Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Jan 2007 Truck Of The Month - Congrats to Phil "airtroop01" Adams! (NHTOC #217)

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thumbs up Jan 2007 Truck Of The Month - Congrats to Phil "airtroop01" Adams! (NHTOC #217)

Alright Ladies and Gentlemen,

To kick off a new year, this months TOTM is one best not trifled with for the blower is long gone. Turbo boost and big horsepower are the name of the game this month. Please extend a congrats to Phil "airtroop01" Adams.

Question # 1: What sparked your interests in the Harley trucks? Specifically your Black 2002 HD F150?

I've been a Mustang fan and owner for a number of years. My first exposure to the Harley truck was seeing it in a Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine. I thought it was very cool that a truck this big was coming out of the factory with a supercharger and flames on the side. I also was jealous that the truck had more hp from the factory than any Mustang available then. Having two kids, we stopped taking my Mustang Cobra around on trips. I needed something fast and yet a little more family friendly... Saw the truck at the dealership, took it for a test drive and the rest is history!

Question # 2: Any interesting stories behind the history of vehicles you've owned leading up to the HD truck or how you got it?

I've always been a hot rodder and have been always known to have something heavily customized and fast. I've also always had some horrible luck with vehicles in the past. I started with a '65 Mustang Coupe (which ended up being a unrestorable rust bucket), moved onto a '67 Mustang Coupe (which caught on fire with me in it - twice!), then got a '89 Mustang GT and modded the hell out of it with a Vortech supercharger (and then stacked it into a hill), then got a '90 Mustang LX (and hydroplaned into a center divide - did I mention I got caught in the rain with some slicks I was using on the road course the previous day?), got a '91 Mustang GT, which I thought had ended my bad luck streak since it had gotten a new DSS motor, Vortech, Tremec tranny, etc... and it was running awesome (it was stolen out of a theater parking lot and stripped bare.), and then a '97 Mustang Cobra which I also modded with a supercharger and a full Griggs Racing suspension.... that lasted me the longest. I loved that car. I sold it to a Highway Patrol officer to get the truck. (He ended up wrecking it - Driving too fast for conditions and a tree jumped in front of him.) Beyond having crappy luck with vehicles, I suppose it gave me a pretty good education on modding almost anything.

Question # 3: Give me a rough list of the mods that have been done to your truck. I know you've got a lot done and you were one of the first to switch to a turbo, so you can just list for favorites if you'd like!
    The truck has gone through so many modding cycles, I think I've forgotten half of the things that have made its way in there! Its funny to think that around this time (Dec/Jan) a few years ago, I was so excited to get a JLP box via UPS and get a 6lb pulley, Predator, and airbox installed! Things just seemed to have snowballed from there...

The highlights of the truck now are:

Powertrain:

Pro Turbo Systems PT76 Gen 2 Lightning Turbo Kit
    Precision Turbo 76mm Turbo
    TurboSmart 48mm Wastegate
    Greedy Blow Off Valve
    4" Downpipe
    JLP-built "Bullet Proof" Longblock
    Custom Fuel System (Aeromotive Fuel Rails, Regulator, -8 AN Feed/-6 Return Lines, etc..)
    C&L Intake
    Accufab Single Blade throttle body
    Dante's Modular Performance/Crower Custom-grind turbo cams/120# valve springs
    JLP/Level 10 Transmission
    PI Torque Converter (2400 stall - needs to come out for a higher stall one suited to the turbo)
    Snow Performance Alky Injection System (modded with www.alkycontrol.com parts)
    Tuned by me using SCT Pro Racer Package and SCT XCal 2
    SCT BA2800 MAF
    A ton of billet engine bling!

Suspension/Brakes:
    Hotchkis Full TVS Suspension
    JLP Traction Bars
    JLP Driveshaft loop
    TCE Front Wilwood Brakes

Exterior:
    Hankook Ventus 275 45 20 (front) 295 45 20 (rear)
    Cervini Cowl Hood
    Gaylord Speedsturr Tonneau cover
    Black powdercoated billet gas cap

Interior (gotta have some decent tunes!):
    Pioneer AVIC N-1
    JL Audio Stealth Box
    JL Audio Amps

Question # 4: Tell us a little about yourself. Your other hobbies, your job, your favorite past time, whatever!

I work on the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. Beyond that, I've got 2 kids that keep me pretty busy. Other hobbies beyond the truck? - Weight lifting, Computers, Wine/Food, Movies.

Question # 5: You've been a member on the site for quite a while now, what is one of the best things you like about the site that keeps you around?

The people mainly... we've got quite a family here. Sometimes dysfunctional, but we'll always will pull together for someone in a pinch. You almost gotta love a community and this site because it facilitates that.

Question # 6: What is one suggestion to help make the site a better place?

I'd like to see more vendors get involved in the site and contributing to information/tips/tricks in the forums.

Question # 7: This is where I normally ask about where you decided on your screen name and any specific reason for choosing it?

I used to be in the Army. My MOS was a 43E (parachute rigger). Death from above! Airborne!

Question # 8: Almost at the end, what is in the future for your truck?, so what’s the next plan of attack for your truck's future?!

There's a lot left to do on the truck... the problem is coming up with the $$$ and or time to do it!

Next plan of attack:

Some additional alky kit modifications
    Torque Converter better suited for the turbo
    Putting the NX Nitrous System back into the truck and getting that dialed in
    Automated opener for the tonneau cover
    Installation of an electric exhaust cutout
    Some Bassani exhaust tip baffles
    Install my switch for the line lock some day
    Install the electronic boost controller some day

Making a few 10 sec passes at the track. That would probably mean that I'd need to get a NHRA-legal roll cage put in. Not sure how I would do that and still retain the use of the back seats (the primary reason I got the truck in the first place).

Question 9: Last and final question, just an open end question for if you had anything else you wanted to mention that I didn’t have a question for...here's the place to go at it! Your website link, a plug for something, etc. etc. whatever you want to throw in!

Thanks for considering me for the TOTM! I'd like to express gratitude to some folks out there that have helped me out when I've been frustrated and or needed help along the way. Bgstew, svtjay, camcojb, Dalton at PTS, Johnny and Sue at JLP. There's going to be a few beers on me waiting for you guys when I get this truck in the 10's!

If you want to see the truck, there's a video of it at Pro Turbo's website. http://www.proturbokits.com/vids/cat.asp?iCat=12

Excellent Phil. Thank you very much for all your contributions to the website and sharing your ups and downs on going to a turbo.

Congrats on being January TOTM. Hope to see you at LFest this year!

Bob
    Last edited by Speedin Bob; 01-08-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some B****, sweet Bro.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WOOHOOO COngrats Phil!!

TURN UP THE WICK!!!
    Last edited by bgstew6; 01-08-2007 at 09:02 PM.

Kenne Bell and SCT PRP
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedin Bob
    Weight lifting Bob[/b]

Trucks bad azz bro.
    Chris

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Way to go!
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sweet, congrats!

Back to a KB
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks guys!
    Great job Bob!

Back to a KB
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ACWALSH8

Trucks bad azz bro.
    Chris

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    awesome! congrats!!!
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts
    I imagine that's one hairy hauler! 747+ HP ?....holy mother of God!

Congrat's Phil, that's one killer package you put together. Very nice truck. You da man dis month.

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Congrats!!! Sweet Truck.

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats airtroop. Badazz truck you have there.

Gotta Get There
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    congrats... that's one bad azz truck!!!

NHTOC Paid Member
    Name: HOTSANDRAIL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congrats airtroop01 Very Nice!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast