Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Zaino-Guru seeking Buffer-Guru suggestions! (kromdom, rockpick?)

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    agree 100% with above: the lifetime warranty is the clincher! BTW, JOSH: any reason why you're not buying direct from Meg's??
    Kromie, can you please take care of this for me??
    Sweet Jesus, gonna need a step ladder and a couple extra hands for that big boy!

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    meguiars wants like 50 bucks over autodetailingsolutions for the same exact crap! at least last time i checked

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    well i bit the bullet and took a nose dive head first into this buffer shiznittle!

Lets see...i got...
    1 of these...

6 pack of these...

6 pack of these...

1of these...

6 pack of these...

3 pack of these...

1 of these...

1 of these...

and 1 of these (FREEBIE!)...

Grand total....$320 bucks
    Last edited by Harley#356; 03-23-2007 at 02:29 PM.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kromdom
    agree 100% with above: the lifetime warranty is the clincher! BTW, JOSH: any reason why you're not buying direct from Meg's??

Sweet Jesus, gonna need a step ladder and a couple extra hands for that big boy!

Yeah he approached me last year to work on that tank too...LOL

THE DA Porter is the bomb....and you can't mess it up....

You can use Meguairs for great tips on using the DA, what pad selection to use with what polish or wax, speed settings for each product.

Once you use it you're gonna be like what the Hell was I thinking doing this by hand for.

IT cuts your time down drastically...what used to take me a week to do....now takes an afternoon...Not to mention that once you get the base down and perfect.....touch ups are even quicker...another plus is that you use so little product...even less than what you use now as a little really does go a long way..

FOr the Meguiars guys...you can still find 81 online on ebay...I have 81, 82 and 83...excellent polishes and can be mixed with Zaino...they are not waxes and leave no residue after you apply and get rid of the spider webs......

no reason to really use the 81,82,83 process either....choose the product for teh grade spiderwebs/scracthes that you have...

Typically for touching it up( after I got my paint smoothed out)..I use 81 or 82 followed by NXT or GOld CLass. The big clean only warrants, wash/clay/rinse/dry/81or82/nxt or gold class.
    Last edited by bgstew6; 03-24-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356
    lol yeah i dont have the balls to mess with a rotary buffer yet. alot easier to damage the paint than a DA, so i'll just stick with that til i get the skills down
    Just wait 'til you "graduate" to a rotary/wool-bonnet! ... you will say: "WTF? ... why was I messin' with a DA and Meguiar's?!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    it'll be a long time for that one, and hopefully my paints never in the shape where its beyond DA repair and needs rotary

and no more messin with meguiars anyway haha, bought another $180 worth of zaino yesterday

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356
    it'll be a long time for that one, and hopefully my paints never in the shape where its beyond DA repair and needs rotary

and no more messin with meguiars anyway haha, bought another $180 worth of zaino yesterday
    I use probably 10 different brands, I try alot and use what works the best. I like alot of Meguiars and 3M stuff. When I 1st started doing recon they were the 2 major players. Now there are tons of companies popping up. The Professional Series Meguiars is REALLY good stuff.

Have you ever heard of Presta? They make some good stuff but it is for rotary buffers mostly...here is a car I did with there stuff... 1st 2 stages are with a wool pad then the final finish is with a foam polishing pad.

I actually did about 5-6 steps..I waxed it with Megs #26..some old school wax..then went over it with some Nano spray.

I should have taken some before pics....it was BADDDDDD

BTW..this is an original paint 87 Monte Carlo SS... with 70k on it...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OH..this car is FOR SALE if you know any GM guys wanting a nice G-body...PM me for more info! ;)

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    car looks good man! never heard of presta. i've tried most of the over-the-shelf brand products though. always up for testing out something new! always seem to go back to my zaino though

And my buffer will arrive friday! cant wait!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What speed will you use you PC at? I have all I need now to do my truck but dont know if I want to use the PC to apply the Zaino. I will most likely just use it to remove and buff.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    not too sure, gotta get the PC first and mess around with it a little. i've never used one before, but the speed charts they have seem somewhat vague. the speeds listed for almost everything were either 2-4 or 3-5. i'm guessing its one of those once you start, you'll figure it out pretty quick, and depending on the product/surface adjust as needed.

i'll probably be using it more for applying the zaino than removing it. with a few drops of ZFX and 30-45 mins between applying/removal, it usually wipes right off. its the applying part that kills my hands for some reason. although i did buy a 6 pack of MF bonnets for removal to give it a shot with the PC

they also say you use less product with a buffer compared to hand, but from doingit sooooo much, i can do my entire truck with an ounce of zaino, i dont really see me using much less than that.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    4 ought to cure what ails ya on the setting....

I used a three when I used the heavier 83 to get the bad cobwebs out...

Now with 82 or 81 I just use 4 to apply the polish and wax

5/6 with the bonnet for removing the wax

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    well got the truck done. what a piece of cake!!! NEVER doing the full deal by hand again! lol i may throw a coat or two on here or there by hand cuz zaino is so easy on/off, but for the full yearly all out detail, DA here i come! lol

did a coat of ZPC with yellow pad, ZAIO with yellow pad, then 2 coats of Z5 with the tan pad and 1 coat of Z2 with the tan pad. still wanna hit it with the Z-CS, but thats by hand.

got all the swirls and spider webs out of the paint, but there's some other really fine scraches here and there from just being outside 24/7/365 for the past 7 years that the yellow pad & ZPC couldnt get out. when i do my full blown detail next spring i'll try to use a bit more aggressive products to work those out, but til then, truck is looking a million times better!

#4954, 12APR01
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    don't be holding out on pics, man! BTW, no more "hand jobs", huh?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'll get pics! computer here at work doesnt have a SD card reader so cant upload them just yet.

and of course there will still be hand jobs! haha, just not quite as often! lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast