Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: what components / amp to get?

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    It also says it only holds up to a 6 1/4" speaker so I guess the 6.5" would be out of the question.

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    yep yep. 5 1/4's is what I run up front.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was trying to find pics of mine, but my kickpanels (before I sold them) were made using the Q-Logic as a base. We just them as a model of sorts, the front was nearly identical (we used 6 3/4" ring to hold my Boston Acoustics), but my installer made an enclosure out of them. Came out as one piece, neato and clean. We covered mine with vinyl to match.

The stage will dramatically improve if you use kickpanels properly. A good processor can't hurt, but they can be a chunk of change and you need to be pretty familiar with how they work or you'll make it worse rather than better.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    2Ton,
    What do you think in regards to my question about the JLs just for the front and moving my diamonds to the rear? I just have regular infinity reference series 5x7s in the rear but they can handle a lot and sound fine.

My birthday is in a couple weeks and my parents asked me what i want...lol

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm a purist when it comes to stereo, so I only like the sound where it's supposed to be. At one point I had my system wired up with an inexpensive switch so that I could turn off the amplifier powering the rear speakers, leaving the two front components and sub only.

Now I end up with people in the backseat pretty often. So, when I bought my Polk SR's, I bought two pairs. I don't mind having sound back there nearly as much as I thought I would.

Maybe it's because I'm a hifi snob, but I like timbre matching components. Your diamond's are going to sound different than JL's. I might pick up on the difference in sound, maybe not. The one thing to consider is that our trucks have a noise floor of 30+dB anyway, so differences in sound are going to be covered by exhaust noise and the like.

Go ahead and move them.

I haven't seen diamonds in a while. How deep are they? I ask, because you can run into issues in rear doors with some component depths.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Ah I see... Not sure how the depth is, havnt seen them in 3 years uninstalled. So the Polk's fit fine in the rear though? Would the JL's too? What about if I added a lower end model JL component set to the rear with the ZR in the front? would those work better together?

Troy,
    Was there any problems with the depth of the speakers when you installed your diamonds in the rear?

I also plan on sound deadening the floor before new speakers would go in. The doors and back wall are done and there was a HUGE improvement in sound. One thing I really notice now is that the bass sounds much cleaner. Ah decisions decisions.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    The diamonds in my rear doors are 5x7 two ways not components. and they fit fine. Good luck and let us know what your outcome is.
    Don't you just love when you have to make decisions.
    Troy - 2002 DSG #09850. 378 HP, 465 TQ

Yeah, it's fast...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have JL XR 570 CXI's in the rear of my truck and they fit...barely. Their mounting depth is rated at 2.61 inches from JL audio. Funny thing is I think on the JL site it lists the mounting depth for the ZRs and less than the XRs.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Im gonna go to another stereo shop this week to check them out again. Just came across the diamond audio TDX components but they are 7" so I don't know if they will fit. Gonna have to listen some more to see what I like but I would think it would be hard to beat those JL's. I got on this thread not even needing speakers and now I'm the one shopping...how the hell did that happen?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Don't H8
    i have JL XR 570 CXI's in the rear of my truck and they fit...barely. Their mounting depth is rated at 2.61 inches from JL audio. Funny thing is I think on the JL site it lists the mounting depth for the ZRs and less than the XRs.
    The ZR's and the Polk's use neodymium magnets, a LOT smaller than traditional motor magnets on most speakers. Focal uses them on their Be and some of the K2 sets too.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm looking at speakers for my truck as well. I have a set of OLD SCHOOL MTX Black Gold 5 1/4 components new in the box I might use in the truck or maybe my 88 LX. I know they were a nice sounding speaker awhile ago (95ish?) but how they compare to newer sets I am not sure. I had all JL Audio in my 93 GT... www.cardomain.com/id/fiveltrdave

I also have a single MTX Black Gold 10" sub never used I want to build into the center console...maybe make a Stealthbox clone.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I heard the MTX Black Gold stuff was Great. Don't know before my time of Driving and Car Audio.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley
    I heard the MTX Black Gold stuff was Great. Don't know before my time of Driving and Car Audio.
    I heard them ALONG time ago and actually had a 10 before which sounded really clean. They are not SPL subs but are a clean sounding sub with a nice low end response. The 10 I had before went as low as alot of 12's.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    What is the best material for the tweeter or I guess i should say what is the difference since Im sure it is personal taste. I see that some are aluminum and some are silk, not sure if there are others Im missing. Just wondering.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Traditionally, most people prefer silk domes because they're not nearly as harsh. They can have a wider, more eliptical sweet spot too. Advancements in tweeter technologies have put metal and silk domed tweeters closer than they've ever been before.

Metal domes have the ability to get brighter, but because of the metal dome itself they can develop a really harsh overly bright tone, particularly at volume. The more you spend on a component set you get better tweeter materials and better crossovers, which gets rid of some of those problems. Focal uses an inverted metal dome that gets rid of a lot of the ringing that can happen with metal domes. Sometimes they're made of aluminum/magnesium, and on their high-end models they use berylium...but those are particularly spendy. Most tweeters are made of aluminum because it's very light and rigid enough for heavy duty use.

Silk domes are generally more "smooth" or sweet, but don't extend nearly as high as a metal dome can at comparable volume. Same thing goes here, if a manufacturer prefers silk domes, they get better as you spend more. Polk's SR ring-radiators are silk-based and have the brightness of a metal dome with the smoothness of a silk driver.

Jazz lovers tend to prefer silk, rockers tend to gravitate towards metal. It's all in how you hear. Think of it as the difference between a drummer using a brush on a cymbal versus his sticks. Everyone hears and perceives things differently, so it's best to listen and make a gut-decision.

After listening to electrostats at home, I wish could find something like that for the car. The ring radiators on the polk SR's come in close second for me.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast