Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it safe?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Is it safe?

I know the title can mean alot of diff. things but I just need to know. I purchased my truck used and alot of parts went in and out of it between the time the origonal owner purchased the truck and to the time he sold it.
    When he traded it in he returned it to stock. I contacted him after the purchase just to ask some questions. So he had the extra parts that he took off for the trade in, he said he was gonna sell em so I bought em. The thing is, is that he never said anything about if he had a handheld tuner or if he even had a chip.
    The current mods I have done are Bassani exhuast, accufab tb, jlp cai, #2 pulley. I just took a look yesterday and I can tell someone messed with the computer at one time. For instance it has duct tape around it and he wrote his name followed by was here. One of the things taped to the computer is a little blue square, its about 2.5"x3" or so. Ive tryed to get ahold of him but he works out on a fishing boat and is gone for weeks at a time.
    Question is should I look more in into it or should I just wait a few months till I go out to jlp for my tune.
    sorry for the long post any help would be great.

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    pull the tape off and look at it...sounds like a superchips...chip plugged into the PCM....why its still on there no clue....especially if it has a tune in the chip for mods that are no longer there.

I would defintley keep trying to get in touch with him and find out what tune is on the chip (if it is one)

The chip will have to come out, if yuo go to the dyno and get a custom tune that you will load up with a programmer of some sort.

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I say get the tune asap for insurance

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    My thought is, is that at one time there was a chip but im hoping that there still is. I bought all of the parts that were origonally on there (before the trade in) and now I am working on putting a few on of my own. If theres no chip than I gotta get one before I go up to jlp since I want to put a #6 lower on.
    So your saying I should take some of the tape off? W/o removing the computer?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    to see what the blue thing is that is taped to the pcm...LOL to see if it is a chip or not.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Good point if its not a chip than I wanna know what it is. As for the tune I beleive I cant get the tune until I get a chip (if its not a chip in there).

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    again...

if it is a chip...what tune is in the chip...if its a tune that was made for all the other mods that were on the truck at one time....How is your truck not running like crap...(this is dependent of the mods that were on at one time and if it is a chip and it has a tune in it for those specific mods.)

Did he have pulley on it? If so what kind...and what were teh other mods.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Origonal mods were bassani catback, mac cai w/ k&n filter, and #2 lower.
    Now I installed a jlp cai, bassani exhuast, #2 pulley, accufab tb. also the truck is making a weird rattling noise as I cannot find out where its comming from. But so far thats all its doing and mph is around 12-14 depending on the way I drive. The only other perf. I wanna do is a #6 lower. But I know I need a tune and chip if I dont have one. Im going to look now
    02 dsg
    Current mods.
    JLP stage 3 motor,kb 2.3, jlp plenum,bassani comp r exhuast,High stall torque converter,2" rear drop, JLP CAI, Accufab TB, Diablo h/h, jlp dyno tune,3.2 upper, #10L, ,mafia,jlp oil ell. kit, dynojet wideband,JLP long bars, JLP IC tank,255 pumps,weapon x coil packs, denso plugs
    08'best:13.151@95.63 402/476
    09'best:11.89@115 548/590
    10'best:11.43@121 549/587

next up:2.6 kb,built trans,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    when is the rattling occuring....

Could be detonation....if you hear that you need to get out of it....

when was the last time you changed the plugs, and fuel filter as well.

exhaust, SBTB and air filter should not warrant a tune...heck you can even run 2lbs more of boost without a tune. (although any upgrade in boost it is adviseable to get it on a Dyno and at least check out the a/fs and make sure you are in the good)

I bet he left the chip in it....pull the tape off the blue thing and with the truck off (of course) pull it out and see how she runs without it.

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Ok I took it out and it is a superchip. As for the tune on it I duno as I didnt even know it was in there. Would jlp be able to reprogram the superchip or no.
    As for the rattling noise it only happens when the truck is warmed up and around 1,500 to 2,000 RPM's.
    thanks guys once again you pull though for me
    god i love this forum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the sound...does it come on when you lean into the gas a little bit....at that RPM.....if so sounds like tip in detonation....

sound like Ball Bearing bouncing around in a tin can by any chance?

Leave the chip out and take it for a spin....normal driving....at cruise lean into the gas a little and see if that rattle is still there...

Never answered my other ?s

when was last time the Fuel Filter wass replaced?
    when was last time the plugs were replaced?
    and You are running at least 91 oct in her correct?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    This weekend I will be changing the oil, plugs, and fuel filter.
    Ive had the truck since the end of feb. it hasnt had a tune up since.
    Also yes thats what the sound sounds like (like a Ball Bearing bouncing around in a tin can) I will take it for a spin now and just see. Right now the truck is cold so we will just have to see. As long as I just lean into the gas it makes the noise but if I get on it than it doesnt.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hot cold it doesnt matter...take her for a spin...I can amost assure you it is tip in tip in det.....removing the chip should cure this...

Remember not to run anything less that 91 oct in her....if you have 93 around you then use that....PREMIUM FUEL ONLY>>>>>>out here in Cali the best we get at the pumps is 91 and Ls and HDs run just fine on it out here.

Give her a proper tune up....she prob needs it...

PLugs (NGK TR6 gapped to .038)
    Fuel Filter
    Clean the Maf Sensor
    Adjust your TPS
    oil
    oil filter

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I took it for a spin w/o the chip and it sounded great. It was amazing it almost felt like it even had more power. So I guess I should leave the super chip out? I thought that a chip was good. Is it just superchips are crap or somthing I used to have one in my 87 gt and it ran like crap

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Oh and on the tape that went over the chip it has (PENK was here). I dont get why he wrote it his name is corey, so im woundering if maybe it actually means somthing or if its just b.s writting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast