Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nov 2006 Truck Of The Month - Congrats Mike "Madferraristi" Dunn! (NHTOC #238)

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Smile Nov 2006 Truck Of The Month - Congrats Mike "Madferraristi" Dunn! (NHTOC #238)

Congrats to Mike Dunn on TOTM for November 2006! A little change up this time around to keep it interesting! As most know, Mike doesn’t own a Harley truck, but who says TOTM has to be a Harley! With one insanely incredible F-150 that Mike is always continuously working on to keep on the forefront of modding, and as one of the most supportive vendors of NHTOC, its easy to see why Madferrari was nominated for TOTM November, 2006!

Question # 1: This is normally where I ask what sparked your interest in Harley Trucks, but to make it more fitting, what sparked your interest in modding a F-150 specifically? Especially to the extent that you’ve taken your truck to today that is nicer than most others on the road, let alone a LOT faster!

First let me say that I am both flattered and honored, to have my truck chosen as Truck of the Month.

Some of the reasons for buying an F-150 and modifying it are explained in my answer to question number two but in 2002 my wife and I decided it was my turn to have a brand new vehicle, she gets one every three to four years. All things considered, there wasn’t much out there that turned my crank but the appearance of the F-150 plus the advanced technology of the OHC engine did it for me. I went to my local dealer wanting a Lightning but with a Supercab but of course, was told that it did not exist. That being the case, I selected the options I wanted and ordered a truck that was to my taste with the addition of a Procharger in mind. I installed the Procharger six weeks after I picked up my truck and after about nine months of tweaking got it up to almost 400 RWHP, I was pretty happy.

Then disaster struck. I was at my dealer chatting with my service writer and in order to answer a question I had, we needed to find an engine that was out of the truck. We were poking around in the back of the parts department and I saw a Harley engine on a pallet. It was a warranty takeout (severe oil leak) with 263 miles on it. Very long story, very short, it became mine for $1000.00 with a deal to install it, along with a 4R100 trans (that I would have to find) for an additional $1200.00.

Before it even went into my truck, it had Manley rods, street ported heads and a set of mild cams. I was fortunate to pick up the proper 4R100 trans that had been removed at 2500 miles in favor of a Monster Box.

In this configuration, I managed to see 452/570 on a bad day but California smog legal.

Then the fun started. I decided that there was no reason a guy couldn’t make an intake manifold that would allow use of a set of 32 valve heads while still retaining the Eaton or (???) supercharger. What the heck, Ford has done it so why can’t I.

Another long story, severely shortened (say 12 months down to 12 seconds), with a pair of ’00 Navi Heads, street ported, mild cams (altogether very similar to my 2V setup), I am now at 620.51/606.74 at 6000 rpm. Yes, it’s still smog legal.

Question # 2: Any interesting stories behind the history of vehicles
    you've owned leading up to your truck now or how you got it?

I cannot remember ever driving a completely stock vehicle. Even during my drag racing years, my tow vehicle was modified. For the 10+ years prior to buying my F-150 I had driven a mildly modified GMC Typhoon, (read Pocket Rocket).

Prior to that, I had built two Turbo’d daily drivers, the first was a ’66 Nova SS with a 302 running 10 psi and the second, a 1984 Buick Regal (Grand National lookalike) that was powered by a 317 ci SBC, Brodix heads, TPI. At 16 psi, it made about 500 at the wheels.

There was a string of race cars. From 1961 through 1986 there were five different Corvettes, running eight different classes. All told I set 14 National Records and won Comp Eliminator at one National Event.

Starting in 1986, I switched to restoring old Ferraris. The neat thing about this branch of automania is that I made money on every car I ever restored. You can see some of my handywork at www.madenterprise.com/gallery/gallery.htm

So you see I had to find something that turned my crank that I could somehow turn in to a sleeper.

Question # 3: Give me a rough list of the mods that have been done to your truck. I know you've got a lot done, and have had a number of various setups, so you can just list the latest and greatest if you'd like!
    Mods, mods, mods. I don’t think there is any part of my truck that I haven’t somehow personalized for better performance, handling, comfort or arguably, better appearance.

2002 F-150, XLT, True Blue Metallic.
    Dark Graphite interior with power, heated, cloth covered Captains Chairs.
    Roush Front Bumper and complete ground effects kit.
    Cervinis Hood
    Clear Corners and Headlights
    Lightning Taillights
    Lightning Third Tail
    Astro Bed Lid and Bed Rug
    Chromed Lightning Wheels
    Hankook 295-45x18 tires.
    Front lowered 4” with Belltech 2” spindles, custom springs, Bilstein shocks.
    Rear lowered 6” with flip kit, one leaf removed, Velvet Ride shackles, air shocks in the stock location plus two additional shocks and my own traction bars.
    Lightning Rear Sway Bar
    Expedition Console with Temperature and Oil Pressure gauges in custom panel.
    Pillar Pod with Vac/Boost and Fuel Pressure gauges
    Innovate Wide Band installed in dash
    32 valve 5.4 engine
    Experi****** (read very noisy) +.020” forged pistons
    Manley H Beam Rods
    Mod Max Crank
    ’00 Navigator heads, street ported, gasket matched, 5 angle valve job
    Mild cams again by Dima Elgin (gotta keep it CA smog legal)
    Stock Exhaust Manifolds, custom made right side is a mirror image of the left.
    All stainless true duals with X, all mandrel bent, inside purge TIG welded.
    Magnaflow OBD II high flow cats, primaries still in place
    54” all stainless, 3” bore steelpack mufflers (very quiet but low back pressure)
    Custom made intake manifold that originally accepted the OE Ported Eaton, now has been further modified to accept a Whipple.
    Whipple Supercharger at 15 ps
    L&S Oil Separator
    325 LPH single Bosch Fuel Pump
    Single Blade Throttle Body
    SCT BA-2400 MAF
    Siemens 60# injectors
    AN –8 Fuel supply line with canister type filter
    AN –6 Fuel return line
    Dual OE Heat Exchangers with Fans.

Question # 4: Tell us a little about yourself. Your other hobbies, your job, your favorite past time, whatever!

I am a car junkie all the way! Bought my first Ford when I was 14. The only other serious interests in my life are my wife of 40 years, my two girls and the grandkids. I have an ME Degree that dates back to the early sixties. After 15 years in Industry that sent me to live in Europe for almost four years, I started BHJ Products in 1975. Working in my garage in the evenings to support my race car, I developed the first of the many race engine builder tools that BHJ is known for and went full time a year later. I sold that business in 1998 and started Madenterprise. Now I work with the F-150 crowd to help everybody improve their trucks and I’m having a ball. My specialty is the OE Supercharger conversion but sell all types of go-fast goodies. I also make restoration parts for early Ferraris. When time permits, I play with my truck and other toys. My wife and I love to travel (particularly like cruising) but recently realized that we have seen more of the rest of the world than we have the USA so our next few trips will be to see more of this grand country. My dream home would be a 2000sq/ft house with a 4000 sq/ft attached garage so I wouldn’t have to drive to my shop to get a fix.

Question # 5: You've been a supporting vendor & member on the site for quite a while now, what is one of the best things you like about the site that keeps you around?
    No Brainer here. This is the neatest bunch of car guys I have ever met. The other Forums I visit are OK and can be informative but the NHTOC (and it’s sister site) are a close knit, supportive group and I really like that. Since I don’t want to try to be all things to all people, I am happy to support this group and not try to grow beyond my means (read one man show).

Question # 6: What is one suggestion to help make the site a better place?
    This is the toughest question of all. I can’t think of anything that would make this forum a better place to visit.

Question # 7:
    This is where I normally ask about where you decided on your screen name at, and any specific reason for choosing it?

Let’s dissect it. “MAD”, an adjective that also happens to be my initials
    “FERRARISTI”, an Italian term for those afflicted with an
    uncontrollable affection for the Ferrari automobile

Question # 8: Almost at the end, what is in the future for your truck? Being at the forefront of the horsepower food chain with 4 valve heads & a Whipple Supercharger doesn’t leave as many vast options without a lot of creativity and ingenuity , so what’s the next plan of attack for your trucks future?!
    No it’s not finished! Still to come-
    Harley Grilles. Already have the lower coming, now need upper.
    New short block, quiet pistons this time
    ’03 Cobra fully ported heads
    CF Driveshaft, (already ordered)
    Another tuning session at 22 psi (just for grins)… then it’s finished.

Question 9: Last and final question, just an open end question for if you had anything else you wanted to mention that I didn’t have a question for...here's the place to go at it! Your website link, a plug for something, etc. etc. whatever you want to throw in!

I really enjoy helping others achieve their performance goals and look forward to serving any and all of your needs. You can visit my web page at www.madenterprise.com/f150.htm I’ll do my best for you.

And with that, I would like to say on behalf of the entire community at NHTOC, thanks for being a supporting vendor/member for all these years, and for always being there to help everybody out!! Congrats on TOTM November, 2006!

In GLOCK I trust
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    SWEET rig Mike.

Congrats on the TOTM!!!!!! There is NO doubt in my mind that you have a VERY sweet ride and apparently are a very good guy to deal with. It is great to see a S/V surf the threads, offer advice, and solutions to problems. Excellent resource around these parts!!!!!!!!!

NHTOC # 373
    Name: Dick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great looking truck! Very clean. Congrats!

32V SC 5.4L #001
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys, as I said before, I am both flattered and honored.

************************CLICK TO VISIT MAD'S SITE************************

'02, 32V, 5.4L #001, 14psi Whipple and a few other mods. 640 rwhp, 610 tq. CA Smog legal

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    awesome truck mad! i just want to say thanks for being such a great vendor to us all.

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet truck, congrats!

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Another Well Deserved TOTM!!! Thanks for all the excellent Support over the years!!!

Good Job Mike!!!

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Congratulations Mike!!! You earned it.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    great job! i can't think of anyone more deserving.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Mike...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Mad,,,,sweet truck.

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Congrats MAD!! Sweet Truck!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats Mike

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly this guy probably deserves it more so than most. He has helped out sooo much and i am sure that i have bothered him to death but he is never too busy to answer questions. Thanks again MIKE

BTW Never seen a cleaner engine compartment

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast