Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hi all, advice need please

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Hi all, advice need please

Let me first say Hi everyone, my name's Kerry and I love the site which I found by accident while surfing but I'm glad I did. I know if I search the topics I can probably find the info I need but I thought it was easier just to ask.

I'm looking for some advice and I know you'll be able to help me. Obviously I'm a girl, I currently drive a LHD PT Cruiser convertible and I'm looking at buying a 04 F150 FH 100 year edition instead.

I'm off for a test drive in one tomorrow afternoon, so what do I need to look out for, yes I know I've not left a lot of time for your feedback but I'm not buying it tomorrow (honest), if I like it then I'm gonna go ahead in a few weeks so I've got time to listen and take any advice on board.

So just wanted to know if there was anything I need to check for.

Thanks in anticipation.
    Last edited by Kerry; 07-21-2006 at 06:27 AM.
    Kerry (& Mark)

The cars: 00 Skoda Fabia. Mine: 03 F150 HD 2 tone
    The bikes: Mine - 03 Yamaha XJR1300 & 02 Yamaha FJR1300. His - 89 Yamaha FJ1200 & 01 Yamaha FJR1300.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome, Kerry! You mean you're looking for an '03 HD (100th anniversary edition), right???

Best place to start is the service/maintenance history of the truck. Next will be the modifications done to the truck (example: pulley, chip upgrades, etc.). Mods are not bad but can be hazardous if not done right.

Then there are the other usual stuff to check: tires, brakes, paint, interiors, etc. Good luck with your test drive.

Down Under
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Kerry & welcome. Krom has put you in the right direction. There are so many things that we would check when buying one of these it's hard to put it in brief. Service history & mods is up top of what we'd look at & overall condition inside & out. In regard to the mods though you are going to struggle even if we did tell you about them as you really need to know what you are looking at. One pulley just looks like another pulley if you know what I mean. Really in your position a very stock truck would be your best bet. Low K's is also very good. Cheers & good luck.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome aboard!!

WE got a few Blokes over there that might could help ya out and give the old HD a once over for ya....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys and sorry yes I mean an 03 HD 100 Anniversary (over here the 04 relates to the year it was registered not the year of the model sorry I forgot - thanks for correcting me.) I'm taking my partner Mark with me as well as a mechanic friend so I won't completely be the dumb girlie, hehe.

I just wondered if there were any particular problems I needed to look for as for example my PT convertible has suffered really bad corrosion on the alloy wheels from the salt on the UK road and they've been replaced twice under warrenty so I just wondered if I'd too look for anything specific with it being in the UK or if there was anything generally too.

I'll let you know how I get on later today, as I reckon barring anything really drastic being wrong with it then I'll be parting with my cash as I just have that feeling about it, woman's intuition probably, lol.
    Last edited by Kerry; 07-21-2006 at 06:27 AM.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good idea to have Mark and mechanic friend along for the test drive. Some trucks had issues with ejecting plugs (although most '03 already have the newer heads with more threads for the spark plugs).

Another big one is cruise control switch harness (risk of catching fire) but again, most '03s already have the upgraded part.

In short, '03s did not really have any "problems" ....unless the previous owner used/abused the truck. Best of luck!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Hi Kerry, welcome to the site.
    Yes, the wheels can corrode badly on the 2003.
    various members on here have had the problem and Ford do not honour the warrenty internationally.
    The longet the truck has been in the UK, the worse it will probably be.
    Have a good look at the backs of the whhels and if there are bad, haggle the price down accordingly.
    Apart from that, not much else to look for on the 03.
    There was a recall to check the tighness of the nut on the steering box to pitmann arm connection but that's about it.
    Just look for signs of obvious care and service history.
    Whatever the seller tells you, there are plenty of these trucks for sale.
    Don't buy a junker.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Supporting Vendor
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Welcome to the board Kerry. If you can pm or post the vin # I can run an OASIS report for you to see what warranty work has been done if you would like. These trucks are awesome and i'm sure you will love it. Nice bikes by the way. I've wanted a FJR every since they came out.
    If it's not BLOWN it must suck.

Riverside Parts Distribution Center
    Complete O.E.M. Ford Parts Source and distributer of many aftermarket accessories. See our SV section for our line sheet or call toll free (877) 839-5902
    Riverside Parts Distribution Center website Or e-mail me direct at mnobles@gmail.com

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi every 1

mark here (kerrys otherhalf), well we have been for spin, most things seem ok, eg breaking in a straight line, no squeaks rattles etc, however there is a issue with a fluffing/blowing from the left side, like a loose header bolts etc, my mechanic friend also said that if the gromits on the bulk head have not been replaced properley after alarm fitted.

does remind me of me old fj 1200 when the zorst was loose and u gave it some of the old gas u can here it sucking, have told them they need to resolve it, but ideas please

its done 16.8k, and its from fla, only stamp is @ 15.000 from this side of the pond,

my friend mark was all over it eg no signs of oil etc, going back tomo with brotherinlaw to recheck bodywork etc

regards mark

89 fj1200
    01 fjr1300
    Last edited by Kerry; 07-21-2006 at 12:42 PM.

Yeah, it's fast...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sounds good! good luck with it...these are addictive!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There's a lot of salt water and ladened air there look for corrosion on the different metals. Is it a early year truck, Spring time, if so it may have 02 heads.

As far as the air could be a loose plug your hearing or can you feel the air leak by the Ex.manifold??

http://www.corrosionx.com/

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    19-MAY-2003 thats its date of birth (did a carfax came out ok)

so the question is old head or new???

going back in a few hours, ready to do a deal but not untill he gets that fixed and tells me what it was etc, also just found another in the area, but with no ton cover, which seem to be around £1000+

thanks for all the help

mark
    Last edited by Kerry; 07-23-2006 at 01:53 PM.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mark,
    hard to tell if truck already have new heads, maybe your mechanic friend can remove one of the plugs to check (8 threads for new vs. 4 in old).

Also, noticed your sig...I assume those are YAM bikes and looks like you got both the old and new. We got a few guys who ride here also (I just bought an '01 Hayabusa, had an '02 Road King and '98 GSXR 750 before I left for Hawaii).

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Like Romeo has stated your best bet would be to remove a plug and do a visual inspection. From my understanding that is where the Changes were all but done so,,,,,,
    IN MEMORY OF
    Blake (Fuzion) Finnel 12-3-1986 - 08-11-2007
    NHTOC #120

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast