Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: HD4mula sub box HELP!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dont mention it, always glad to help. I didnt even know circuit city sells a $20 sub! Just make sure the cut-out hole is the same for the sub you plan on using, when I was looking at 12s the cut out ranged from 10 1/2" to 11 1/16" diameter. As far as airspace, no matter what sub you choose I recommend polyfiberfill, I used an Alpine type-r that requires between .6 and 1 cu. ft. i believe, which is right where this box puts you, but it didnt sound all that powerful or clear without the polyfiber fill, after the fill it sounds amazing. I would definately like to experiment with some plexiglass and neons but have no idea how to wire the neons in.

The box itself shouldnt rattle apart as long as you build it solid. Mine rattles on the brackets but I had to use what I could find at Home depot.

That is one flippin sweet box racerage 7, after building the hd4mula and seeing the extra space i was wondering how to maximize the other voids in the console.

blairtruck - great idea using wooden feet, the metal brackets were such a pain! Good way to get around the height issue by mounting the sub inside.

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The neons that I have actually go into a power box and you wire that into power/ground. It's pretty simple actually. The neons are currently the underglow on my 1985 honda elite moped

The sub is the lowest model MTX they sold at CC and it was on clearance from 99.99. I picked it up just to play around with and have a little extra bass since I had an amp from my old car lying around.

I think I'm going to build this box and leave it the few inches off the floor, then just see how I like it as it sits. If I don't like it I'm going to build a custom box that has the contours of the floor and wrap it in leather. I might do this even if I do like it just as a project to keep busy on the weekends. I have 4x4' of MDF left so I might as well put it to use.

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's the sub. It's a 10" MTX road thunder. Not too bad for 20 bucks

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Box is built. Here are some pictures:

This picture shows the top of the sub box. I have a plexiglass piece that is going to be screwed onto there. I was just doing the silicone and running the neon lighting at that point.

This pic is just a close up of the neon that I'm using. No idea what brand they are, I got them from a buddy for free about a year ago. They are about 4" of actual neon tubing.

This is a pic of how I ran the neon lighting. This is the front of the box.

This is a picture of the bottom of the box. I put some braces on the legs so that it stood stronger, I was having a problem with the legs staying on under any pressure so I came up with that.

This is a pic of the back of the box. The spacer there holds the box about 1/4" away from the back wall. There is a hole drilled directly in the center of the box (6") that I'm going to run a 12mm bolt through. This bolt will screw into the middle hole for what was the bracket. I took the bracket that's bolted to the back wall off. This might not make sense now, but it will when I take pics of the install.

So there it is. I'm going to button it up later tonight so that I can get my console back in. I'm not going to silicon the plexiglass on just yet because I plan to carpet the inside of the box. I need to get a 3'x3' peice of carpet to do so. Does anyone know where I can pick some up? I'm going to be ordering a new sub, amp, and wiring in about a week. I can't wait to see what it sounds like!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    LOOKS GREAT, cant believe you got it for 20 bucks, i was at wally world last night and the cheapest there was 40 bucks and not name brand.

Im pretty sure no one uses the rear factory bracket, atleast I didnt I made a new one out of 1/16th inch metal strapping material, but that looks like it will work to. I wish I had thought of the wooden feet, that seems a lot sturdier than the metal brackets I fabbed up and a lot less bouncy.

I ended up buying some outdoor carpet off the big rolls at home depot, the black and texture matches really close. Also just used some hitack spray adhesive, doesnt stick well at first but ya have to hold it for about a minute, i did one side at a time resting the box on each side that was being glued.

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks

I didn't use the factory rear bracket, it's been removed. What I did was drill a hole in the back of the box to run a 2" long 12mm bolt through that I then bolted into the back wall where the factory bracket was. That made it so that I didn't need to have the front feet screw down into the floor.

The carpet from home depot sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about going to a carpet store and seeing if they had any scrap pieces in gray lying around. All I need is about 3x3 for the inside and 2x2 for the bottom just to cover up the parts you can see. Do you recall how much that carpet was from home depot?

I installed the box completely last night. It looks real nice. I can't take pics though, my camera charger is at my girls apartment. Once I get that I'll take some. I'm definetly pleased with how it came out though.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe it was about 2.60 a ft/ and came on a 6 ft roll. Outdoor black carpet they also had gray but I believe it was the same price.

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    i did spray on box liner stuff on the inside with the plexi and on the sides where you can see the wood

i have recently changed the neon tubes to Blue LED tubes and added a trim ring around the top so you cant see the LEDs

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just recently got one of those HD4mula sub boxs with an Alpine 12" sub in it. The box sounds good but like everybody else the console sits to high up off the floor and I dont know if I really like that. Is there any way to make the same style box in a cut down version using the same 12" sub so that it fits inside the console without the console sitting to high and still have a good sound?

Name:

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm glad this is still helping people out there. Yes it sits higher but you can quickly get use to it as soon as you hear the base Recesing the sub also can help to put it lower or making it smaller (less tall) using a smaller sub. I have been runing an Infinity Perfect 12 and it is the best mod I have ever done too ;)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2