Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Project Gen.0 Lightning!!! It Runs! (Exhaust Finished: Pics pg. 9) (Vid Coming Soon)

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice man! Looks sweet!

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Me likey

Great job Josh...congrats

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Thanks fellas!

Ordering some ARP header bolts and different header gaskets tonight. Hopefully next sunday I can swap them out and get rid of the exhaust leak. Then its pretty much road worthy again!! Got a lot of travel this month, but hopefully can put a few miles on the truck and make sure its good to go for a long trip, and then drive out to JLP's to pickup the new motor for the HD!

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How much was that EFI setup? A friend is thinking of going to it with his '79 T/A, he has a built 400 small block runs mid 12's now but he is sick of the carb.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    Thanks fellas!

Ordering some ARP header bolts and different header gaskets tonight. Hopefully next sunday I can swap them out and get rid of the exhaust leak. Then its pretty much road worthy again!! Got a lot of travel this month, but hopefully can put a few miles on the truck and make sure its good to go for a long trip, and then drive out to JLP's to pickup the new motor for the HD!
    IF you have the room to pull the headers out enough from the block high temp copper or red RTV works awesome for gaskets on headers. Thats all my father used on his race cars. Put a nice ring around each one, maybe 1/8" thick or so and let them set up for an hour, then bolt up, tighten, and let them sit overnight. No leaks the next day and good to go!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    the projection setup was around $900 for everything. Its only the 2bbl setup with dual 85 lb/hr injectors though, so it might not be enough for your buddys car. It'll support 275 crank hp. I'm almost maxing it out on this L motor, but they do have a 4 bbl version that can support more.

the headers, I just bought a set of 1" ARP header bolts off summit, should be able to crank them down a lot more now. Also bought a set of Percy XX gaskets, lots of drag racers go with them, apparently pretty good stuff, so hopefully that solves my issue! if not....sloppy copper RTV to the rescue

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Forgot to update this for a while. The Percy XX Carbon gaskets solved the leak! Truck quieted down 100%!!!! Still loud and throaty out of the exhaust, but nice and quiet under the hood without that exhaust pumping out! Also swapped all the header bolts for ARP bolts and could crank them down a bit tighter.

Truck was still running very iffy, wouldn't go over 35 mph. Finally got the timing dialed in a bit more and its running like a top! Way better than it ever has on the tired old 302! I ran into another issue with the alternator not outputting, but turned out to be a wiring issue with the 85's volt gauge, and I had to jumper switched 12v to that line and its working perfect. I've put a little over 100 miles on it so far! I got some vids I'll have to upload, truck sounds pretty mean

But, with the "Gen-0's" new 351 pumping through chip's old LT headers, 3" high flow cats, and 3" maggy muffler just ending under the cab, the drone in the cab was LOUDDDD!!!!!!! The cab acted like a subwoofer box for the exhaust LoL! Put 100 miles on the truck so far since the motor swap, but my ears would be buzzing after driving 10 mins!

Went over chips yesterday and he threw together a set of tailpipes and tips in no time flat from scratch! Now with the exhaust at least directed away and out from under the cab, no more drone!!!!! Still has a healthy growl to it, but no head pounding drone

Few quick pics....

Nothing flashy, but definately looks better than a plane boring straight tip, and way better than the rusty ones I had before on the 302 lol. Turned out pretty well considering it was made from regular 3" pipe stock and some mandrel bends, even the slash cut tips were home made and turned out pretty nice. I'll hit it with some of that high temp paint this weekend. Did exactly what I wanted and quieted the cab drone down 1000%!!

Thanks again Chip!

Just gotta dial in the tune a bit more with a portable wideband, then hopefully its DONE for a while, and onto the HD!!!!

needs more cowbell!
    Name: Sheridan

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Looking good!
    Yes officer... I am aware of how fast I was going!

Yeah... I drive fast.
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    DUDE!!! WTF are you doing with those band clamps on there?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haha, those aren't the normal style band clamps that come with like magnaflows/bassani's. these work out pretty well. chip was going to weld the tips to the muffler, but for making it easy to change the setup around later when I do more of an OEM Gen-1 drivetrain upgrade its easier to redo.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9