Thread: New paint waxing!

Wife asks where my $ is..
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New paint waxing!

Okay you gurus!!!!
    I am looking for tips on putting that first coat (or coats) of wax onto my new hood...
    I had it painted and installed on about the 1st of Oct., and on Halloween I get to finally apply wax after the cure time is finally up.
    Well, with a little over a week to go, I wanted to ask ...
    1. What type of wax should I be using??
    2. How many coats should I do?
    3. Is there any special prep that I should do to ensure the longevity of my hood's paint?
    4. Anything else that will get me the best results with this first waxing?

Any tips and tricks are appreciated! btw the hood is fiberglass (pics in my gallery), and is Black... let me know if there is any pertinent info that I may have left out...

Thanks in advance for replies, I really really appreciate the help from this site!Thanks brothas!!!!!
    2003 2-tone Harley Davidson #4070
    Never heard anyone say "I don't need more speed... I'm fast enough"
    2003 HD #4070, born on 2/05/03; mod list= 6lb lower, open element filter, Electronic cutouts, Diablo sport chip, vemon mod, L 3rd, bedrug, Tv tuner/DVD Excelon, much much more... including a healthy appetite for Hemis!

JUST FOR SoFlaHarley
    Name: Adam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've used meguires yellow #26 forever.the wax is just a coating so the actual good looks come from the prep.there is no need to do more than one coat at any given time.your best friend will be an investment in a G100 buffer.you should check out meguires site for some good basic knowledge and products.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    doesn't really need any extra special care than the rest of your truck, so just wax/polish away with whatever you normally use! My product of choice is Zaino

as for number of coats, it depends what type of product you're using. a caranuba wax all you need is 1 coat. any more and you're pretty much just wiping around whats already on the surface. if you're using a synthetic though like zaino (or some meguiars products), they have the ability to be layered...the more coats the better the shine/appearance/slickness/durability/etc. There definitely is a noticible difference up to 3 coats, gets better each time, and any more after that it helps for durability, but the law of diminishing returns comes into play usually I do anywhere from 3-7 coats when I do the truck.

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfradam View Post
    I've used meguires yellow #26 forever.the wax is just a coating so the actual good looks come from the prep.there is no need to do more than one coat at any given time.your best friend will be an investment in a G100 buffer.you should check out meguires site for some good basic knowledge and products.
    I couldn't drive the truck this weekend because the muffler "fartted-out" ... so I thought I would shine the truck up a bit instead. Saw this thread and thought I would resurrect it.

#26 is good wax. It is, however, just that ... carnuba wax! Wax never really "cures". It continues to "flow". Ever notice how quickly a vehicle gets dusty just after it is waxed and then sits in the sun for just a short while? That is because the sun keeps the wax soft and flowing and dust/pollen sticks much more readily to wax than it does to polymer/acrylic-based products. When sitting in the sun for extended periods of time ... wax actually flows down the vehicle surfaces and accumulates at the panel edges! Over time, carnuba wax also yellows.

A bottle of Crystal-Glo Acrylic Car and Motorcycle Polish is what is issued with delivery of every new Ferrari. It is very close to Zaino but much easier and less time-consuming to apply. Can only get it in Canada, however. I have my Father-in-Law send it down to me by the case.

CRYSTAL-GLO® Polishes Cleaners Protectants

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive always used Nu Finish, its all synthetic, no waxes at all in it, wipes off easy and also works great on chrome, I use it on my wheels, I even use it on my HID headlight covers, good stuff.