Thread: Prank 911 Calls

2008 Monotone #33
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Prank 911 Calls

Just got home after answering a call on my cell phone, a Senior Officer from the Austin Police Department called me from my home phone to tell me they busted in to my house in response to two 911 calls, both supposedly originated from my home within one hour of each other. They arrived at the house and got no response when they knocked and walked around the property so they busted in. I live alone and hadn't been home for about 5 hours when they called me. Phone company checked my line and doesn't seem to be any line-crossing or other shenanegans and they have no explanation other than it's not the first report they've had recently. They think someone is hacking into the system and placing calls that mimic real numbers. Most are just hang up calls but some have been reports of trouble only to find out that the cops show up and find they've been falsely placed. Phone company says they can't do much and police have a case number for me but that's all they can do at this point. Not sure where to go from here but thought I'd share this story with ya'all so you can be on the lookout!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow thats wild **** man..

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Damn, that sucks! Are they responsible for the damage?

shenanigans
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    saw a sory about this on foxnews the other night. there are websites out there that sell you software that allows you to call anyone in the country (including 911, police, fire) and you can pick anyones number in the country to show up on the other sides caller id. the story mentioned a swat team being called to houses in the same town for hostage situations or whatever and there was nothing goin on at the homes they were called out to.

sorry you had to go through that
    2001 Harley Davidson F150 SuperCrew w/ many mods SOLD

Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Yes it can be done.
    There used to be a online website that you could type a message you wanted a recorded voice to say and display any # you wanted on the Caller ID box. It also stated on the website this was only for entertainment purposes and NOT TO BE USED AS PRANK EMEGENCY CALLS like 911 since it would track your ISP and your Computer. I played with it and it really did display any number you typed in on the Caller ID. The voice however was not that good of quality but then again if you call 911 sometimes the voice quality on those tapes arent the best and so the 911 operator really needs to take each call very serious becuae if it is legit then someones life could be in danger.
    Or the peeps have a scanner that scans frequencies of your wireless telly and doing it that way.
    Tazz

2008 Monotone #33
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Both 911 calls were hang ups. Cop gave me a number to call and see about reimbursement for the broken pane of glass in the door, said he can't promise anything but to call and tell them what happened. I can appreciate his predicament and am glad he came in, if something had been wrong I'd want them to do whatever was necessary to make sure I was ok. What sucks is that someone's apparently able to represent themselves as me through the phone system and all the phone company has done so far is transfer my call around from one department to the next. No one there seems to have any answers for me as to what I can do to prevent this from happening again or from someone appearing to be me racking up huge phone bills or whatever. Probably just gonna drop my phone service for a bit and only use my mobile. Ya'all know of anything else I can/should try?

Always working
    Name: Big John

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    according to the story I saw if its determined this is what happened it can be easily traced by the police, most of the people who have been doing have been getting caught and charges are pressed plus they have to pay for damages and the police time and efforts.

Hopefully the Austin Popo can get these fools caught.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive been out of the communications circle for a few years,,,but depending on the type of service its easily done.A butt set(yes thats the name),is a test phone with number pad,and wire with two aligator clips(easily made).Newer phone/cable boxes may require adapters,or the butt sets may have been updated to have these built in.Also available,,,the can wrench,used to get into the box.Used to be as easy as getting in the box,hooking the clips to a couple posts,,and dial away.

Formerly "mlelsafe"
    Name:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Its probably someone who has a similar wireless phone that gets a dial tone from your base. This is especially easy if you have an older phone that isn't digital.

Slowest 03 HD n the WORLD
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    DAMN!!! that sucks