Thread: Bed rattling...

On A Mission!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bed rattling...

I recently had the GroundForce 2/5 drop kit installed on my 06 HD. Ever since, I have had moderate bed rattling whenever I hit the slightest bump. Is this normal or does it take time to "break-in" the suspension? Nothing appears to be loose, didn't know if anyone else (Trilogy maybe) had any info on this. Thanks

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A couple of thoughts...the GF kits rides siffer could have meerly exposed / amplified an existing problem.

Or....

There are body seams on the uinderside of the bed. Does the 2/5 kit use the extended shackles? If so, the bed seam lips on the underside need to be bent away from the leafspring rear eyelits for clearance. If that has not been done you will most certainly have a rattle until you hit a large enough bump to crush or bend them away. Take a quick look under the bed.
    2006 Harley Davidson Ford F150 - SOLD
    McGaughy's 2/5 Lowering Kit, Air Lift Slam Air Assist (Rear), Roll Pan, 4.10:1 Gears, Truxedo LoPro Tonneau Cover, Carbon Window Tint, Roll Pan w/Hitch
    STS Remote Turbo System, Dirty Dog 11" Converter, FTVB Calibration Kit, Deep Aluminum Pan, Auto Meter Gauges, SCT XCAL2 Custom Tune, 434HP 511TQ

2007 FXSTB Night Train
    Denim Blue, PCB Black Inverted Front End, V&H Big Radius, SERT, SE Air Cleaner Kit, HTCC 10.5:1s, HTCC CNC Ported Heads, 103" Cylinders, 251 Cams, 97HP 104TQ

2008 Cargo South 7x16 V-Nose Enclosed Trailer
    Black w/Diamond Plate Stone Guards, Aluminum Mag Wheels, White Interior Walls, Black & White Vinyl Floor (In Process), E-Track in Floor (In Process)

2007 Shelby Mustang GT #4453
    No Modifications - Yet!!!

2007 VW GTI 2.0FSI (Wifey's Toy)
    Revo Stage I, Progressive Tint, Forge Motorsports Billet Diverter Valve

Ford Taurus (Winter Driver)

On A Mission!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll take a closer look underneath. Not sure if the kit uses extended shackels or not. It was kit #9933 from GF. The leafsprings were flipped to ride under the axle instead of on top so I don't know what is going on. I appreciate the info and will check as soon as possible. It's not major, just annoying...reminds me of all those little mini-trucks that are slammed to the ground!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the same problem, I rechecked torqued all my bolts and It doesn't look like the shackle is hitting the underside of the bed either. I did notice on the drivers side theres some sort of counterweight on top of the frame raid, which made getting the top bolt outta the stock shackle a PITA...it just sits there loose, anyone know what that is?

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i dont know but i just started to get a SQUEEEEEEEKKKKK outta my bed now...

started last night.. i have had the jlp shackles on for awhile now... looks like the bed needs to come off and i need to do a flip kit and notch the frame....

and do fuel pumps...

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    better be goign with 265 series front tires, and cutting the fender flares up front if you're gonna get the front low enough to sit even with a flip kit out back on a gen 1

did you grease up the bushing on the JLP shackles before you put them in? they are urethane so they'll make a nice squeak if not lubed up

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Stock on mine and my bed has a rattle/squeek sound coming from the bed. I figured when I got around to it I would take back to the dealer to see what was going on, so it may not be to anyone lowering kit.

Later...
    Bruce

El Presidente
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Totally NOT what I thought this thread was about.

Alas, there's been no rattling in my bed since 1998.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I assume the 5.5' bed is a little hard to do rattling in anyway OMH haha, one more reasons why the 00's are the chit! 6.5' bed!

Bruce, damn where the hell you been?! You went from post whore to ghost from one week to the next lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You have to push in the shackle bushings with the GF kit which I liked because greasing doesn't get overlooked. One of the shock mounts needed one more turn, no rattling now. Wonder why the GF shocks have narrower bushings than the stock ones? Once again gonna try to get the control arms in today at work then shes parked for the winter...

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the rubber insulator bushing below the metal washer and nut on the stud end of the shock (upper mount)? they are usually pretty narrow when new, then you want to tighten the nut on the stud down enough so that the rubber bushing is just bulging out past the metal washer. after the shocks are on for a long while though the bushing usually doesnt spring back and just stays fat & squished

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeah they're squished and fat now lol, did the control arms today, holy FK i couldn't even take it for much of a test drive the alignment was soo bad, taking it for an alignment tomorrow hopefully... I only have the 2.5" control arms so I didn't need to trim the tie rod ends, dunno why its soo out of line tho? any idears?