Thread: Lightning Sway Bar Install (Pics)

Threaded View

DSG
    Name: P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightning Sway Bar Install (Pics)

Since there is a hellwig install sticky I thought this would be good additional info. A lot of people have wanted to try this but were not sure if it would fit/clear easily on the HD. I hope this will help someone with their install and eliminate any trail and error.

Do not trust the factory holes in the frame. The driver side hole is a perfect match for a vertical end link (drill it 1/2 inch). The passenger side is a completely different story. If you drill the rearward exhaust hanger hole you will be about 3/4 of an inch too far back. The same goes for the front hole. You need to drill pretty much in the middle of these two holes. Measure off of a common point and make your passenger marks accordingly. (The front hole on the bottom of the frame rail is a good reference point)

L sway fits fine and looks very factory. Just need a little fab work to make it look clean (for exhaust hanger and brake lines). Great ride but I think you need the Bilsteins or Q1As to fully complement the new ride.

Brake lines were really no big deal. I took the 3 way block loose from the diff vent line and made a very simple bracket to relocate it a little bit lower. The driver side lines clear the u bolt this way. the passenger side line I left in the stock location and had enough room to run between the U bolt and the axle tube.

I rotated the exhaust hanger bracket on a vertical plane behind the large opening in the frame. I used the opening as a guide on where to install the hanger bolts.

I also measured ~8 1/8 inches off of my factory trailer hitch bracket. Like I stated in my previous post, this lines up almost perfectly with the forward hole (small holes) on the bottom of the two frame rails.

IMHO I think that this install looks very factory and better than the hellwig option. I wanted to use Ford parts on my truck so I went this route.

I do not see any issues with clearance any where. The truck does handle much better now. Please feel free to comment or ask any more questions.

The first picture shows where I placed my exhaust bracket holes and where I drilled the end link hole. The factory hole on the passenger side was way off. Has any one noticed this before??

I was going to fab a new exhaust hanger bracket but figured it looked more original using the factory hanger and just turning it vertical.

After driving the truck for a week with the rear swaybar I am very impressed with the improved handling of the truck. Please feel free to ask any additional questions!

Exhaust hanger and passenger end link location:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by S/C-HD2002; 03-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    2002 DSG