Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: question about an amp...

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Instead of the JL amps I had 2 Memphis amps. A 500/1 for the sub and a 300/4 for the speakers. When I upgraded amps I got a new amp kit for the 450/4 only. I never had a problem with that setup at all, but changing to JL amps was a huge difference. I have had Kicker, Alpine, Memphis, and now JL amps and JL is hands down the best I have had. I guess people just like to pay for quality sometimes...wierd concept to some.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You are obviously partial. I am telling you that I have two Memphis amps, with proper voltage and amperage applied and they will perform all day with the JL's. The only other thing I have with them is an aftermarket Memphis crossover($139) and I will guarantee that if I slapped to /1000's on them I wouldn't hit one DB higher or have any better SQ. Now, Kicker are really good amps for the money as well. To say that you are paying for quality with JL is a bit of an overstatement. JL is overpriced and overhyped. Look at their home audio. Their home audio is a joke. The F112 and F113 was outperformed by a Velodyne 10 inch sub on a seperate amp at less than half the cost. You should check out some of the car audio forums out there with people who compete in SQ and SPL events and see where JL ranks in the more experienced competitors eyes. Many of them will call them inferior to many of the "lesser priced" companies out there. I would go as far as saying that Nothing JL builds competes with its competitors that are equally priced. Nothing they make.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ALso, to the thread starter. If you want extremely clean and efficient power, and are willing to drop $800-$1000 then you should really lean towards this amp.
    http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=595

They have pretty much dominated the SQ competitions for guys looking to break the 150db range. You will be hard pressed to get cleaner power than this, but you have to deliver the input voltage to the amp. The aftermarket alternator would be a good addition with this one.

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Maybe you should read some of my old posts before I got the JL amps to see how partial I am. I always talked about how the Memphis was "supposed" to be right there with the JL amps.

I know what ur talking about with the car audio forums. Many people talk a lot of $hit about JL... mostly because it is a mainstream brand. I know there are more quality amps out there than JL. I am only comparing the ones that I have personally owned and listened to. This thread has nothing to do with home audio either so lets not get off topic. I am in no way saying that JL has the best amps you can possibly get. I am saying that out of the ones I have owned and listened to, JL is by far better than Alpine, Kicker, and Memphis in my opinion and A LOT of others too.

The statement you made was that Memphis and Rockford Fosgate were a better alternative than JL. I owned Memphis and I have heard plenty of Rockford setups and they do not compare to the quality of JL amps.
    Last edited by sdharley03; 04-28-2007 at 10:16 PM.

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As for sound quality......not the smartest on the subject... but I do know what sounds good...and my buddies MTX's sounded awesome in his HD in the same box that I have.....so that is why I went with them....the amp? I will be going with the JL still because i have heard so many great things about it...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK. Well man, make sure that you series the subs VC's and then parallel the two subs. The JL amp is not capable of safely running at 1ohm, so you are going to have to configure your overall load to 4 ohm.

Josh

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Jeremy,
    Give me a call when your ready for install, we'll get in and hooked up correctly. don't worry!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=221

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03hdsc
    As for sound quality......not the smartest on the subject... but I do know what sounds good...and my buddies MTX's sounded awesome in his HD in the same box that I have.....so that is why I went with them....the amp? I will be going with the JL still because i have heard so many great things about it...
    And one more thing. SQ is up to your ears. If you aren't competing and being metered, then if it sounds good to your ears, your SQ will be great. I am beating the hell out of two Alpine Type R 15's in my tahoe and I think that it sounds great. Loud as hell though. I bought Jotay's old HD(2003) and that truck is a SQ beast. All Focal mids/highs and all Audison amps. If I make it up to Fayetville anytime soon(I frequent Raleigh), I will shoot you guys a PM to meet up. if you haven't heard a good set of Focal's played at high volume with nice amps, you are missing out.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade09
    And one more thing. SQ is up to your ears. If you aren't competing and being metered, then if it sounds good to your ears, your SQ will be great. I am beating the hell out of two Alpine Type R 15's in my tahoe and I think that it sounds great. Loud as hell though. I bought Jotay's old HD(2003) and that truck is a SQ beast. All Focal mids/highs and all Audison amps. If I make it up to Fayetville anytime soon(I frequent Raleigh), I will shoot you guys a PM to meet up. if you haven't heard a good set of Focal's played at high volume with nice amps, you are missing out.
    I've only heard there home audio (Focal/JM Lab). I was going to get a set but decided to use my OZ Audio 6 1/2 components (way old school but sound awesome!). They are now called Matrix but these are the original ones from the mid 90's with the purple baked enamel finish on the baskets. The woofers in this set go lower than some 10" subs out there sadly...lol.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There mobile audio is amazing. I have Eutopias in the fronts and rears in my truck and they are amazing.

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley
    Jeremy,
    Give me a call when your ready for install, we'll get in and hooked up correctly. don't worry!

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_amps.php?amp_id=221
    LOL...alright...sounds awesome...just put that on the "list" of things to do...got into a money crunch this past week...had to buy tires...one of my KDW's blew out on the back of the truck...So i had to go ahead and replace all 4 and bought another harley rim to put my last remaining KDW on so it will be my spare...lol..my luck of late is bad...lol...but the truck is still running like a champ...thanks....

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    No prob. Remember I'm out until the 2 week in May and then I leave again the last week in June.

We'll get it done just let me know.

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley
    No prob. Remember I'm out until the 2 week in May and then I leave again the last week in June.

We'll get it done just let me know.
    alright sweet...my speakers will be here in the next couple days....the box is ready...the amp will be here in the next 5 business days(JL)....I don't know if i need to upgrade the wiring...but i think i do...my buddy says i need to go with 0 gauge..i currently do not have that...I am buying a new HU next week...a pioneer Avic-d3....is 970 installed a decent price.....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 03hdsc
    alright sweet...my speakers will be here in the next couple days....the box is ready...the amp will be here in the next 5 business days(JL)....I don't know if i need to upgrade the wiring...but i think i do...my buddy says i need to go with 0 gauge..i currently do not have that...I am buying a new HU next week...a pioneer Avic-d3....is 970 installed a decent price.....

That is a pretty good price. I get the hook up with my local audio shop here in town and I am also going with the D3. It is going to be $900 installed for me and I have done a ton of business with them. Now, if you wanted to install it yourself, you can get it for about 750. That is a substantial savings.

And then there was 1
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade09
    That is a pretty good price. I get the hook up with my local audio shop here in town and I am also going with the D3. It is going to be $900 installed for me and I have done a ton of business with them. Now, if you wanted to install it yourself, you can get it for about 750. That is a substantial savings.
    yeah...but i am not an installer....and also getting it to where the dvd player plays while driving....2300 bucks is what the entire system is going to cost...can also add 650 for two new headrest with 9.2 in screens in them..but not sure if i am going to go that route yet....man o man why was i not born a millionaire???lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast