Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: question about an amp...

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

next question

Think i will need a new alternator to push this...if so do you think this will do it...would love to do it just cause it is chrome..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...02637582QQrdZ1

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    A new High Output alternator won't hurt but I don't think its Needed. The crome does look good but the alternator is almost hidden.

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 03hdsc
    Think i will need a new alternator to push this...if so do you think this will do it...would love to do it just cause it is chrome..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-...02637582QQrdZ1
    Why is that alternator so cheap? What is out stock alternator rated at?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would stay away from the JL amps. You could always look into either Rockford or Memphis. The Memphis 1000 watt amp has a very small profile and is capable of 1ohm mono. The JL amps are huge power drawing pigs. I would stay away from them at all costs unless you just like the name.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    ??? I have no problems with the JL Slash amps I'm using? They are much more efficient than other amps I have looked at.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade09
    I would stay away from the JL amps. You could always look into either Rockford or Memphis. The Memphis 1000 watt amp has a very small profile and is capable of 1ohm mono. The JL amps are huge power drawing pigs. I would stay away from them at all costs unless you just like the name.
    Please do not listen to this post. They draw more power because they actually draw what they are rated at. I had a Memphis amp rated at the exact same as the JL I just got and the JL blows it away. Rockford is a has been name and they dont put out anything quality anymore.

Listen to these 3 amps side by side with the same speakers and make that statement again.

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Amen SD! I had Rockford back in the day and that was some good stuff. But now a days its questionable.
    My JL amps are the best ones I have ever run/installed.
    Listen to them side by side and see for your self.
    If you want a real life demo I'll take you out for a ride in the truck and turn the stereo up and listen for yourself. How clean and powerfull the JL"s actually are.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Regardless of what is written here, it is simply opinion. JL is not the best power for the money out there and there slash series were the ones I was referring to. I would avoid them. The guy that had my truck before me had them in here and ended up replacing them. My recommendation would be the 1000 watt Memphis and if the x-over on the amp wasn't enough, Just buy an aftermarket x-over. That is all that the JL has over the memphis. If you aren't going to do an alternator upgrade, you will end up having problems with clipping with two JL amps(if one is the 1000/1). The Memphis uses an unregulated power supply and will not clip unless you are dipping down to less than 12 volts. Additionally, if you plan on doing a battery upgrade, which would help, stay away from the Optima's. There are guys on this forum that have two yellow tops that perform worse than my one Kinetix. Guys, lets all be honest, if he was after pure sound quality, he wouldn't have purchased the MTX subs. I don't think that the extended x-over network on the JL is something that he needs to waste his money on. Here is what I would put in and if you weren't pleased with the SQ, add the 2-way crossover from memphis.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2617

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdharley03
    Please do not listen to this post. They draw more power because they actually draw what they are rated at. I had a Memphis amp rated at the exact same as the JL I just got and the JL blows it away. Rockford is a has been name and they dont put out anything quality anymore.

Listen to these 3 amps side by side with the same speakers and make that statement again.

That would be because of your installation, not because the memphis puts out less than it claims. What is your electrical system?

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Only thing I agree with Renegade about is the Optima Yellow tops, they didn't impress me either. The Red Top I had was great the Yellow top sucked.

Other wise listen to the amps. Opinions are like a$$holes everyone has one. All the experiances I have had with amps the JL's have been the best.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    I agree that this is all opinion, but I had a 500/1 Memphis and went to a JL 500/1 on the same speaker with the same wiring and it sounded like I added a sub. The memphis is rated at this:
    RMS Power (4 ohms) 250 watts x 1 chan.
    RMS Power (2 ohms) 500 watts x 1 chan.
    RMS Power (1 ohm) Not Stable

and here are the JL specs for the same rated amp:
    500 W RMS @ 1.5 ohm - 4 ohm (11V-14.5V)

The JL handles the bass WAY better than the Memphis. My stealthbox would distort and sound like *** on heavy hitting bass songs and I thought it was just because it wasnt a powerful sub. I really wish I would have figured out that it was the amp and not the sub sooner than the 3 years I waited to replace it. It was NOT an installation problem. Everything wired to my sub amp was left the same, ONLY the amp was replaced.

As for my electrical system Renegade im not sure how much you want to know, but I have an Optima YellowTop (have heard mixed reviews, I havnt had a problem with it), stock alternator, EM grounding kit, JL 450/4 amp, and JL 500/1 amp.

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well

I am going to go with the JL 1000/1 amp.... the alternator....if i don't need to replace it i will not...even though it may come down to it later....the current alternator is rated at 130 amp i am sure of and the chrome one is rated at 200....I don't know where the guy came up with the MTX 7512-44 are junk or not good quality cause that is what is in my buddies harley truck and it thumps louder than 2 15's.....so the subs are of great quality...my subs should be here any day and I am waiting for the amp due to having to buy tires all the way around for my truck and saving a few dollars to take my truck to get the brakes done all the way around cause i have no clue how to pack the bearings....but it will come along with new installation wires and such....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03hdsc
    I am going to go with the JL 1000/1 amp.... the alternator....if i don't need to replace it i will not...even though it may come down to it later....the current alternator is rated at 130 amp i am sure of and the chrome one is rated at 200....I don't know where the guy came up with the MTX 7512-44 are junk or not good quality cause that is what is in my buddies harley truck and it thumps louder than 2 15's.....so the subs are of great quality...my subs should be here any day and I am waiting for the amp due to having to buy tires all the way around for my truck and saving a few dollars to take my truck to get the brakes done all the way around cause i have no clue how to pack the bearings....but it will come along with new installation wires and such....

Never said that MTX speakers were junk. Just said that if SQ was what you were after, you would have went with something other than MTX. I have two Type R's in my Tahoe, running each 15 off of one MTX 1100 watt amp and couldn't be happier. JL's are great amps. I never said that they weren't, but for power for money, they are not up there very high. Talk to any guys that put together competition systems for both SQ and SPL and you will fine about 2% of them run JL's. They aren't worth what people pay for them. That is all that I was saying. Running a JL 450/4 and a 1000/1 will not work in the HD with the factory alternator and battery. Don't get a Yellow top either if you are doing a battery replacement. Spend a little extra and get a good Kinetix or even a Stinger.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This comes down to Ford vs. Chevy, Yamaha vs. Honda. Brand x is no better than brand y. You get what you pay for and thats a fact. If you buy the Pep boys gazzillion watt amp that fits in the palm of your hand yes its junk. Rockford, Jl, Mtx and Alpine are not still in biz cuz they make garbage. They've all won competitions and have their followers. It comes down to what makes you, your ears and wallet happy. I worked car audio for years and did the comp circut for awhile till I ran out of steam and got old. While I was selling and installing I used a totally different brand than we sold because that was what I wanted to pay for. In the end if you've gone out and demoed everything the stereo shops carried and your happy with your choice then go for it.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdharley03
    As for my electrical system Renegade im not sure how much you want to know, but I have an Optima YellowTop (have heard mixed reviews, I havnt had a problem with it), stock alternator, EM grounding kit, JL 450/4 amp, and JL 500/1 amp.
    If this is what you had with the Memphis amp in there, I could see you having problems. The 450/4 uses a 60amp recommended fuse. The memphis amp(if it is the one I think) would require another 50 amp fuse. The main difference between the memphis amp and the JL is the Power Supply. The Memphis is unregulated which means that the wattage output will decline as the voltage drops. The JL won't do that, it will simply clip. If this guy throws a 1000/1 in his truck, he won't have any amperage for his mids/highs amp. He is going to run into power problems. Additionally, paying over $1 per watt is so excessive it isn't even funny. Hell, he could get a 1500 watt Visonik, mod it, and have about 1500 watts beating the hell out of the MTX's. The Visonik has an identical THD rating as the JL. They have amazing crossover's in them, but you have to get them at least 14 volts constantly to get them perform. Oh yeah, he could have that one for about $300-$400. I will never fully understand why guys spend all that money on JL.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast