Thread: How To: Trimming Fender Flares for Lowered Trucks

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How To: Trimming Fender Flares for Lowered Trucks

Harley#356’s How-To’s

Trimming Fender Flares for Lowered Trucks

Purpose behind the Mod:
    For the 02-03 HD trucks, a 2" front drop looks PERFECT, but the tires tend to rub the inner top edge of the flares on big bumps or turns. Somewhat common with stock tires, even more common with bigger 295/45/20 tires that are a popular upgrade to improve the ride, while filling up the wheel wells more. This mod is quick and easy to do once you get over the phobia of taking a jigsaw to your truck! But its definately WELL worth it in the end...no more rubbing, and you can keep the killer slammed stance!

Need:
    -Marker
    -Set of large cajones

Tools Needed:
    -Phillips head screwdriver
    -Jigsaw/dremel
    -Trim fastener removal tool

Process:
    -Remove the screws along the inner fender flare. (Easiest to remove tire unless you have a 90* screwdriver).
    -Start prying upwards on fender flare 180* away from the tire to pop the flare off the fasteners.
    -Once off you'll see a bunch of bright green clips left in the fender as in Photo # 1.
    -Take a marker and mark out the area to be trimmed on the flare. This will obviously be the top most portion of the flare when its mounted on the truck. You are going to eliminate the top flare screw mount, dont worry about it, it's not needed, and removing that area will gain your clearance.
    -Use a jigsaw or dremel to trim the flare as in Photo # 2.
    -Don't be afraid to take a decent amount out, as long as its on the fender well side, you'll NEVER be able to see it when its mounted back on. See Photo # 3.
    -Mark out the other side so they match and repeat. See Photo # 4.
    -Using a trim fastener clip removal tool, CAREFULLY pry out the green clips. They'll pop right out with a trim tool, dont try to hack away with a screwdriver, go to the auto parts store and spend 2 bucks on the tool! See Photo # 5
    -Snap the fasteners back into the backside of the fender flare as in Photo # 6.
    -EZDetail & clean the dirty fender before putting the flare back on as in Photo # 7!
    -Reattach flare by pressing straight forward to snap the clips back in as in Photo # 8.
    -Replace screws.
    -Finished! See Photo # 9 & Photo # 10 for before/after trimming from looking inside wheel well.

PHOTO # 1: :Flare removed & clip fasteners remaining in fender

PHOTO # 2: :Trimming Fender Flare

PHOTO # 3: :Trimming Fender Flare

PHOTO # 4: :Trimming Fender Flare

PHOTO # 5: :Removing Fastener Clips

PHOTO # 6: :Reattached Fastener Clips

PHOTO # 7: :Cleaning Dirty Fender

PHOTO # 8: :Reattaching Flare

PHOTO # 9: :Before Trimming

PHOTO # 10: :After Trimming

Thanks to CDillon & Hoffie for performing this mod on CD's truck for the how-to!

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post

Set of large cajones

Now...that's priceless

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haha maybe I should have put as an alternative...."if you dont have large cajones to take a jigsaw to your truck, any fellow buddy should have no problem doing it for you! Who would pass up the chance to take a power tool to a $38,000 truck thats not theirs!"

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    cajones had a person to hold it while I was with the saw in my hands

4Sale in the classifieds
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Harley#356 View Post
    haha maybe I should have put as an alternative...."if you dont have large cajones to take a jigsaw to your truck, any fellow buddy should have no problem doing it for you! Who would pass up the chance to take a power tool to a $38,000 truck thats not theirs!"
    Tell me about it! Hoffie didn't even hessitate when I said "hell no I won't do it"!! He jumped right in...

Great write-up!! It did take a couple hundred miles to wear it's "perfect" groove, but this is a must with a drop and taller tire combo!!!

Thanks again to TPR customs and the film crew (Josh) and the butcher!!LOL

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    lol yeah i would have cut them but i may have cut too much off since im fender flareless!!! damn jealousy is a biotch

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    lol yeah i would have cut them but i may have cut too much off since im fender flareless!!! damn jealousy is a biotch
    very true!!

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In regards to the screw that sits in the middle of the underside of the flare.. Can you trim the housing for it all the way out? Or it's like a support piece about a quarter inch wide molded into the plastic I think

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    you should be able to remove that. Take the screw out first and see how well it's still supported.

Name: R

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ya I did remove it and is much better now but still rubs on the front screw (rubs on th actual screw head). So it might be time for a little more camber so these dang 285's up front stop rubbing!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yeah I'd remove that screw and see how sturdy it is without it. There's so many clips and other screws, that top one may not be needed and it could give you just enough clearance you need.