Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Volant Ram Air Mod

Another member of the BOC
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Volant Ram Air Mod

Since Volant does not make a ram air kit for our trucks I decided to do one myself. Here is a step by step process on what I did.

Take your Volant box out and seperate it the filter, you just need the box.

Next you want to make a hole on the bottom of the box. I went with a 3" hole. I went as far to the front of the box as I could to have the tube running straight down. I bough the 3" hole cutter at Harbor Freight($3.99)

Volant box and hole

Next step I did was I put the box back into the truck to see if there will be enough clearance for the tube and of course there wasn't. So I had to cut out a section of what held the stock box.

Now with enough clearance I went on to the next step. I took a 3" ducting that I bought from home depot's plumbing isle. If you go with this part, you will need to mod it since the inside is not smooth. I used a dremmel and took me about 10 minutes.

Next step you will take some silicone sealant and and lay out a fair amount around the underside of the flange duct and underneath the Volant box as well. I then insert it into the 3" hole of the Volant box and let it sit for about 2 hrs, the one I used will be at full strength in 24 hrs, but you can buy that Silicone II from Home Depot in the plumbng isle.

While the sealant was drying I moved on to the scoop and bracket. I bought a brake duct from pit stop usa.

To fab up the bracket I bought a piece of metal 1"x 36" and 1/8thick, this can be bought at home depot as well in the hardware isle.
    In this pic you see it cut, I cut a 7" piece that will go on the scoop and a 10" piece that will be mounted to hold the scoop in place.

You will also ned to make 3 holes in the 7" piece to mount your screws. I went with #10-24x1/2" with some lock washers as well. I would use longer screws since I had trouble mounting them to the brackets.

Once I was done mounting the 7" piece to the scoop, I needed to find a location for the 10" piece that will hold it in place. I did not want to drill any additional holes so I used the existing hole of what holds the fog light bracket in place(driver side inner hole). I was still able to put both the fog and scoop bracket together and securing it with the same bolt.

Mount your bracket and secure it in place. This is what it looks like with the location I picked.

Final step is to run your tubing andsecure it in place with 2- 3" SS clamps. I bought the tubing from pit stop usa, its rated for 300 degrees and they only sell it in 10ft. I only used about 3 feet. Finished product.

Last edited by greyhd; 08-26-2007 at 01:39 PM.

5150 4 Life
    Name: Keith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Real nice job

Aloha and be safe
    Keith & Sherry

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    cool "cooler" improvement ,I am not digging where the scoop sits at

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You have been busy Grey!!

How-to sticky??!!

I do agree with Hoffmann though, Maybe move towards the center of the valance? Maybe cut an angle in the scoop to match the angle of the valance where it dips down? Unless of course, the there are no other mounting options for the bracket!!

ResFirma Mitescere Nescit
    Name: stew

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Moved to How to Section

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Nice Jesus, Im impressed!!! Mounts right where the JLP does, I think it looks fine...but better on an 03 valence....hehehe.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    good job jesus! looks clean!

I agree with c dillon and hoffman, would be cooler in the center. I have the JLP and I hate the way it looks.

Also, from a page in Kromdom's 9 plug book, i got some wire mesh, sprayed it black, and covered the scoop. No frogs jumping in my intake!

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Rman,
    you can put the bracket on the lower bolts on that scoop to bring it up higher. It doesnt need to hang down that low.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks dave, i never thought of that. When I get the chance I'll do that and trim the flanges off the scoop as well.

I had a little difficulty installing mine, as the bracket to the foglight didn't really line up with anything. I ended up drilling a hole in my foglight bracket to accept the JLP bracket. Maybe it's different b/c it's from a L, or maybe my truck is weird. Or maybe it's me.
    I noticed also the fog light brackets in the pictures in the instructions were completely different from the fog brackets on my harley. Hmm.....

Who Dat is
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    nice "how to" . sdharley, yours has the flanges trimmed off, looks alot better ( less visual profile).

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks huot. Oh yeah I forgot about the trimming. Very easy to do with a box cutter. I also had to trim about 2 inches off of the left side in order to install the LFP Heat Exchanger. I taped up around the side of the scoop with electrical tape to close it off and trimmed the flanges so it wasnt so noticeable.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Cool! I still have a wide low profile Kenne Bell scoop from one of there ram-air kits..probably would work well...hmm...

553-558 14lbs
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice Job!!! I wish the Volant intake was a little cheaper id buy it

Gotta Get There
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    good job jesus...

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    adding to the how-to index nice job!