Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to Use Sea Foam...

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How to Use Sea Foam...

Quick down and dirty how to on using Sea Foam...great stuff

SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

As advertised for peak performance, the manufacturers say to use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Mile in the 3 areas below. But seeing as how today’s oils and gases contain better detergents as compared to 20 years ago, I like to use it:

1) In the crank case at oil every oil change
    2) Two times a year in the top end
    3) Four times a year in the fuel system

Cleaning top End

1) With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. (This will pull SEA FOAM down through the super charger rotors, inter cooler, on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve oil and carbon build up.) One special note if running an oil seperator....its a good idea to pull the top connection off the plenum and put a dime in there...this will prevent the vacuum path to suck seafoam from the lower intake manifold (the little that my pool during this process) valley and up into the Oil Seperator....IF you poor slowly enough no puddling will occur and all will be vaporized and sucked down the runners as the intention of this process is meant for. DOnt forget to remove your temp plug after the process is over.

a) Start the motor and let it get up to operating temp
    b) Pull brake booster line or P.C.V. line and put thumb over the line (the truck will want to die if you don’t.)
    c) Lift thumb slightly, tilt can next to hole and at same time slowly poor/let vacuum suck the sea foam into the line.

2) Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build ups are apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.

Cleaning Crank Case

Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon Removes moisture from oil crankcases.
    Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression
    Cleans PCV valve systems
    One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

1) Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case. (I usually poor it in and let the motor idle for 15-20 minutes and then immediately conduct my oil/oil filter change.)

Cleaning/Treating the Fuel System

Removes moisture from fuel and tank
    Cleans fuel injectors
    Cleans carbon buildup from intake valves and pistons
    Cleans catalytic converter odors
    Stabilizes fuel (Use for engine storage)
    One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

1) Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank (just dump it in and go)
    Last edited by bgstew6; 03-28-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cleaners

IM A DEALRSHIP TECH I USED A LIKE PRODUCT ON MY
    S/C HARLEY TRUCK . THEY WORK WELL IN NON S/C MOTORS BUT CAN
    CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE AND CAUSE LOSS OF BOOST!!!
    WANT TO KNOW WHY??????????????????????????????????????????????? ???

THE COLD CLEANER VERY STRONG CLEANER HITS THE HOT ROTORS WICH HAVE A PROTECTIVE COATING AND PEELS IT RITE OFF.... FLAKES WOUND UP ON THE INTERCOOLER THE COATING WORKS TO TIGHTEN UP THE TOLERANCES OF THE S/C ROTORS INCREASING PRESSURE
    THEREFORE BOOST. I USED THESE TYPE OF CLEANERS AND I WOUND UP
    REPLACING A SUPERCHARGER. WHEN I APPROACHED THE COMPANY A VERY BIG AND RESPECTED NAME WITH THE LETTERS B AND G
    THEY DIDNT EVEN APOLOGIZE THEY GAVE OUT A FLIER AT MY VERY HIGH END DEALERSHIP IT READ LIKE THIS ""DO NOT USE SYSTEM CLEANER ON SUPERCHARGED OR TURBO CARS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, FRIENDS
    BEWARE OF WHAT YOU PUT IN YOUR ENGINE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT CAN COST YOU BIG $$$$$$

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    used it for two years on my Harley (Sea FOam) spun at 12lbs, that blower when it came out was in perfect shape...still is.

LIke product you used must have been harsher than Sea Foam. Just my personal experience...but I do agree....must be careful what you put in your truck. Some brands of carb cleaner will eat the teflon coating off your rotors real quick as well.

FYI you can bash products here..jsut not vendors
    Last edited by bgstew6; 03-28-2007 at 10:56 PM.

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    What about putting the seafoam direct port through your fuel pressuer regulator?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I guess if you have the setup to do so...and I think you mean via the fuel Rail pressure test port?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been using it for awhile..works great. I just did my truck again the other day...HOLY SMOKE!!! I need to do it again I think..,

Name:

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Would you not just take off the vaccum line of the regulator and get a hose to put it in the seafoam?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the vac line controls the diaphram internal to the FPR,,,,dont think you are gonna get sea foam to go in there...

just pull off the brake booster line on the intake plenum (top hose drivers side)from the brake booster and cover it with yuor thumb (while engine is running) crack your thumb jsut enough for the seam foam to get sucked in...jcan slowly suck in bout a half a can of it and dump the rest in the gas tank...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    stew you do this often?

i did it on my last f150, right thru the brake booster. No ill effects, no positives either. I've heard horror stories of people getting a hydrolock effect from doing it so I'm a little leary now. Especially since the Harley is a lot nicer than my old V6

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    stew you do this often?

i did it on my last f150, right thru the brake booster. No ill effects, no positives either. I've heard horror stories of people getting a hydrolock effect from doing it so I'm a little leary now. Especially since the Harley is a lot nicer than my old V6

You have to dump it in the line real fast to do that, take it slow and you will be fine.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The trickle effect, easy does it..............

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    never used it and a bit leary to as well. when i took apart my N/A motor at 40K+ miles, everything looked brand spankin new inside, no buildup or gunk at all even in the slightest indication, and that was only using synthetic since 36K miles

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    never used it and a bit leary to as well. when i took apart my N/A motor at 40K+ miles, everything looked brand spankin new inside, no buildup or gunk at all even in the slightest indication, and that was only using synthetic since 36K miles

If you just suck it through a vacuum line it works as a top engine cleaner, it gets rid of carbon deposits in the combustion chamber, cleans out oil in the intake from PVC, etc.

You can put some in your oil as well, but I never have in my truck since it has always had synthetic or or the Motorcraft blend.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I havent done it in about two years.....first year I did not do it to see how well the amw/*** oil sep worked...then did not do it the second year to see how well the maint free mod for the amw worked....

I have dumped it in my gas tank....a couple of times.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You really need to increase the idle RPM to about 1500-2000 and pour slowly inorder for the Sea foam to be sucked into all the intake ports if you introduce it through the booster line. Otherwise the sea foam in our application just doesnt reach all the ports evenly. I did it the way described and then pulled the SC and Innercooler and found that only some of the intake ports were cleaned and I used the whole bottle. I then talked to a local shop that deals with L's and he stated I needed to up the RPM's to get it to get sucked into the port better and it worked.
    Tazz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast