Thread: Something to add to the PCV-catch can thread

2V Mod Expert
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Something to add to the PCV-catch can thread

I would have added this to the existing thread but it is closed for posting. Please add your comments. Thanks

The PCV is is on your vehicle for no other reason than emissions. Period. The engine is not producing enough blowby at idle to make any difference in what is staying in the crankcase, when using a non-vaccum assisted catch can or breathers, and at high rpms the crankcase is under enough pressure to blow the moisture and gasses, out of itself. People always want to make the arguement that "you lose hp when you are not under crankcase vaccum" This is not true. If you are not running a BIG vaccum pump you will not gain or lose 1 hp. If you have a centri or a turbo when you get into boost you arent pulling vaccum anyways if you are using a PCV routed between the blower and TB because boost will close the PCV valve. We put mine on the dyno, ran it with the PCV in place, seperator and all, then removed it and ran it again. What do you know, not a single bit of difference. It idled the exact same, and made the exact same hp and tq. It actually picked up 1 hp, but I dont count that, as it could have been other anomolies such as intake air temp. The best solution I have found is to run a line from each valve cover to a catch can with a breather on top, and plug the intake tract holes. You can attach a piece of vaccum hose to the drain(ock on the catch and put the end in a container, and open the valve to get the crap out of it. You will get mostly acidy water and almost no oil, as you dont have the vaccum to suck the oil mist out anymore.The factory put the PCV on cars because emissions regulations will not allow them to dump the gasses to atmosphere. You think Ford engineers wanted every 03-04 Cobra, Lightning, and HD to have an intercooler crapped up with burnt oil goo? Not to mention the oil getting sucked into the intake is lowering the effective octane rating of the fuel, leading to detonation, and eventually engine failure. As far as seperators go they work ok too. The L&S one seems the best design I have seen so far.

Pics of the setup on my GT

Last edited by HardcoreHeath; 03-29-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Que Bolada!!!
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Looking good there.

2V Mod Expert
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks. Imabout to put one on mt truck. Trying to figure out the best place to mount the can.