Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Gen.0 Lightning!!! It Runs! (Exhaust Finished: Pics pg. 9) (Vid Coming Soon)

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont think the Gen1's had a roller cam(which means the dist you bought will be fine).Thinkig the lifter valley has the bosses that are drilled for a roller lifters spyder,though.

Guess I just figured your tranny had o.d.Mybad
    Last edited by '02HD#3982; 01-20-2008 at 01:21 AM.

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    ha yeah i wish my trans had OD! only a 3 speed auto mileage sucks lol

And you're right, chip filled me in on the dist deal. The Gen 1 doesnt have a roller cam, so my dist I bought should work fine, but it is roller cam ready.

heading up to the shop shortly to try and get the trans & converter unbolted, drop the starter, drop the exhaust, and get the motor mounts undone...and maybe pull it out! depends how frozen I get though, its only 22* outside

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

UPDATE!!!! The Ripdown Is Almost Finished!

Got it all ripped down and teetering on the motor mounts ready to yank out tomorrow afternoon! cut the exhaust out, dropped the driveshaft, unbolted the trans and slid it back, got the starter out, got the motor mount bolts out, its ready to pull!

Few pics from today. Discovered I need a new rear trans mount because it was so dryrotted i'm surprised it even held at all lol. And the drivers side motor mount was missing one bolt, and the other was barely finger tight

Pics....

I was trying to get the shfiter linkage off, but i couldn't figure it out for the life of me! How the heck does any of the linkage parts come off? I tried unbolting the part on the trans, couldnt get the linkage off, I tried popping one of the joints apart, nothing! I could slide it back enough without having to disconnect them, but still want to know for dropping the trans later on.

Got the trans suspended with a tie strap since I gotta roll the truck back out of the garage door 2-3 feet to pull the motor since tattoostuff only built his garage "lightning-sized", not "longbed-sized" LoL!

3 miles of twisted hack job exhaust and the driveshaft out of the way

incase ya havent seen the old hooptie...here's a shot. Had the paintjob done 4 years ago. Just put the ladder rack back on in the fall since I've had a lot of side work lately where I need my ladders, and got tired of having them take up half the bed and stick 8 feet over the tailgate

got some nasty body cancer coming back through though

Ready to have some fun with exhaust chip!? LoL!

Last shot....motors just sitting in there teetering on the rotted out mounts. Gonna swing by tomorrow to pull it out

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    "Got the trans suspended with a tie strap since I gotta roll the truck back out of the garage door 2-3 feet to pull the motor since tattoostuff only built his garage "lightning-sized", not "longbed-sized" LoL!"

So it'll be time to add on,when he gets another Harley?hahahaha

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    basically. his black gen 1 race truck is for sale, and he's probably going to get a gen 2 L, or if i can help it, another gen 1 HD

not looking forward to pulling the motor in the HD in there either. going to have to do the same thing and roll the truck out of the doors 2-3 feet to get enough room to pull the motor out

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Josh the 94-95 L had a roller cam. If this is a 94-95 motor, get the gear for that dist. On that c-4, the long rod going from the tranny shift linkage pops off with a prybar. The leverunder the neutralsafety switch and kickdown stays. If I remember right it is part of the shaft

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    O.k.,,,guess I was wrong.I didnt think they came as roller motors.

If the lower intake is off,,,take/post a pic of the lifter valley.
    Last edited by '02HD#3982; 01-20-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by '02HD#3982 View Post
    O.k.,,,guess I was wrong.I didnt think they came as roller motors.

If the lower intake is off,,,take/post a pic of the lifter valley.
    IIRC the roller cam came into play mid to late '80's..................
    2003 HARLEY DAVIDSON F-150 #2888 (Black) of 10,047. Born on 1/23/03.
    Formerly "100th#2888"

Dual Magnaflows w/ X, HID headlights, LED rear, L 3rd, Line of Fire, Roush fogs, Eibach 1" front drop, 2" Bell Tech rear drop, "L" spec Bilsteins at all 4, Ported and Polished throttle body, Custom polished stock upper, Volant intake, METCO Idler pulleys, Innovations ProSport. TRADED IN ON 6/3/08. Fun while the ride lasted. U.S. NAVY SEABEES RETIRED.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    all the local gen 1 guys are telling me its roller cam ready, but its not an actual roller cam in there.

going to pull the motor now.

i can snap some pics of the gen 1 motor while i'm up there

NLOC # 1174
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Gen 1 Did Not Come With A Roller Cam. The Blocks That Are Roller Cam Are The (F4TE blocks were in the 94 & 95) If You Have One Then All You Need To Go Roller Is The Spider (Dogbone Retainer) And The Dogbones. Of Course You Also Need The Cam & Lifters.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I didnt think they were,,but I wasent 100%.

Member # 125
    Name: -

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sorry josh, I was told 94-95 351w blocks were the only years of roller cam in a 351w.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MJ351 View Post
    The Gen 1 Did Not Come With A Roller Cam. The Blocks That Are Roller Cam Are The (F4TE blocks were in the 94 & 95) If You Have One Then All You Need To Go Roller Is The Spider (Dogbone Retainer) And The Dogbones. Of Course You Also Need The Cam & Lifters.
    cool, makes sense. I'm not worrying about a roller cam right now though, just getting it up and running for as cheap as possible. not going to be going racing with a ladder rack and the little C4 trans wouldnt take that kind of beating haha. eventually I'll get a C6 in there and redo the motor down the line when I restore the truck.

here's some pics from today.....

sure wish the HD's motor was as easy to pull as this thing! didn't even have to take the hood off! lol

my goofy mug with the motor....that engine is almost 1 year older than I am

all out! now I have an inch thick of grease & crud to clean off the crossmember and maybe attempt to clean up the engine bay lol

question of the hour...my 302 flexplate has 164 teeth. Now I need a flexplate for the 351, with I assume the same amount of teeth because I'm keeping the C4 trans, but the 302 & 351 flex plates are balanced different. I cant find which one I need on summit Also the 94 351 is a 1 piece rear main seal, but the only flexplates i can find are for 2 peice rear main seals?

351 on the left, 302 on the right. Just a little bigger

302 on the left, 351 on the right. hopefully get all the gaskets replaced on the 351 next weekend and drop it back into the 85!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You were born in '86?Damn,,,I GRADUATED in '86!!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    born in Sept 85....truck was built in Nov 84 as an 85 model. my pops has owned it since brand new. one of the reasons i'm never selling this truck! Think it'll be pretty cool 50 years down the road if i'm still around to still have the old hooptie I grew up riding around in! lol

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast