Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: which amp?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    alright did some work today... the fiberglass was dry so went to work at putting the two together

still wont look right until it's further along but i figured i'd share the build.

the sub and amp should come tomorrow.. that way i can make the proper ring to mount the sub with.... i'll have to glass the ring to the sub box... then glass the rest of the box all together... then the timely process of building the glass so it's strong enough.

dont criticize please until it's done... i've explained to my brother and my mom like a million times the last two days and they still asked "why are you making it blue???"

no it's not the carpet that's the base for the the fiberglass to go on to make a base layer =)

ps- no it's not just wood glue inside the box... i wood glued all the joints before screwing them... then used a polyurethane on the interior and a fiberglass on the exterior. even fiberglassed the joints of the console after the joints were wood glued and screwed. this sucker will hold together lol
    Last edited by Harley08602; 02-05-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley08602
    alright did some work today... the fiberglass was dry so went to work at putting the two together

still wont look right until it's further along but i figured i'd share the build.

the sub and amp should come tomorrow.. that way i can make the proper ring to mount the sub with.... i'll have to glass the ring to the sub box... then glass the rest of the box all together... then the timely process of building the glass so it's strong enough.

dont criticize please until it's done... i've explained to my brother and my mom like a million times the last two days and they still asked "why are you making it blue???"

no it's not the carpet that's the base for the the fiberglass to go on to make a base layer =)

You could have really screwed them up and used some odd-ball fleece...like some Spider Man stuff or something....lol...

Looks good so far!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i appreciate it =)
    lol i would have but that junk with printed designs is expensive!

that blue was $2.74 a yard at walmart it was that or purple =X.
    it'll be much more rounder on the top part near the end.
    at first i made the top portion of a harley emblem and the lower part.. mounted the top near the top rear of the box and the lower at the lower front of the box.. but when i was getting ready to fleece it i thought it would look weird so i just boxed it in to give some clean lines

the 2nd pic is how it sits in the truck... the 3rd looks like the speaker is facing straight up but it's angled towards the front. i'm going to probably angle the sub ring too and raise it above the box a small amount to give it some rise and round it out.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hey btw do you think capacitors are worth it? i put one on my last setup in my trans am and didn't really notice it too much. i'm thinking if i'm going to push this many watts i probably better get one though.

all i lack to order is a capacitor and a larger can of fiberglass. i've got my check list on my desk here pretty much checked off.

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    No don't use Caps, Use batcap's.. www.batcap.net They work GREAT! But you only need them if you are having low voltage issues when running the system.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i got the amp today.. MAN that sucker is a hoss! chromed out too looks sweet.. i hope the sub came while i was gone.. i'm gonna head to my mom's in a few so we'll see if it came there =)

i've never heard of those batcaps it looks pretty cool.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm just wondering why your going through the trouble of glassing it when it looks like the parts you are glassing are flat (i.e. you could've built the entire thing out of MDF)?

Not criticizing, just wondering...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    lookin good! keep us posted, i want to see the finished product

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nah it's not going to be flat. lots of glass to go the whole top area is going to be rounded out. i got the speaker today.. that sucker is sweet looking... carbon fiber cone, almost 40 lbs, chrome!

so here's what happened today with the setup...

got the speaker... made the mounting ring... glassed the box and let it dry for a few hrs.... i worked on the ring and screw holes and some other stuff while the box dried...

once dry i set up the ring and clothed it.... glassed the entire thing once again with two layers and it's drying overnight... tomorrow the reinforcing begins.

lot of work but it'll be totally different looking than it is now. my mom's STILL trying to figure out what i'm doing besides stinking up my old bedroom to let the box dry in warmth

here's a pic i took with my phone sorry for the crappy quality

about the fiberglass question.. i was going to do something different encorporating a harley logo top section at the top of the box and the lower part of the shield at the bottom but once i did that i didn't think it would look good at all so i made the surfaces flat for right now with some cardboard simple fix but it'll be different than it looks right now
    Last edited by Harley08602; 02-06-2007 at 10:18 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well here's today's update... the box is finished being glassed... i reinforced it with fiberglass matting then fiberglass cloth. i stood ontop the MDF speaker ring and it held me around 225lbs or so =) should hold that 40lb sub fine. i took the rear abs wall out behind my rear bucket seats.... wired the rca line converter to the rear passenger door speaker... that wasn't very fun running the wire through the rubber door tubing to the speaker btw....
    made the amp mount to go behind the rear wall that way i dont have to drill throught the cab's rear.... test fit the speaker on the box... the body filler work begins tomorrow... hey btw does anyone know where i can get either black vinyl or black leather?

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Why don't you get it painted the same style as your truck. I'm going to start building a box which I eventually want to get painted DSG with the maroon stripe with the flames.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    update.... amp and wiring are finished. the box is coming along nicely. i contacted audiobahn about the sub configuration to make sure it would work because i saw that a sealed enclosure was not recommended for this particular sub.... they contacted me back saying that you can not use this sub for a sealed enclosure at all. they recommended the appropriate port which is 3" x 8.5" so as of yesterday i added the port and fiberglassed it into the box to seal around the edges of it. it's a massive port but this speaker is intense and they said it has to be ported.

my friend had two of these in his jeep in a dual sealed box and he recommended porting the box too because his hit hard but it sounded like a tin can with the box he had. he said he's heard them in ported boxes and it kills the box he was using. he also said he gave his speakers hell for 2 yrs and never had a problem with them

it's a spl competition speaker so audiobahn doesn't condone everyday use with it... it's perfect for me because i dont listen to the music thumping all the time... once in awhile i'll get the bug but it'll be nice to know it's there when i need it =)

the seller i bought it from said he's sold over a thousand of these subs and never has had anyproblems reported by any of his customers from using it everyday.

i'm hoping by sometime next week the beast will have juice and be done

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    got a black and decker mouse sander last night with all the bells and whistles.. should save my arms a lot of work... i hope to at least have it ready for paint today.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    update: used body filler on the box today... sanded for a long time.... a small amount of sanding left tomorrow (the brown spots which are fiberglass jelly to fill small pinholes) then it should be ready for priming

yeah dont pay attention to the mess of a room.. it's my old bedroom at my parents' house... it's the only warm area my mom would let me keep the box while all the fiberglass was drying to keep the entire house from stinking.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sanding and priming has begun (camera phone picture sorry for the quality)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast