Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Feedback Nav. Head Units

Name: Phil

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please Feedback Nav. Head Units

Hello All,

I am pretty new to this site and finally recieved my HD 2003.
    I have been looking in the market for Head Unit that are double din with Navigation. Here are the models of the units which I am looking at:

Kenwood DNX 7100 - Pros- All in 1 unit Navigation built in, Ipod hookup
    Cons - Price $$$$ and not good reviews

Pioneer AvicD3 - Pros- Pricing is lower, Ipod I heard is great
    Cons- Navigation is on 2 DVD, have to insert DVD for Navigation to work

Eclipse - i dont know enough about it

I am hoping that you guys that own these units can help decide on a unit.

Here is what I am looking for:

DVD ( for Head Rest Monitors)
    Navigation (That I dont have to constantly change the DVD)
    Dual Modes (Watch DVD in Back and listen to Music in Front)
    Ipod Hookup
    Touch Screen
    Double Din
    Future HD Radio Hookup (Unless there is no big hype about it)

Bascically once I install this unit I will not take it out to sell it for an new model. I will not enter and competitions. This is just for me and my Family when we go on a family trip.

Thanks

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The AVIC D3 is the one I'm looking at as well.

The navigation is on DVD, but it has memory in it so that it remembers areas that you go to. It keeps that in the memory and once you've done the trip you don't need the DVD in anymore. So you only use it the first time you go somewhere. It's a pretty cool setup I think.

Besides with the Ipod interface why would you even need the CD tray, besides to watch a movie I guess...

I'm definetly in for some answers, I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to push for as a Christmas present this year

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Harley F150,

I am just wondering if it would be a bother looking for resturants and other places on the way there (where ever that is).

Also, once you get there if you do not know the area you will have to load the DVD in again to find the next route.

I agree with you about theIPod hookup but would hate to interurpt my son while driving to get the next location.

In my case I might want to spend alittle more to get the Kenwood. I think I would only be saving $100 bucks

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have the Kenwood and love it. Updates through an SD drive, lots of user options (play DVD on rear monitors and nav on head unit.....), and its always gotten me home.

--Snake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Snake,

Is it the DNX7100? What options did you get with it.

1) How is the IPod function for music.
    2) What options does the Navigation give you gas, resturant, hotel? any others

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by priobe View Post
    Harley F150,

I am just wondering if it would be a bother looking for resturants and other places on the way there (where ever that is).

Also, once you get there if you do not know the area you will have to load the DVD in again to find the next route.

I agree with you about theIPod hookup but would hate to interurpt my son while driving to get the next location.

In my case I might want to spend alittle more to get the Kenwood. I think I would only be saving $100 bucks

I always look online for restaurant etc before I leave the house, so I've honestly never thought about that. But again, I was just planning to leave the DVD in all the time since I would be using my Ipod exclusively. I also don't have kids so the only person I'm playing for is myself.

How much are the kenwoods? I've seen the Pioneers at a few online retailers for 700-750. I have a Pioneer now and I'm pretty impressed with the quality so I really would like to stay with them.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Kenwoods are going for 900 - 1000. I stand correct I will need to spend $200 more for the Kenwood.

The Pioneers I see them for $639

Stock - for now
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Where did you see it for 639? Ebay or a regular retailer?

Does that include all the cables for the ipod interface and the GPS reciever thing?

closer to done!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    we sell the kenwood @ my shop, we've had excellent luck with it.
    restraunts/hotels gas stations are no problems!

any other questions, hit me up!!!

token newbie
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i have the avic n2 and i love it, its not a double tho...but the nav is on memory load the dvd for the area take it out and its still there... all in all i like the piece just dont loose the dvds there are pricey to replace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarleyF150 View Post
    Where did you see it for 639? Ebay or a regular retailer?

Does that include all the cables for the ipod interface and the GPS reciever thing?
    If you do a search on the web in Google you will find it. I am not sure if it comes with the cables. I guess it is what ever included in the box.

I guess if you need to buy accessories with it the Kenwood is looking like a better buy for my situation.

Mike you have a Pm

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the Eclipse AVN5495 in our Expedition. A lot more expensive but I love it. If you can afford the Eclipse I recommend at least taking a look at it. Eclipse is about the only HU that I will run in my vehicles.
    Troy - 2002 DSG #09850. 378 HP, 465 TQ

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I have an Eclipse AVN-5495 too and I like it-but..... There are a few issues that you might be concerned with. The HD tuner is $449 ($350ish on ebay), about double what the others charge. The HD tunder also isn't multiplex, so you don't get as much content (some stations have several HD channels but this will only get one main one). The radio/sirius/HD tuners don't display RDS (station/artist/song info on screen). I got mine for Xmas 2005 and the map was way out of date. Not a huge deal, but my 2004 house isn't on it, it shows me driving in the woods when I turn into my neighborhood! Only downside of the hard disk recorder is that it only rips CDs at 1 speed. It would be better if you could sit and load them all at once but I guess it has to do with the copyright laws or something.

Best features: 30 GB HD for Nav and music, great sound quality, 5V preouts, CD/HD music never skips on the worst bumps, great screen, everything is built in-no brain box or external DVD for the maps. Software upgrades can be loaded via CD. Wow factor from everyone who gets in the truck.

Things I wish it had: Intuitive GPS like the new Pioneers-the GPS monitors your driving habits and gives you routes that are tailored to you (mine argues with me if I go a different way to avoid a bumpy road, etc-Pioneer remembers and guides you that way next time). I wish it gave performance stats like the AVIC, wish it had RDS to show the station info, wish it had more station presets-especially for Siruis (6 presets per band AM/FM/Sirius).

All in all, I do love the unit but of course a month or so after I got it, Pioneer came out with the intuitive GPS, and I learned about the HD radio limitation (and ridiculous cost). Eclipse makes top notch high end stuff and many will say the sound is better (never compared side by side, but I know it sounds good). I'm not sure I would choose it over the Pioneer or Kenwood units if I had to do it again. Of course I'm at a stage in life where I want convenience and features/gadgets over precision sound reproduction. That and the fact that I drive a loud truck on bad concrete roads which makes very bad background noise and probably defeats any minor advantages between the major brands. Of course you just have to decide what works for your tastes.

Crutchfield.com has some good reviews on HD tuners and these receivers-might want to check that out too.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Mlelsafe,
    I e-mailed Eclipse and they said maybe in a couple of months they will have the update for the AVN5495 since they already have it out for the DVD drive models.

I agree with Mlelsafe. Great unit but others have "better" features. But I will run Eclipse over Kenwood or Pioneer anyday. It is a personal preferance. I had Kenwood Excelon (sp) before and had many problems and I don't like how the Pioneers menus are set up. The Eclipse is very easy to use and sounds great.

Sumo Blue
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure of the model I'll go out and check in a little bit.

--Snake

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast