Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Buying an 07 Screw 5.4 3V

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 07Harley View Post
    smoke em like this, leave the reverse light and itll look sharp!

Didn't think of that, thank you that is a great reminder! I was also thinking of tinting the cab light and going with the LED set up for the cab light so at night when I hit the brakes it's easier to see through the tint. Which paint did you use and did you clear coat it or was it not required?

The headlights on the FX2 Sport are almost color matched from what I remember or they have at least a black plastic instead of the all chrome but I was thinking of tinting them and adding the SilverStar bulbs. Any other suggestions???

Later...
    Bruce

Got melanocortin 1? I do
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black 2003 View Post
    Going all black! get the black Ford emblem for the grill and tail gate.
    Later...
    Bruce
    Bruce...where do you get the black emblems from? They are not just a decal are they?

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by capritoms View Post
    Bruce...where do you get the black emblems from? They are not just a decal are they?
    There are some companies that sell new emblems with the black background or you can go with the gel overlays. I was told that the 07's "FORD" script is raised and not like the 03's. So I am not sure which way I am going to go till I get the truck.

I knew at one time LFP was selling the gell coated overlays. If the script is raised then I guess I will strip the blue and re paint it black.

Later...
    Bruce

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Here's a link from F150 that is along the same lines with some links to manufacturer's that offer them.

http://f150online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289794

Later...
    Bruce

I Need Mods!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bruce......i wanted to use clear coat..because if i didnt use clear coat, the paint would look weird...i used regular black car paint, then after that, i put teh clear coat

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Definate on the clear coat, I will be as well.

Bruce......i wanted to use clear coat..because if i didnt use clear coat, the paint would look weird...i used regular black car paint, then after that, i put teh clear coat
    Are you saying you used regular spray can black car paint, then clear coated it? Reason I ask is I was planning on using the spray tint that most car shops sell and then clear coat it also.
    I was also thinking about using that to spray the emblems and see how they turn out or even try to tint them with window tint film. I know it's pretty flexible and figure with a heat gun or hair dryer and some patience might be able to get it to look great with the tint over the emblems.

Are the emblems on the 07 gel coated or raised lettering?

Later...
    Bruce

I Need Mods!!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    actually i dk what the ford emblems on 07's are..all i know is that i tried to open it up on a diff 07 and they kept on cracking...its like almost impossible to paint it black teh way i want...ive been to so many places and they couldnt do it!! it sucks!!! i want a black ford emblem so bad!!!!

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    actually i dk what the ford emblems on 07's are..all i know is that i tried to open it up on a diff 07 and they kept on cracking...its like almost impossible to paint it black teh way i want...ive been to so many places and they couldnt do it!! it sucks!!! i want a black ford emblem so bad!!!!
    OK so they are like the old ones not raised script. I have one off my 2000 Lightning still in the shed so I was going to try a couple of different things with it and see which looks best. One way would be to spray paint it with something like this: http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/VH...71_p_3465.html
    and the other would be actually try to tint it with window tint film.

Later...
    Bruce

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    havent seen the VHT window tint before, interesting to see how that turns out. on my 85 for the corner lamps i used VHT Nite-Shades to tint them black. guess they are similar products, not sure the differences between them

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    havent seen the VHT window tint before, interesting to see how that turns out. on my 85 for the corner lamps i used VHT Nite-Shades to tint them black. guess they are similar products, not sure the differences between them
    I was figuring what I posted and the VHT Nite-Shades was all the same. Atleast what they sell around here. I'm thinking of doing the tails and as mentioned masking off the back up light and as for the cab light the aftermarket sells a really nice smoked colored one with LED's. Like I said I believe the headlights on the FX2 Sport are dark in appearance so next would be to body color the billet style grill.
    Any suggestions or lessons learned on painting plastic? Should I sand then primer or just clean the area with alchohol and spray with a plastic spec'd paint?

Later...
    Bruce

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    on all my motor parts for doing plastic like the valve covers etc, used a high build duplicolor primer to fill in the texture to minimize sanding. then duplicolor anodized paints for top coat, & duplicolor clear. duplicolors spray nozzles dominate over all other brands out there by a long shot!

as for VHT over transparent plastics, havent done much. my corners on the 85 were tiny and i lucked out and they turned out pretty decent

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    on all my motor parts for doing plastic like the valve covers etc, used a high build duplicolor primer to fill in the texture to minimize sanding. then duplicolor anodized paints for top coat, & duplicolor clear. duplicolors spray nozzles dominate over all other brands out there by a long shot!

as for VHT over transparent plastics, havent done much. my corners on the 85 were tiny and i lucked out and they turned out pretty decent
    I was planning on the Duplicolor. So primer till smooth then couple coats of paint then couple coats of clear coat. Sounds simple enough.

Thanks Josh!

Later...
    Bruce

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yep pretty easy to get down after a few pieces. Duplicolor sells a high build primer specifically for filling in textures, and works incredibly on metal and plastic.

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    yep pretty easy to get down after a few pieces. Duplicolor sells a high build primer specifically for filling in textures, and works incredibly on metal and plastic.
    Cool. I keep adding different little notes like this to my "Mod list for FX2" so every little bit helps.

It may not be fast at first but at least it'll look dayum good!

Later...
    Bruce

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    nothing looks better than a clean black ride! thats for sure!

from the sounds of your mod list, cant wait to see the truck when you get finished with the first round of goodies.

i'll try to get a full how-to up this week for the painting. got all the pics on here, just never typed one up yet for the how-to index

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast