Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lowering a 07 2WD

Gearhead99
    Name:

Lowering a 07 2WD

Ok, new to the forum here and just purchased a 07 2WD.

Now that I have 500+ miles I'm thinking about lowering in a bit. Two reasons: Better looking and easier to enter and exit. I traded my 05 King Ranch in on the HD and the KR had running boards.

I've read all the posts here about 3/5 and 2/4 drops. I also check at some of the parts places on the site about the kits. Now I have several questions....
    1. If it is dropped does it bottom out or ride like crap?
    2. Can it be aligned or will it wear tires and wander all over the road?
    3. Can you put anything in the bed to haul after the surgery?
    4. I don't haul much of anything, but sometimes I do haul 4-6 tires [I own an auto/tk repair garage.
    5. What are the best kits? On some of the parts places they have some listed with shocks, some without shocks. Some with springs, some without springs. Some with this and that shim, brkts, some without. etc,etc,etc.
    6. Does anyone know anything about all the different makes too?
    7. Lastly the pricing is all over the place too. Don't mind buying what I need, just don't want to get layed away.

Need some input here.....

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.nhtoc.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=30598

if you read that thread it should answer a few of your questions. it sounds like if you still want to haul heavy stuff the 3.5/5 might be an inch too low.....
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    if you still want to haul and tow a lot and want a near-stock ride feel, i'd go 2/4 on your truck. with the right shocks & a good kit, the ride will definately improve and handle better and not sacrifice too much ride quality.

i'm not quite up to date on the 04+ f150's for the drop kits, but i'm pretty sure belltech makes a setup for you, and groundforce. the belltech nitro shocks are crap, but see if bilstein sells shocks for the new f150's and try to snag a set of those

Gearhead99
    Name:

FYI, nah I don't haul anything "heavy". Just a few tires from time to time and maybe the xmas tree. Don't tow anything much anymore either. Sold the boat.

BUT, I don't want to ruin the truck either. Guess I want the best of both worlds.

Being in the auto/tk repair business I have seen my share of CRAP hung on vehicles. That doesn't work, vibrates, lasts 90 days, etc, etc.

I'll read that thread, thanks alot.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The best of both worlds would be the GF 9944 as it changes the leaf springs, shocks and springs and the look. I will try to get my dealer to send me pics of my truck.

Gearhead99
    Name:

Would appreciate that.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'll be putting a DJM 2.5x4kit on my 07 next week I'll let you know how it goes

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    better have the camera handy! gotta see the pics!! lol

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pics anyone? I am debating 2/4 or 3/5 Ground Force. but esdonkeyboy with the DJM 3.5 / 5 kit on his looks great, so there might be too much space if the 4 X 2 is only lowered with the 2 / 4 kit.

The only thing he mentioned was front tire rubbing with aggressive turns ( I believe when towing his KTM). now, up front the DJM kit has control arms, where GF uses lowering springs.

Has there been any probs with rear end geometry on the 3 / 5 kit
    ???
    Last edited by huot5; 07-22-2007 at 08:30 AM.

tdr6874
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not prob with geometry for a 5 in the back...but need c notch for a true 5 inch drop if you dont want a loud bang over every bump (thats with an empty load). djm is true 5 inch, ground force is just over 4 inch on thier 5 inch drop....anything over 2 in the front means new front tires that are lower profile...i called djm and ground force several times....and groundfroce said go with the 2/4...lot less problems...thats them not me, they told me that the 5 will bottom out on an empty truck hitting humps in road that are moderate in size not just big ones....still shopping but i will prob go with ground force 2/4...i was going to do a mix match with a belltech drop spindle 2 up front and a ground force 4 out back....but was told to realign the front with a 2 inch drop is not a problem....djm said that the 3.5/5 will need new lower profile tires also to keep it from rubbing with the stock 22 hd wheel tire setup.

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dang. so a 2 / 4 drop might be the better route for me. we don't have bad roads, but a few places might cause the bottoming out effect. I don't need the hassle.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huot5 View Post
    Dang. so a 2 / 4 drop might be the better route for me. we don't have bad roads, but a few places might cause the bottoming out effect. I don't need the hassle.
    I'm thinking on the 2wd a 2 / 4 drop will look great and if you really want to put her down then go with the 3 / 5 drop.

Later...
    Bruce

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black 2003 View Post
    I'm thinking on the 2wd a 2 / 4 drop will look great and if you really want to put her down then go with the 3 / 5 drop.

Later...
    Bruce
    Yep, if it was to be a weekend cruiser / and for hangin out with other gear heads then go with 3 / 5. but the 2 /4 is much better for a DD without worrying about bumps and steep driveways and chit.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by huot5 View Post
    Yep, if it was to be a weekend cruiser / and for hangin out with other gear heads then go with 3 / 5. but the 2 /4 is much better for a DD without worrying about bumps and steep driveways and chit.
    I'm with you on that and will be looking to do the 2 / 4 drop as soon as I can.
    According to tracking my truck shipped July 18th!

Later...
    Bruce

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mine is to be delilvered as I soon as I give the ok to ship down here.
    I'm trying to get the dealer to throw in a tailgate liner to match the bed mat. I will be getting a roll n lock or pace setter installed as soon as I get the truck.

but first I need to demod my 02 DSG just a bit more....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast