Thread: AVIC-Z! in 2005 F-250

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AVIC-Z! in 2005 F-250

I'm going to be putting in a Pioneer AVIC-Z1 navigation unit into a 2005 SD HD. I searched but only found answers about the 2003 F-150s. I don't know if the wires are the same for the 2005 diesels.

My first question is does anyone know what wire is the vehicle speed sensor and where is the best place to tap into it?

Second question is which wire is the reverse switch (for camera) and where is a good place to tap into that?

Last, where are people mounting their GPS antennas? I had a sirius antenna under the plastic cowl inbetween the hood and windshield. Worked great, but will it also work for a GPS antenna?

Thanks for all help

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My gps antenna is on the top of my truck with the sirius antenna. One on each side. I had mine installed so I dont know the wire config but check out avic411.com they have all kinds of answers!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Can't answer the first couple questions, but I forwarded them to someone who can. When I hear back from him, I'll forward it to you.

I have the GPS antenna right up by the windshield, inside the truck. Never had an issue with my AVIC-N1 that way, the current Kenwood DNX7100 doesn't mind either. I had my sat radio antenna underneath the wiper cowl, worked great there.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The speed sensor wire is optional. I don't have it hooked up, and the nav works fine. I've heard it is a bit more accurate with it hooked up...maybe down the road.

I mounted the GPS antenna under the plastic cowl between the hood and windshield. It is completely hidden and works great.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The speed wire is especially useful in the major cities, because buildings might obstruct line of sight for the navigation antenna. I'm in Washington DC all the time, and with the various tunnels and buildings the satellite back-signal is generally pretty poor. The speed sense wire helps the navigation determine where you are when it might only be receiving information from a satellite or two (versus 5-6).

Same goes if you're in the mountains. I cruise along Skyline Drive in the Appalachians all the time and I notice the signal strength go lower when I'm in a switchback or a tight road.

When I worked at a shop near the Pentagon it was mandatory to hook the speed sense up because of the obstructions, now that I'm in the 'burbs it doesn't matter nearly as much. However, my installer does it on every job.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I love my Z1! Don't forget to sauder the emergency brake sensor closed so that you can use your GPS while driving!

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did the 2-wire bypass...never heard soldering anything to bypass.

I took the cell-phone mute wire out of its spot in the harness moved it to another spot then grounded it and the parking brake wire. Well actually the guy I bought it from did that. There might be some software that needs to be loaded to...not sure.

I'm going to hook up that speed sensor wire once I get back behind there again to install bluetooth, steering wheel controls interface and TV tuner.

2TONHOG - Do you know which wire to tap into for the speed sensor? 2005 F-250?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Let me know how the tv tuner works for you. I've thought about doing it but not sure. I don't remember, I may not have had to in mine but worked on one were we had to solder the parking brake sensor to use the unit while driving (or atl least thought we did?).

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've had a Pioneer and Alpine TV tuner. Both worked great, but I'm very close to the DFW Metroplex antennas, so the singal is very strong. In other metro areas it still worked good just not as many clear channels.

I'll let you know how well it works.

By the way, I've got a 6 month old Bulldog puppy. i had one that lived until 9...died back in May. Great dogs.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's my boy Sarge. I have 2 of 'em. One is 3 and the other is 1 1/2. They are awsome dogs. Will have one now for the rest of my life!

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, I really need help finding the what wire to tap into to get the reverse signal for the head unit. I look under my dash with a test light, but couldn't find anything (plus I didn't want to needlessly be screwing with things).

Does anybody know which wire/where I can find which wire to tap into on a 2005 F-250?

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Look on the back of your fuse box, there should be a black 8-pin plug. The reverse wire is black/pink.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ha...funny timing. Thanks 2TonHog. I used the "all-knowing" search function at 12volt.com.

Here is some additional info that somebody may want/need in the future...

DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - FORD / F SERIES SUPER DUTY / 2005 / Remote Start

12volts yellow (30A), lt grn/pur (30A) + ignition harness
    Starter dk. green + ignition harness
    Second Starter N/A
    Ignition red/lt. green + ignition harness
    Second Ignition N/A
    Third Ignition N/A
    Accessory gray/yellow and red/black + ignition harness
    Second Accessory dk. blue/lt. green + ignition harness
    Keysense black/pink - ignition harness
    Power Lock pink/yellow (w/o keyless) 5wi driver kick, door harness
    Notes: Vehicles with keyless entry, the lock wire is white/red (-), in the driver kick, door harness or also at the VSM, gray plug, pin 3.

The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. Not accessible from radio opening.
    Power Unlock pink/lt. green (w/o keyless) 5wi driver kick, door harness
    Notes: Vehicles with keyless entry, the unlock wire is black/white (-), in the driver kick, door harness or also at the VSM, gray plug, pin 2.

The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. Not accessible from radio opening.

Vehicles with keyless entry the VSM shuts down after the doors have been locked for a certain time period, to wake up the system refer to DirectFax document 1094.
    Lock Motor pink/black 5wi driver kick or VSM, gray plug, pin 1
    Notes: The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. Not accessible from radio opening.
    Unlock Motor red/orange 5wi driver kick or VSM, gray plug, pin 7
    Notes: The VSM (Vehicle Security Module) is to the right of the accelerator pedal above the transmission hump below the radio. Not accessible from radio opening.
    Parking Lights+ brown + switch or VSM, green plug, pin 2
    Parking Lights- N/A
    Hazards same as turn signal wires
    Turn Signal(L) lt grn/wht (F), lt grn/org (R) + turn signal switch
    Turn Signal(R) wht/lt blu (F), org/lt blu (R) + turn signal switch
    Reverse Light black/pink + back of fuse box, black 8 pin plug
    Door Trigger use dome supervision wire
    Dome Supervision black/lt. blue + pass kick or cluster, blu plg, pin26
    Trunk/Hatch Pin N/A
    Hood Pin N/A
    Trunk/Hatch Release N/A
    Power Sliding Door N/A
    Factory Alarm Arm N/A
    Factory Alarm Disarm N/A
    Disarm No Unlock N/A
    Tachometer NOT red/lt green or red/yellow ac any ignition coil or fuel injector
    Notes: On diesel vehicles the tach wire is lt. green/white in a 5 wire harness held up with white tape behind the parking brake release.
    Wait to start see DirectFax document 1091
    Brake Wire lt. green + brake pedal switch
    Parking Brake lt. green/red - switch or cluster, blue plug, pin 18
    Horn Trigger dk. blue - switch or VSM, green plug, pin 6
    Memory Seat 1 N/A
    Memory Seat 2 N/A
    Memory Seat 3 N/A
    Interface Module: Category:
    Immobilizer Bypass Required:
    No Type:
    N/A
    Part #: N/A
    Notes:

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
    Directed electronics, Inc. assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Additionally, if anybody is trying to locate the signal wire from the steering wheel controls, it is the light blue/red wire.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you still need the speed sense wire I believe it is a grey/black wire in the main power harness towards the middle of the plug at the bottom of it. Hope this not to late and helps you out!