Thread: new 2 the game

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

new 2 the game

From So. California, got a customer with an 03 HD with k&n intake, colder thermostat, lower pulley ( boost 10lbs.), and with the diablo 91 oct tune. Customer is bringing back for a hi-flow plenum and throttle body and were changing the pulley again for 14 lbs. My question is should we also change to the colder plugs that come off the lightning? Should we retune with the diablo or something better? and when do the stock injector or fuel system become max'd out? I have heard the diablo is a little aggressive for tuning and that the fuel system can support up to 450-475 but what is that in terms of boost?

Adam

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    he's gonna be pretty close to the edge with 14lbs, some have blown with a lot less, others have run that level for years
    DEFINITELY going to want a custom tune from a reputable tuner, a true dyno tune is head and shoulders above any mail order tune for performance and reliability. But I'd stay away from the canned Diablo tune and at least have one of the L/HD tuners make you up something to fit.
    As far as plugs, NGK TR-6s are tried and true at that level of boost, just gap them tight at about 34-36 and they should be fine.
    Stock fuel system can start running out of steam at as low as 400-430 RWHP especially the pumps, dual SVT Focus pumps or WALBRO 255s are the fix. The MAF usually pegs around there too and you'll need to goto a MAF extender like the Diablo MAFIA or equivilent.
    A Dyno tune will not only make it live longer and get max power, but also tell if you're running out of MAF and fuel.
    Also 14lbs is pretty much max for the stock Eaton, beyond that you just make heat. A blower port job will help in efficiency and pick up a couple PSI.
    Last edited by Venom; 09-18-2006 at 02:43 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the input. I'm gonna talk him into doing the valve body and maybe the NGK's. I forgot to mention we also had put in headers. This customer is willing to put nitrous in but I am deterring him away because of cylinder pressures and he might blow the heads off. So we opted for more boost.

Superbeast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Happy to help!

if he's thinking NOS and bigger power....
    1 word.
    rods.

Head lift can be a prob, but I'd be far more worried about popping a rod and venting the block!

Valve body is a major plus!!
    might wanna look into some blower efficiency helpers, phenolic spacer, SPAL fans/bigger IC, etc.
    E-fan also helps.
    Last edited by Venom; 09-18-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    cool thanks for the advice.

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Introduce him to the club. He'll find a lot more stuff to spend money on with you.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ls have same Plugs stock as the Harleys....same damn motor....

14lbs jsut slap some NGK TR6s in it...
    the diablo canned tunes New 8r9/8r10 are pretty safe...I put the 12/13lb 91 oct tune on with 18lbs of boost and it was still fat....the 91 pulley tune is 12 degrees max timing at WOT....and A/fs are around 11.0

14lb??? dont forget sometype of MAF extender, and recommend a ballz on tune...Get the tuning device that his tuner uses....also recommend....dual 255 pumps...injectors will be fine....

at that level..you wont have to worry bout valves floating or heads lifting

OH and By no means...do I recommend running what I am running in terms of boost on a stock block...HEHE lets just say I'm experimenting...and might even crank it up more.....
    Last edited by bgstew6; 09-18-2006 at 07:35 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    were going with the TR6s for plugs and were gonna go with the tune from the diablo and see what happens on the dyno. He got the 280 upper pulley so we'll see where the boost is gonna be, he says it should be 14 lbs. Can;t wait to see. Thanx again guys.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    make sure you measure the MAF Voltage if it gets up to 4.76 now...you will peg in colder weather....dont want to be doing that....maf extender Like a MAfIa will run ya 150 new....but will have to be customed tuned for effectiveness..

The predator tune will leave a lot on the table and is really designed to get ya around until you can get a custom tune to dial ya in...many guys have ran it for a long time...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    finished the truck with the tr6 plugs, an upper plenum and throttle body, and the upper pulley. Truck pulls 13 lbs., took it to a dyno and pulled 360 on HP and TQ. Customer put on a granatelli MAF and did another pull. This time good numbers: 407 HP and 528 TQ. The dyno shop compared results with a stock srt-10, only 350 on HP and TQ. One problem came up on the final run, substantial amount of oil from rear main. Customer wants to fix and also wants to replace TQ convertor and valve body. We're going with a factory tech setup, which I haven't found nething too negative about. I was wondering if we should tune ne shift points after the install, and if an auxillary trans cooler is required & where i can get a good one? The trans cooler just seems like a "better safe than sorry" type of deal.

thanks
    Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I put Factory Tech Valve body, B&M Tranny pan, B&M remote tranny filter and F250 Tranny cooler on my ride....

check here for pics of the F250 install....got it from the NDEBT, got the remote kit from Summit
    http://www.nhtoc.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=902

stock shift points should still be good...let the FTVB handle the shift pressure....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ne1 know a trick to finding out if this customer has a 6 lug or 4 lug pattern on the torque converter without looking under the truck because the truck ain't here.