Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sniper, an inside look...

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sniper, an inside look...

I know Sniper Tuning is a new company in which some people may not be familiar with. I hope to change it. It's a great product, a great company run by great people. I personally feel that Sniper has a lot of features that are going to appeal to consumers. I just want to briefly talk about some of the products they have. Let's start with Special Forces...

Special Forces is a program based of a questionaire that writes a program for your car/truck. The software comes with a flash programmer that we typically refer to as an interface. Here's a brief demo on how Special Forces works.

First you open the program and your greeted with the option of loading an existing tune for modification, or creating a new tune from scratch.

For this demo I selected to use an 02 HD strategy. (EKO1) The first screen asks you some basic questions, what type of displacement, aspiration etc...

Once you fill in that, the next screen asks you some questions about your fuel system and fuel type. I chose 60# injectors since they're the most popular upgrade.

The next screen asks you three questions about your MAF. Where it's placed, what type and what calibration. Currently the software doesn't support the MAFia on settings 2-5 or either of the SCT MAF's but that will be available on the next revision.

The next set of questions the program will ask is based off of your supercharger/turbocharger. Boost, FMU, I/C.

The next screen is based off of your transmission. The program allows several different preset pressure settings, and allows you to tailor the shiftpoints your way.

The next screen tailors to the basics you might need changed, tires, PAT's, EGR and electric fans should you have a car that has them. (HD's stock don't but Special Forces is capable of programming two vehicles.

After you answer everything, your ready to save!

Ok from here I bet you ask what the tune is made up of. I chose three things that I felt were the most important. The borderline detonation spark advance table which is your main spark table, the stabilized open loop fuel curve which is the WOT fuel curve, and torque reduction which is the reduction in power in between shifts, where 1=100% torque.

Additionally this program keeps all of the multipliers stock which allows the computer to correctly adjust everything for weather conditions. Not only that but this tune is extremely conservative for the psi/fuel I choose. You can see the stock setting and the setting that the program I came up with in all of the tables above. From there your allowed to increase or decrease as you see fit within a certain range.

So what does the interface look like? Here's a few real life pictures. This is my dealer interface but the personal unit is exactly the same.

So the programmer is screenless (they have a full color flash device due out this June) which makes it easy to use. It holds five custom files, uses a USB cable to interface with your PC, and also comes with a very simple, easy to use Multiloader program.
    Here's what the multiloader looks like...

This interface is fully capable of complete custom calibrations via email. It's extremely simple to use, and total flash time takes about three minutes.

Sniper also sells a do it yourself program similar to the SCT PRP. It's really just a preference of background in my opinion, but the end user is capable of adjusting EVERYTHING!

I sell the Sniper Interface for 305$ including freight which also includes custom calibrations via email until it's right.

The Special Forces software is 445$ that also includes the ride.

As with all Sniper products and Diablo files, I fully support until the customer is happy and the truck runs perfect.

I'll be posting more information on the Bazooka MAF's, A/F Meters, and the Commando Package shortly. If you have any questions, please ask away!
    Last edited by Ryan@RhynoTune; 04-28-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Great post Ryan! I'm looking forward to receiving my sniper device and your tune on Tuesday!

Fast with Class
    Name: Tony

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    sweet

t

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Looks pretty interesting. TTT to spread the Sniper word a little

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey guys, I just got finished driving around my truck after loading a sniper tune from Ryan today. My car is completely stock except for a JLP CAI box, and a magnaflow DI/DO muffler.

All i can say is WOW, that really woke up the truck! It pulls stronger/harder, and it really shifts nicely now.

Looking forward to getting a pulley/tune now

Thanks Ryan!!

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Glad you like it friend, just let me know when you get that pulley and you'll have a file for that as well.

All went well I hope, hows the process? Good I hope?

Ryan

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It's an easy process once you've done it once or twice. Takes about 3 or so minutes to flash over new maps.

2002 DSG HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So basically you answer the questions to what you have and at the end just load on to truck and your done?

Right now using a predator, waiting to install: 2.8 upper, 4lber, mafia, tr6s. All this can be tuned by answering the questions?

Shaun

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Shaun, sadly the Special Forces software doesn't currently have a provision for most of the settings on the MAFia. Other than that, ya you answer the questions for your boost pressure, injector size, and what not load it and see where you want to go from there.

They have an entire adjustability section which I didn't talk about in which you can modify the tune. Similar to the Predator, but far more options.

2002 DSG HD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the reply!!!!

Shaun

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ryan i have a C&L 95mm Mass Air will it work?
    Also are these 2 separate tuners Special Forces/Sniper?

-553-558 KB 2.6 14lbs
    -BOSS330 Built

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    i think the special forces is the computer program for programming your variables into the Sniper tuner

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ya, it's a couple steps above what the Predator can do but still limited to somethings. The Special Forces also allows the programming of two vehicles, not just one.
    2002 HD - 631 RWHP - 757 RWTQ
    Currently fabbing twin-turbos

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Very slick! I want it!
    aka LeeRandall - NHTOC #25

Drivetrain Calibration
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let me know! I'll give you the best price and service possible

Ryan