. This area has to be cut and cleared all the way back for the full depth of the unit. The A/C vents/radio bezel covers all of that area anyway so you can't see what has been cut. You should use the metal surround box that comes with it. This is used to hold the unit in place. It has little metal barbs on it that you bend out to hook into the opening you cut. Then you slide your radio unit into this and it locks it in place. You'll need to slide the little thin tools in along the sides to remove the head deck. See installed pics from my gallery below.

Chuck

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks Chuck. This unit was my friends piece he had in his F150. There is no metal sleeve holding the radio in place or a trim piece surrounding the radio. I'll call him to see if he still has it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sean, Kenwood service/install parts are usually pretty cheap & easy to get... contact an authorized kenwood mobile audio service center... they can hook up with a new sleeve/cage & the trim ring... figure $10-15 for the cage & $5-7 for the trim ring.

Sounds like another reason to hang around when work is being done... the local Dallas guys come over to the house all the time when I work on their trucks... Ask Steinjr... he beats me up on everything I do! (j/k Sheridan) that is what keeps the install going safely & no suprises.

I hate to hear about messed up/broken up/hakced up installs... makes all the installers who do it right look even worse...

Rob W

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast