Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: New feet!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great looking truck.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks rOADK1ng....

Slick! yes I trimmed them but not agressive enough. Will have to trim more but much better thanks. I also zip-tied the up and back which helped as well. I may have to trim a little metal just inside the fender where to parts come together. Going today to have my tires dry bagged. God I hope this works.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Keep us posted on the balancing -- I love those wheels, especially with the 10 lug adaptor

--Snake

Old Hog
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampsue
    Slick! yes I trimmed them but not agressive enough. Will have to trim more but much better thanks. I also zip-tied the up and back which helped as well. I may have to trim a little metal just inside the fender where to parts come together. Going today to have my tires dry bagged. God I hope this works.
    The worst ones I ever had to trim was on my soinlaws 04 F250 and we had to shorten them up app 2 inches from the bottom,,,but the cut/trim real easy, and there's nothing behind them to really protect., also either Rough Country or Rugged Trail actually make a bumper shim kit thats about 35.00.
    The biggest thing you have to remember is that no matter how well their balanced, the ride is going to suffer due to the fact that you have that much unsprung weight,,,,on a stiff COMMERCIAL 14ply tire., and if you try to bag the tires down to low on air pressure you'll start to pick up side sway due to the low air pressure.
    Last edited by Slick03hd; 04-11-2007 at 07:15 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Slick.

Preciate the info. I'm running toyo open countries not the commercial tires. Don't no what the difference in unsprung wieght is but honestly I feel like the ride would be just fine if it were balanced. Bags going in today so I'll ley ya'll know. I came real close to sending the wheels back but they really look great and unique. The wheels are a PIA to remove from the adapters and in general due to the weight and # of lugnuts, etc. Gotta fiqure out a spare situation as well and keep the extra lug wrench in the truck. When it rains the truck puts out rooster tails at all the wheels so now I'm looking into the Bushwacker flares. Jonny

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How the bags work out?

--Snake

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Better but not perfect.....

Driving up to columbia,SC tues to try a shop recommended by American Force wheels. Will update. Jonny

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Holy crap! I really hope you get it sorted out. I love those wheels, especially with the 10 lug adaptors. That's the setup I want to go with, but no way could I do it if they won't balance.

Good luck!

You may want to post up your dilemma over at thedieselgarage.com
    Some really knowledgeable peeps over there and they might be able to help out.

--Snake
    Last edited by Snake; 04-14-2007 at 10:14 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well???

I've been waiting all day and all night (when I really should be ) to hear if your road trip to Columbia did the trick...
    I hope so b/c I'd hate to see those bad-a** wheels go off on a

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Redsnapper......

You make me laugh when I want to go postal. I spent 6 hrs sitting at a wheel shop yesterday. At the end ......no Luck! Still hops at 48-52 and then again at 68 and above. Called the shop that mounted the toyos and there going to replace all four tires. If that doesn't work then it's time to crate them up and send them back. Snake, I'll check at the dieselgarage for help. More updastes to come. It's a shame too, I get more looks and comments in the truck then I do in my convertible. Everybody thinks the truck looks bada__.

Old Hog
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You make me laugh when I want to go postal. I spent 6 hrs sitting at a wheel shop yesterday. At the end ......no Luck! Still hops at 48-52 and then again at 68 and above. Called the shop that mounted the toyos and there going to replace all four tires. If that doesn't work then it's time to crate them up and send them back. Snake, I'll check at the dieselgarage for help. More updastes to come. It's a shame too, I get more looks and comments in the truck then I do in my convertible. Everybody thinks the truck looks bada__.
    Did they spin balance the tires on the truck? If the tires are round and balancing them didn't take an excessive amount of weight(nothing over app. 6oz) swapping tires probably won't help. Like I told you earlier, the problem probably stems from the weight/balance of the adaptors, not the tires/rims. iIf the adaptors are in the ballpark weight wise, you might be able to compensate for them in the tire balance,,,spinning them on the truck..Otherwise your beating your head against a brick wall....good luck.

Man this is expensive!!!
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sampsue, just wanted to throw something out to you. I have the hopping and vibes in the same places you mentioned with 37" Toyo MT's. Ford is notoriously bad a balancing these 2 piece driveshafts. My plan is to have my driveshaft balanced and shim the rear axel to see if I can get the problem to go away. I have tried everything else. Might be something to look into and might not be directly related to your tires, they just amplified the problem.
    Last edited by 2manytrucks; 04-18-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It really is a sweet looking setup. I'd love to duplicate it on my rig so I REALLY hope you can make it work.

Two thoughts:
    Are the adaptors balanced? Just wondering if they might be contributing.....

Instead of balancing the driveshaft, what about a 1 piece driveshaft? Quite a few people have said its helped with their vibrations (which may or may not be related to the larger wheels they're running)

--Snake

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Slick, I believe the Balancing pit for 18 wheelers

spin balances the wheels and tires on the truck. This was done with no luck. the last 2 balances were bag type and the way I understand it is they placed the bags in and drove around to release the sand. Anyway, I've been told by a 4x4 shop that 2 of the tires were out of round. Went back to the tire shop and they said Bull****. But after thier bag attempt they are going to replace the tires. Maybe a stupid question, but how do you balance an adapter? Now the adapters are hub centric bolted to the hub with 14 x 1.5 60 degree beveled open ended lugnuts and the rims are hubcentric on the adapters with very large open ended washered nuts. The couple of times I've dismounted my rims and remounted them, the large washered nuts don't seem to go back to the same spot, but the rims fit very tightly over the hubcentric part of the adapter so I can only assume they are mounting hubcentric. Slick, the original balance attempt used (6) 2oz weights on one of the wheels. Can you ....I'm going to call you. One finger typing takes too long. I will look into the drive shaft issue and see if the symptoms are similar.
    Thanks for all the help guys. Jonny

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have no idea how you'd balance an adaptor I was thinking one of them might not have be made correctly (slightly out of tolerance) and was causing the vibration. Kinda like having a tire that's out of round.

--Snake

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast