Thread: Steering wander after lift ??

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Steering wander after lift ??

i just had my Donahoe Racing 4.5" lift, Dual steering stabalizers
    with toyo 35" m/t's done yesterday
    lastnight as i was driving the steering seems to wander more than when stock almost work to keep it tracking straight
    any ideas or what can be done to correct or better it ????

Old Hog
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you install a dropped pitman arm and a dropped track rod bracket on your truck? If so, it shouldn't change the steering geometry. I did a 4" skyjacker kit on mine with 365/65r16 toyo at's on 10" rims and once I adjusted the drag link to center the steering wheel, it drove great because on a ford straight axle the camber/caster/toe angles dont change with a lift so with the dropped brackets even the steering angles are real close...all of this is easy for me to say, I own a suspension/alignment shop.
    Also, you might try taking the steering stabilizers off and driving it,sometimes the angle of the mounts/brackets hurt the steering more than they help.You can always put them back on.
    Last edited by Slick03hd; 04-13-2006 at 07:20 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    for what ever reason and i checked with the guys i bought the Donahoe Racing lift from
    the DR kit does not come with a pitman arm they said with the adjustable track bar is more than likley the problem ill have to run it by the shop that did the install to check and correct hope that helps
    if not ill get another company's pitman arm

thanks for the info
    you were able to reasure me as far as needing an alignment

Old Hog
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I preferred the dropped track rod bracket to the adjustable track rod because it made the least amount of change to the factory angle of the track rod(front axle locator rod), and the dropped pitman arm will put your drag link back near factory angles and SHOULD take alot of the bump steer/wandering out of the steering..If you dont get anywhere down there maybe you can bring it up to Orlando and I can take a look at it.
    Alot of the kits don't come with the dropped pitman arm, any 4x4 shop in your area should have one in stock for a S/D. with a 4" kit..
    Last edited by Slick03hd; 04-14-2006 at 07:15 AM.