Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No more TV...

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No more TV...

So I guess this is the last year I will have TV in the truck!!

Apperently, by '09 everything will be digital or satellite. So since some of us have the TV tuners with "bunny ears" style antennas, there will not be anymore brodcasts of local channels dammit!!
    No more football and racing while the wifey shops!!

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Is there no way to get digital or satellite in a vehicle? I wonder if they will have something to make that possible in the future.

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well they do have satellite, but last I checked for a decent setup, it was around a grand...

Name:

Liked 111 Times in 76 Posts
    how about one of those sat systems they put on the top of Suv's. Put it in the Bed maybe

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We've put a TracVision in the bed of a show truck...wouldn't recommend it otherwise for a F-150, the entirety of the bed is taken up...and it's not something you want to be moving around. Once the travel screws are removed from the dish it's auto-orienting. If you pick it up and turn it sideways, kiss the dish goodbye.

The "dish" is flat, but it's a good 3 foot diameter and about 6 inches tall. That works with Directv, but can be ordered to accommodate Dish Network too.

We mounted one to the roof of a Superduty and it worked very well.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see hi-def capable overhead screens and monitors in the next year or so. The tuner is what needs the fix, the antenna doesn't need to change at all since HiDef is all VHF. It's just changing the tuner from an NTSC unit to an ATSC unit.

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TonHog View Post
    The tuner is what needs the fix, the antenna doesn't need to change at all since HiDef is all VHF. It's just changing the tuner from an NTSC unit to an ATSC unit.
    Is that hard or I mean expensive to do? What is it, just a new box/hardware??

Thanks for the explination 2TH!!

closer to done!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TonHog View Post
    We've put a TracVision in the bed of a show truck...wouldn't recommend it otherwise for a F-150, the entirety of the bed is taken up...and it's not something you want to be moving around. Once the travel screws are removed from the dish it's auto-orienting. If you pick it up and turn it sideways, kiss the dish goodbye.

The "dish" is flat, but it's a good 3 foot diameter and about 6 inches tall. That works with Directv, but can be ordered to accommodate Dish Network too.

We mounted one to the roof of a Superduty and it worked very well.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see hi-def capable overhead screens and monitors in the next year or so. The tuner is what needs the fix, the antenna doesn't need to change at all since HiDef is all VHF. It's just changing the tuner from an NTSC unit to an ATSC unit.

there is a new one coming out that is supposedly designed for the bed of trucks. i heard about it today from our guys at the ces show. the lit about it is on the way. i'll update when i know more.

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yea but...

I've seen those big frisbees on top of suv's, but what about when size matters? LOL

I like my little box under the dash!! I hope they'll be options like that!! I need the bed for other stuff...

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would imagine that the ATSC box could be a relatively straightforward upgrade. Channel Master and Samsung make an over-the-air tuner box for under $300 for the home, and I'd be willing to bet that technology could be squeezed into a hidden module for the car. It's just a matter of an aftermarket company taking on the challenge.

The TracVision units are already HD capable, just have to deal with the big dish-array.

I'm wondering if Sirius, after the merger, will finally get their video content system going. They've promised video content for awhile now, I'd be curious to see what exactly this entails.

shadyharley
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thats ok because its really hard to watch family guy while driving... or maybe thats just me

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SLATE CREEK View Post
    thats ok because its really hard to watch family guy while driving... or maybe thats just me

yea especially with all the rofling that goes on during that show.

im sure they will have something comming out very soon to accomodate the new change

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What about integrating a slingbox into your vehicle. I have a friend that made a "carcomputer." He has a slingbox at his house and the viewing program loaded onto the computer in his truck. It is pretty sweet.

It would work if you could somehow get the signal to RCA video. Anybody thought about this?

...and I was going to buy a TV tuner for my new screen. Never even thought about this dilemma

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thought about this thread yesterday after work when I was riding behind a Scion "box on wheels" and it had at least 5 monitors in it and like four different antennas on top of it. I just started laughing because it looked hiddeous. Low pro tires, chrome wheels, custom paint then enough antennas to land an air plane!

No more blower...
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was tore up between the Scion box and the F-250...buyer's remorse

#81 Roush Stage 3
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here ya go a perfect solution

Try the slingbox route. If you can pick up a good signal to the phone you can get your slingbox over it. Or if you go ahead and put the computer to it and have some sort of wireless card in it for like verizon/att, etc. you can pick it up. Slingbox is based off the internet for distance communications. Or **** you make all that money get a tablet pc, get a mount for the computer on the dash, get a wireless card, and get slingbox. Voila instant HD TV!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast