Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

May 15 "Gas-Out"

This is being passed around all over various places on the web:

NO GAS ... on May 15th 2007.

Don't pump gas on may 15th.

In April, 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest
    of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th, 2007 all internet users are asked to not go to a gas
    station and pump gas in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over
    $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet
    network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take
    $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies
    pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May
    15th and lets try to put a dent in the middle eastern oil industry for
    at least one day.

If you agree (and I can' t see why you wouldn't' t) resend this
    to everyone on your contact list with it saying ''Don't pump gas on May
    15th".

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wont do damn bit of good...you dont buy gas on the 15th....oh but you went out earlier to fill up the tank....or wait til after to get gas...they still get their money and gas prices dont change at all

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't mind America getting together for a nation wide event, but there are some stations still American owned that will be affected by losing thousands a day where billions might not do anything to corporations like those overseas.

Other e-mails said the only real damage would be to go for a whole week, LMAO... 8 mpg... ain't happenin here!!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C Dillon Go
    I don't mind America getting together for a nation wide event, but there are some stations still American owned that will be affected by losing thousands a day where billions might not do anything to corporations like those overseas.

Other e-mails said the only real damage would be to go for a whole week, LMAO... 8 mpg... ain't happenin here!!
    car pool and drive with a feather foot and its possible lol

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bgstew6
    wont do damn bit of good...you dont buy gas on the 15th....oh but you went out earlier to fill up the tank....or wait til after to get gas...they still get their money and gas prices dont change at all
    I disagree. The opportunity cost to the oil companies of not having earning capacity on cash-flow of almost $3 billion even for one day can make a difference of a mere few 10's of millions.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bgstew6
    I disagree. The opportunity cost to the oil companies of not having earning capacity on cash-flow of almost $3 billion even for one day can make a difference of a mere few 10's of millions.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    WTF?! How did it double post?

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It just really puts the enevitable fill back a day So nothings really accomplished. Now if we could get a large amount of peeps to not drive a day each week and or car pull instead then that might have an effect since that would be not using and saving x amount of fuel each week costing them $$. It would need to be sustained over a period of time to make a difference. Then they would possibly just cut production at some point to tighten the supply and then back in the same situation prices go up.
    Tazz

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Here in Texas their talking about lowering the taxes on gas to make it more affordable, this burns me up! I dont mind the taxes, the help run the state and the country, the oil companies who set new earning records every quarter arent about to give up anything, keep the tax, make oil companies answer questions.
    Im tired of funding the Bush/Cheney retirement program.

DSG
    Name: P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, it's fast...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my 2 cents:

the premise of not buying gas from a gas station in order to impact big oil is flawed from a few other perspectives:

(1) most gas stations are indepedently owned, not corporate owned. this means you are impacting small business owners far greater by not purchasing. often times, some, if not many, independent gas station owners have to borrow money in order to purchase the fuel that goes into their storage tanks with the hopes they sell it quickly enough to not only make a profit but to also cover the loan fees/interest.

(2) the majority of big oil profits and where they make their money from is on the E&P side where they lock in a production price. with the cost of a barrel of oil rising, their profits increase. they do not make huge amounts of money on the consumer end.

(3) if the gasoline is not utilized in the U.S., do we know that it couldn't be sold elsewhere in the world?

(4) that 3 billion dollar number you refer to is gross...not net; and as mentioned, most of it is coming out of small business owners' pockets.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I guess I'll just continue to drive my truck less and less in order to consume less fuel. Heck, I prefer to ride the motorbike during nice weather anyway. The beater can stay in the driveway until winter weather rolls around.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    ha leaving class the other week here in philly, every car in like a 8 block radius had these red "Violation" things on their windshield. looked like tickets, but parking tickets are blue "Violation" things. picked one up, it was about the may 15th gas thing