Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Zaino-Guru seeking Buffer-Guru suggestions! (kromdom, rockpick?)

tdr6874
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i like 3m products and pads for a compound and glaze with rotary...then finish with any wax you want carnuba based. for a compound to work you have got to have speed....finishes today, clear coats, are so much harder than the single stage paints of years ago...most people have heard horror stories of someone using a rotary buffer and cutting a corner of a fender right down to metal in about 2 seconds...now with foam pads and variable speed rotary buffers and many grits of compounds it is almost impossible to cut though clear to the base. use a wool and full speed and a harsh compound and you will...i have been detailing cars professionally for a couple of years now and all my daily riders are black. i use only rotarty on all my and customer vehicles. one draw back of the rotary is that it is messy...the stuff slings everywhere. if its not slinging there is not enough on the pad. da polishers tend not to do that...i joke with my friend about his porter cable da that he has a nice waxer....showed him yesterday on his jeep srt8 black. he had a couple of scratches that he claims will not come out...took them out in about 5 mins with a 3 stages compound and glaze and finished with 3m ultrafina....he is looking for a new rotaray buffer now....i have color-sanded upwards of 10 complete cars, use only rotary....a da is so safe because it does so little...get a rotarty borrow one and use it on the wifes car...you will not use a porter cable again. now i will get ready for every one that follows the heard and says zaino and porter cable da rocks the house.

THE FINAL DETAIL
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm just 2.5 months late to the party... ;)

Anyone need help? Joshy? LOL!

Sorry man... I know you told me that you PM'd me here but, I'm here so infrequently... If you need me, find me in the Detailing & General Care forum at f150online.com... I don't frequent MOL nearly as often -- even though I used to help run the place.

Again, sorry Josh. It looks like Krom got you squared away.

-RP-

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haha better late than never i guess!

I did shoot you a line at f150online, but guess us HD guys are second priority

got the buffer and loving it! NEVER going back!

THE FINAL DETAIL
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    haha better late than never i guess!

I did shoot you a line at f150online, but guess us HD guys are second priority

got the buffer and loving it! NEVER going back!
    Wow... it was like 3 years ago when I first started trying to talk you into getting a PC 7424...

Oh yeah... you HD guys *do* get second priority... ;) Gotta look out for the KR guys first! HAHA!

Seroiusly man... glad you like it... it really saves a boatload of time, is incredibly safe, and is incredibly effective at removing general swirling, minor scratches, light oxidation, and a host of other moderate paint problems.

A rotary is nice but, why hit it with a sledge hammer when a tack hammer will foot the bill? I mean, I spin a Makita around with the best of them (mind you, I burned up my Dewalt that I had previously)... but, I only find myself really going to my rotary on about every 3rd detail... so, about 35% of the vehicles I do -- the rest are handled with the PC and a couple of applications of choice polishes (typically #80 or #83).

That said, Meguiar's has introduced a pretty nice product called So1o (AKA: #86). They tout this product as a 'one step polish' and it's made for use with the rotary. I have some of it and have been tinkering... so far, the jury is out on it but, I do like it for the most part.

-RP-

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i'll be hitting you up next spring for my next major overhauling detail

my ZFX worked great on the light swirls, but some heavier marks on the paint were still there (what can you expect for a 7 year old truck with no garage!). anyway, not redoing everything for this summer/fall , but when i do my yearly overhaul in the spring, i'll be hitting you up on some advice for some slightly more aggressive compounds to try out with the PC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3