Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how much power

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

how much power

I have a 02 HD making 402/466 how much more can I go before engine and trans mods are needed

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    450, after that the rods tend to take a dive

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

trans

what about the trans?

Around When I Can...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The rods can go at any time... just make sure its a good safe tune.

I've lost rods twice now.
    Once at roughly 370RWHP
    Second time at 425WRHP

Trans..... i have no clue, i've wondered that.

Work In Progress
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    +1 to fusion's post, my rods went at 370 as well, not saying that yours will. If you really want some power I would recommend looking into a built motor. As for the tranny never heard of any specific #.

Stock Block 11.424@119.87
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Im at 456/527 seems like it is holding up. I also did all supporting mods with safe tune JJ and I dont do top speed runs in 30 deg weather. Knock on wood

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    any hp level you can blow a motor. all depends on the tune and weather conditions. colder it is the more chance you have of going kaBOOM

trans...the tranny is a beefed up superduty unit, so it can handle a pretty decent amount of power. there's L guys running 10's on the stock tranny with a converter and valve body. i've heard the stock tranny is good to 1,000 ft-lbs of torque, but our torque converter has a multiplication factor of two, so if you're at 400/500, you're at the limit of the tranny. now guys have gone further than that or had that for quite a bit of beatings, but for the most part our trannies are pretty stout. i'd definately get a FTVB no matter what though, a must do mod and also helps increase tranny life!

Name: Paul

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Tires seem to go first for some reason! Its just strange!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    lol yeah, got 42,000 miles on my stock tires as N/A, now i'm at under 5K miles on my toyo's as S/C and the rears are half way gone. wonder why lol

Que Bolada!!!
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    My rods whent at 390 HP on a cold day

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marioec View Post
    My rods whent at 390 HP on a cold day
    so is it bad to race when its real cold.. I live n kansas where it gets down to the single digits. Should i just stay off of the accelerator when it gets cold?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
    so is it bad to race when its real cold.. I live n kansas where it gets down to the single digits. Should i just stay off of the accelerator when it gets cold?
    The colder the air, the leaner the engine will run, the higher the chance of joining the motor sploder club. I don't do any WOT runs under 40*F and I have not once done a 2nd gear kick down going 70 mph on the highway, I am running 463/541 to the rear on the stock motor/internals.

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Thread Resurrection!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by socal805 View Post
    = YES on a stock block. Rods are the weak link so you want to avoid the no no's

There is no set temp to watch out for, but my rule of thumb is 50* or less, but it could happen at anytime...seen posts for guys who busted the motor (rods) in middle of summer

- No WOT Blasts
    - No WOT into O/D (make sure you O/D is off)
    - No 2 gear kickdowns (On hwy in 4th, some ricer flys by so you put it to the floor sending the truck into 2nd...reach up and turn the O/D off first...or even better let the ricer go and don't waiste your gas)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBQQSTN View Post
    The colder the air, the leaner the engine will run, the higher the chance of joining the motor sploder club. I don't do any WOT runs under 40*F and I have not once done a 2nd gear kick down going 70 mph on the highway, I am running 463/541 to the rear on the stock motor/internals.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SonicHD View Post
    ... But it SCREAMS like a raped monkey at wot

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is a helpful thread for us newbies. Im glad I read through this before I decide to mod or even plant the pedal to the floor in the near future. I knew that the stock motors rods were the weak link but I didnt think about going WOT on a cold day. I live in PA and as a medic sometimes i have to respond in my truck to a accident and I have a habit of hauling a$$. Maybe next time I will rethink my respond speeds..

Sport90's #1
    Name: Matthew

Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StrokednBlown View Post
    This is a helpful thread for us newbies. Im glad I read through this before I decide to mod or even plant the pedal to the floor in the near future. I knew that the stock motors rods were the weak link but I didnt think about going WOT on a cold day. I live in PA and as a medic sometimes i have to respond in my truck to a accident and I have a habit of hauling a$$. Maybe next time I will rethink my respond speeds..
    Good job using the search function and reading through the old threads...there is so much info on this site its crazy. Make sure you find the HOW TO section also as it is a great help with so many things.

Yea, stay out of that fun pedal in colder weather or you may not make it to the scene at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast