Thread: Road Pricing Protest

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Road Pricing Protest

Ladies & Gents. A serious topic.

Over on Rebel, we have got a little hot under the collar about various proposals being bandied about by the major political parties.
    I'm sure you have seen them. Road pricing. Vehicle trackers to charge you by the mile. Increases in Road tax to 2000 p.a. CO2 tax etc etc.
    Whilst none of them are yet passed, they could be. Putting them out into the open starts to soften us up and the Govt. wants to know what they can get away with.
    How does this affect us? Well, apart from your normal motoring, how many want to pay £2000 p.a. for a 4 x 4.? Somehow my HD seems to have ended up in that category even though its a 2wd.
    A large proportion of our hobby has a problem in justifying the money spent on running an extra car and the costs associated with it.
    If any of these proposals become law, it could be end of the scene as we know it.

So, why an I blathering on about it? Well we discussed the possibilty of a physical protest but have decided that, on reflection, the first step should be to write to your M.P. Remember, they work for you and have to respond to a question from a constituent.
    We, at Rebel, are hoping to get all clubs and forums involved. Not just the Yanks but Classics, Sports Cars and even the Ricers as this can affect us all.
    You can write or email your MP. Apathy will not do. You cannot rely on someone else to write for you. make your voice heard.

If we are not careful, we could find ourselves legislated off the road in our Yanks under the false banner of environ******ism.

A link to our topic can be found here. http://www.rebel-v8.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4457

Our sample letter is here.

Dear Your M.P's name,

I would like to voice my protest against the "Road-Pricing" ideas being discussed. I believe that this system, howsoever implented, is undemocratic and unfair. Undemocratic as it was not mentioned in your most recent manifesto for election and unfair as it punishes all motorists, irrespective of how many miles they drive per annum. We are already taxed VERY heavily on fuel and road taxation, and as we all know, this revenue does not get reinvested in the transport infrastructure.

I am also increasingly concerned about the idea of "black boxes" tracking my every move, and coupled with ID cards, I feel that hard-fought for British freedoms are seriously underthreat. We are already one of the most observed (CCTV) nations in the world.
    Please let me assure you that I will not vote for a member of parliament or a party that supports the above issues.
    I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,

Your name

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Well 17 views and no comments. Is anyone from the UK interested?
    The Pre-Budget report will be published soon where the chancellor is expected to push for new taxes on the motorist and justfying them under the "save the environment" banner.
    This is thought to be the raising of Road Tax for vehicles that produce more than 225g CO/Km to £650. This will be just the start.
    That puts quite a few of us into that group. Are you happy with this situation?
    There is also talk of the chancellor re-introducing the fuel escalator tax.
    Recently, one litre of unleaded went up to £1.00 and the average motorist sucked it up without protest. With todays prices at 85p/litre, thats another 15p duty for the exchequer.
    Do not think that this will not affect you and you don't need to do anything. Unless you are happy paying the extra taxes of course.
    An extra £400 on road tax is £400 you don't have for mods. Or buying petrol.
    Do you think this money raised will go back into transport? Or will it go to fund schooling for immigrants kids, the olympic games of 2012 or pensions for civil servants?

Does anyone have an opinion? Is anyone prepared to fight for their hobby?

On The Wrong East Coast
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Adam I think most of us are in shock my letter will be on the way this week,do you evey wonder why you came back to this I'm gonna f^ck you with tax country??????? if it wasn't for a few things I have to deal with here I would/will be outta here as soon as my *** will carry me.

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Deano, I know exactly what you mean mate.
    If I could move back to Houston, I would.

I have to say that I am surprised by the apathy of not just the general motorist but people actively involved in the hobby. Half the people you speak to say they can barely afford to run a truck or American car over here but when they have a chance to do something about it, they sit on their arses.
    Well, I don't care. I'm going to fight it.
    Our American cousins had the right idea when they said "No taxation without representation" and started the Revolution.
    I'm fed up being taxed as a motorist with no return.

we're Flyin
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Adam, what you say is absolutely correct, but it is not just our hobby at threat, it is our entire way of life. Unfortunately the people of this country are either totally apathetic or too stupid to see what will happen if taxation of vehicle use carries on as it is. I do 50K per year in running my IT business and I charge my costs to the customer as do every other business with transport costs. I will just increase my charge rates as will every other business. Individuals will then fight for larger pay rises etc so Road charging will just increase the whole cost of living by huge amounts not reduce motoring, but our corrupt politicians don't care about that, as they will always ensure they have a way of covering their extra costs. My letter is on it's way, It won't do anything but one day if we are lucky the native population of this country will have an uprising against this and many other aspects of current life that are destroying our Country.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well said that man don't you find though that we as a people just roll over and take it up the chuffer every dam time as you say not only on this subject but on many others, start the revolution

Over The Pond
    Name:

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I have started it

This is now on a lot of UK forums.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Careful Adam big brother could be watching muhaaaaaaa