Thread: Rear Shocks

Ben-hur
    Name:

Rear Shocks

Hi Lads,

Long time since I posted on here, not had much to report really.

Could do with some help now, the rear shocks on my 2001 HD have totally had it, every time I go round a corner it feels like the beds is about to slide off, it's real scary.

Can anyone tell me the ideal shocks for the truck and whether I should look towards a specific make.

Many Thanks.

John

T888 Recall
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bilsteins for super crew will do the trick..

-Del

*SOLD - but not forgotten
    Name: Chuck NHTOC #291

Liked 51 Times in 44 Posts

Thumbs up

^^ +1... Bilstiens are great.

Mods=L&S Oil Sep, Blackwood trim & mirror caps, Navi ant' base, E-brake pedal, CAI, C&L Intake & Plenum, 95mm MAF tube, SBTB, 170 T-Stat, Predator+RWTD custom tune, 8# lower, PG Ti900.7 amp, JLA XR570-CXi & Stealthbox, FTVB, Finned Trans Pan, Line of Fire LED, J-Jent Grille, RotorPro Dimpled & Slotted rotors, LED taillights, chrome door strikes, billet locks & coat hangers, ChickenEars Engine Billet package #1&2+door sills, Metco billet aux idler bracket & pulleys, LFP E-Fan, Xenarc HID heads, clear corners, Roush HID fogs, Bedrug, L' 3rd, Kenwood DDX-7017 DVD+TV+Sirrius+RevCam, Lotek dual pillar pod with AutoMeter boost gauge & DynoJet WBC, fog switch mod, UPR billet window switches and door locks, FAST overlays, LFP 58" bars, Hotchkis TVS, Bilsteins, DblG Panhard, Cervinis Cobra R hood, BFG T/A KDW 2 tires, Hawk Ceramic pads, MGP caliper covers.

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've tried others but the Bsteins are the way to go.

Ben-hur
    Name:

Has anyone got the sizes that I need to ask for?

Thanks

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ben-hur
    Name:

Quote Originally Posted by kromdom
    Cheers Krom, but the one on there is for a lightning and as the lightning doesn't have a crew cab, then are they acceptable?

In case I don't want Bilstein, has anyone got the technical specs of the them?

Cheers

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ben,
    A good majority of guys who upgrade the stock shocks use the L-spec Bilsteins since it gives a firmer/sportier ride and feel. I believe I am one of the very few that chose to go with the 'screw-spec units because I wanted to retain the OEM cushy ride/feel plus it is takes into account the extra weight of the 'screw.

You can browse page 3 of their application guide for part #s: http://www.bilstein.com/303truckssuvs.pdf

Ben-hur
    Name:

Ben,
    A good majority of guys who upgrade the stock shocks use the L-spec Bilsteins since it gives a firmer/sportier ride and feel. I believe I am one of the very few that chose to go with the 'screw-spec units because I wanted to retain the OEM cushy ride/feel plus it is takes into account the extra weight of the 'screw.

You can browse page 3 of their application guide for part #s: http://www.bilstein.com/303truckssuvs.pdf
    Many Thanks Krom,

Just checking on prices at the mo.

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-hur
    Many Thanks Krom,
    Just checking on prices at the mo.
    You are welcome. If you browse next door at NLOC, you might be able to snag a set of 4 low mileage take-offs for around $120 vs. $240 brand new. Best price I've seen online here: http://www.shox.com/

P.S. I assume you plan to upgrade all 4 shocks at the same time

Ben-hur
    Name:

You are welcome. If you browse next door at NLOC, you might be able to snag a set of 4 low mileage take-offs for around $120 vs. $240 brand new. Best price I've seen online here: http://www.shox.com/

P.S. I assume you plan to upgrade all 4 shocks at the same time
    I emailed Shox and got a weird reply after I quoted them the part n's from here: -

http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=257

They replied with: -

See www.bilstein.com for U.S. part numbers
    F65Z-18197-BB (rear insulator nut, need two) (I need 4 of these in total) We don't sell these. The Bilsteins we sell come with new mounting hardare

Anyone decipher????

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ford sells the nuts and IIRC, you need two (for Rears) since you reuse the FRONTS. When I bought from them a while back, the shocks came with the correct nuts (I actually inspected the shocks since I picked them up from their store in San Diego)