Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WBC Installed

DSG
    Name: P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WBC Installed

I finished up my Wideband Commander project yesterday. Needless to say while it is time consuming the install is not really as difficult as one may think. I also took some pictures that may hopefully help others thinking of trying the same install. The locations for tapping into the existing truck harness were not hard to locate at all.

I followed the install info that I found on NLOC (Thanks mjmscott and Brucewrs). I did make a connection change (TPS and MAF) as suggested by RWTD (listed below).

http://www.nloc.net/forum/showthread.php?t=101596

The correct connections are listed below (Allows you to datalog MAF with WBC only)

WBC orange wire to PCM plug #79 white/red stripe. (RPM)
    WBC analog 2 yellow/red stripe wire to PCM plug #89 gray/white stripe. (TPS)
    WBC analog 1 gray wire to PCM plug #88 light blue/red stripe. (MAF)
    WBC red wire to steering column blue/green wire or to fuse box lower right 30 amp fuse. (Fused Key On 12v)
    WBC brown wire to switch then to steering column blue/green wire or to fuse box lower right 30 amp fuse. (Fused Key On 12v)
    WBC gauge light power wire to headlight switch harness small light blue/red stripe wire.
    Ground wires to dash ground.

I started by taken the column surround, upper surround and lower dash cover off.

After getting your gauge installed run your wires through the dash and down to a location where your WBC box will be located. I Used an A pillar pod and there is a nice gap where the factory A pillar meets the dash board. Move the rubber gasket out of the way and snake your wiring through the dash.

Then I located the dimmer switch harness which is the small harness on connected to the headlight switch assembly (blue/red).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S/C-HD2002; 04-02-2006 at 02:23 PM.

DSG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I then located keyed source harness which comes off the steering column. This is the 12v keyed source (blue/green) for the WBC. I also hooked this up as my key source for my tranny gauge.

DSG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I proceeded to remove the battery, battery tray and then remove the PCM harness plug from the PCM. It was very simple to locate the proper numbered wires to make the correct connections. The PCM harness has the numbers stamped on the harness plug. The first connection is the far top left corner (when the harness plug is layed on its back, numbers upright). The first connection is marked #79 and is white/red (RPM). Then count over on the top row of wires until you get to #88 light blue/red (MAF) and right next to it #89 grey/white (TPS). Tap into these locations and reinstall the harness plug. Make you connections and run the wires back into the truck.

I ran my wires through the plastic cover below the cowl and into the interior using the body plug next to the brake booster.
    Last edited by S/C-HD2002; 04-02-2006 at 11:32 AM.

DSG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I then moved under the truck and located a good spot for the O2 bung. I used an angle drill, 7/8" hole saw and a bunch of magnets to catch the metal chips. I then shoved a magnet into the hole to try and get any chips that may have fallen in. I also used the shop vac to try and pull any more chips out (I think the magnet caught them all )

Put the bung in place and then weld it up. Our factory exhaust has carbon steel content in it. Although it is a ***** to weld because of available room and position a mig welder will work just fine.

Install O2 sensor and run the wires up into the cab. I ran mine up through the same body plug by the brake booster.

DSG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Once all the wires are run into the truck hook the 02 harness to the WBC and start splicing wires together. I also ran my (brown) data logging wire to a switch under the dash. I used a lead from the keyed 12v source to power this also.

I ran my ground wires under the fuse box, so hopefully this will be adequate. Once everything was connected, I velcroed the WBC under the lower dash panel and zip tied all the loose wires up. I have a large budle of wire under the dash, but this is because I didn't cut any of the WBC supplied wires down to length. I wanted to make sure my mounting would work okay and would rather have too much wire left than be too short.

Besides hand tools and the welder, I used a bunch of misc. butt splice connectors, ground lugs, T-taps, quick connects, extra lengths of wire (I used all 16 ga), zip ties, wire loom, etc.

Hope this can be a help to someone!

Pat

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nice write up......

Needs to Be a STICKY MODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where did you mount the guage?
    Nice writeup .

DSG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gauge was mounted on the driver's A-pillar.

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=26607

In GLOCK I trust
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What was all of that brownish particulate matter in your engine compartment? Oh my god, that's dirt!!!!!!!!!! Nice write up Pat. Now I can go ahead and buy one and you can help me install it. Get with me so we can do those plugs!!!!!
    Scotto

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice write-up. Perfect timing (no pun intended) as I have a WBC waiting for install.

Needs to be in the How-To for sure.

Bob

Mid West H/D
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WBC.. Me 2 i have just installed my wideban. i would like to know how you guy's are setting the tps.. i have tried several different things still my reading is way off... closed i set it by sliding the bar to (.98) current i left alone open i set to 4.96. my tps reading is only 30.... any help would be a big help. i watched the tutorial but nothing working grrrrrr.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Replacement part number for WBC 02 Sensor...Dynojet 12575657 (GM part#)

2003 H/D #6809
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    old thread, but i just ordered the Innovative LC-1, is the location of the O2 sensor pictured above the ideal location? Tried multiple searches and just want to make sure I put it in the right place. Also I know a O2 bung comes with the kit but any muffler shop should have some bungs lying around right? are all O2 sensors the same thread size?
    2009 G8 GT<--FOR SALE or TRADE for 03 HD
    Vararam|axle backs, H pipe, mids/res delete|pedders coil overs|cortex|DDM 8k HIDs|20% tint|vortex fins|hidden hitch|spohn trailing arms|BMR full bushing kit
    GXP Mods:
    front bumper|diffuser
    SSv Mods:
    SSv badges
    Camaro Mods:
    20" MS rims|SS Brembo's

2007 ZX-14<-------FOR SALE
    16/41|pc3|dual leo vince|asv levers|lowered|DDM 6k HIDs|puig|sliders|ostrich skin

SOLD-----2003 HD #6809-----SOLD

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bradshow View Post
    old thread, but i just ordered the Innovative LC-1, is the location of the O2 sensor pictured above the ideal location? Tried multiple searches and just want to make sure I put it in the right place. Also I know a O2 bung comes with the kit but any muffler shop should have some bungs lying around right? are all O2 sensors the same thread size?
    I have the LC-1, you can see where I had my bung welded at the g2g May 10

If you cannot wait, I can take a picture for you tonight, mine is located at 2 o clock right below the 2nd 02 sensor.

2003 H/D #6809
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhd View Post
    I have the LC-1, you can see where I had my bung welded at the g2g May 10

If you cannot wait, I can take a picture for you tonight, mine is located at 2 o clock right below the 2nd 02 sensor.

yeah that would be cool, i want to have the bung welded in before the GTG so i can install everything then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast