Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How To: Separate L Tails, Strip Chrome, & Reseal (FREE MOD!) ***Pic Warning***

World's Fastest Street HD
    Name: Josh

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

How To: Separate L Tails, Strip Chrome, & Reseal (FREE MOD!) ***Pic Warning***

Harley#356’s How-To’s

Separating L Tails, Stripping Chrome, & Resealing

Purpose behind the Mod:
    The stock L tails were all the rage till everybody and their mother started getting them. Aftermarket non-OEM are usually junk, and have funky bubbles or weird reflectors, etc. This how-to shows you how to separate your stock L tails so you can do whatever you want with them. Paint them to match the truck, or simply strip the chrome and have a perfect glossy black OEM lightning tail without any need for paint! I was skeptical at first on just stripping the chrome, I knew it'd be black behind it, but I didn't realize how easily the chrome stripped off, and I didn't realise how glossy and shiny the black plastic behind it really is. They will look as if they were painted absolutely perfectly with no orange peel, dust, etc. in the paint, because its actually just the uber-glossy black plastic! Its a great free mod that'll have ton's of people asking you where you bought your taillights at.

Need:
    -Set of stock 01-04 Lightning taillights
    -Popsicle sticks
    -Electric oven
    -Gloves
    -Rubbing Alcohol (91%)
    -Soft rags
    -Q-tips
    -Clear Silicone

Tools Needed:
    -Nutdriver
    -Flathead Screwdriver
    -Razor Blade
    -Butter Knife

Process:
    -There's a LOT of photo's for this how-to, so rather than referncing pics in the process, I'll just make the photo titles the step-by-step instructions.

PART ONE: Separating the Lenses

PHOTO # 1: Open tailgate & remove 2 bolts on each side of jamb to remove taillights.

PHOTO # 2: Twist to remove the 4 bulbs so you dont have to worry about heat damage in the oven.

PHOTO # 3: Preheat oven on bake to 200* to 225* depending on your oven.

PHOTO # 4: While preheating, get your separating tools ready. You'll definately want at least a small phillips head screwdriver to start popping it loose, and popsicle sticks to keep it from snapping back shut and regluing itself shut.

PHOTO # 5: Bake for 10-15 minutes. The plastic will remain rock hard at only 200*, so dont worry about melting it.

PHOTO # 6: Using the small flathead, start prying at one corner. The glue gets very rubbery when warm. I found it easiest to start at the back edge of the tails (the side thats adjacent to the tailgate seam) because there's 2 little clips. Pop the clips off 1st without breaking them, and slide popsicle sticks in to keep the glue from sticking.

PHOTO # 7: Work your way around the top & bottom. The side of the tail towards the front of the bed has a lip tucked inside the back chrome portion of the tail so separate this area last.

PHOTO # 8: Don't be afraid to stick the tail back in the oven for another 5 mins after you've been pulling on it for 5 mins. The glue hardens up fast, so rather than rush, throw it back in for 5 more mins.

PHOTO # 9: I did the tail in this pic backwards, its easier to separate the tailgate side 1st, then the front side towards the bed, but when you get 3 sides separated, pull upwards and the last side should pop out pretty easily.

PHOTO # 10: Remember to be careful with whatever you're using to separate the lenses, they can scratch easily!

PHOTO # 11: Here's a pic of those clips I was talking about earlier. They break easily so be careful. The second taillight I did I started from the clips and worked outwards.

PHOTO # 12: My tool of choice came down to popsicle sticks & small flat blade screwdriver.

PHOTO # 13: When its all separated, you'll see lots of nice nasty hard rubbery yellow silicone.

PHOTO # 14: One at a time, stick the tail back in the oven, then later the lense, to heat up the old glue to remove it.

PHOTO # 15: When the glue's warm, it'll pull out somewhat easy. When it starts to cool off it'll break off in little pieces, so stick it back in the oven. You may have to heat it 2-3 times to get all of it out because it cools off fast.

PHOTO # 16: Same process for the clear lense.

PHOTO # 17: You're half way there!

PART TWO: Stripping the chrome *****You can skip this step if you don't want black tails. Can paint right over the chrome after a light scuff prep for primer, paint, & clear. Don't need to strip it to the plastic if you're going with silver/dsg/etc. paint*****

PHOTO # 18: Out of all the stuff I tried, 91% rubbing alcohol worked best. Purple Power also worked out okay. Windex was recommended before, but it takes a LOT more rubbing so I wouldnt recommend it. The butterknife & popsicle sticks are for wrapping the rag around to get into the tight crevices, q-tips are for getting into corners and edges. Make sure the rags are nice and soft cotton, because the black plastic behind the chrome WILL swirl and scratch just as easily, if not even easier than your paint!

PHOTO # 19: Spray the Purple Power or wipe the rubbing alcohol on and let sit for a few seconds. Don't soak the lights, because the clear reverse lense and red brake lense isnt sealed off, so excess liquid can run behind them and dull or strip the chrome behind the lamp lenses, and decrease the light output from the bulb!

PHOTO # 20: Start rubbing with the cloth and you'll quickly be amazed!

PHOTO # 21: Some parts will wipe off easily, other parts will be hard.

PHOTO # 22: Could leave part of the chrome for a different look if you wanted.

PHOTO # 23: The difference is literally night and day!

PHOTO # 24: And no, this doesn't decrease the light output, and isn't illegal. The brake lights are still red, reverse light still white, and there's still chrome reflectors behind the lamp lenses so its just as bright as ever.

PHOTO # 25: Test fit without lense.

PHOTO # 26: Test fit with lense.

PHOTO # 27: No longer do the taillights stick out like a sore thumb!

PHOTO # 28: Looks 100x's better IMO when you notice the rear end as a whole, rather than notice big chrome taillights, then notice all the other mods & details of the rear.

PART THREE: Resealing the Lenses

PHOTO # 29: I just went to home depot and picked up clear silicone in a small tube.

PHOTO # 30: Layed a thick bead around the entire channel in the light housing.

PHOTO # 31: Don't worry, it goes on whitish, but dries clear.

PHOTO # 32: While the tails were apart, I had deebee53 make me some cool black HD outline vinyls to put on the tails to be a nice subtle touch to the HD theme of the truck.

PHOTO # 33: They're a little off center lol, so try and aim a bit better than me! haha

PHOTO # 34: Finished up & installed at night!

PHOTO # 35: The thin HD outline makes a nice touch. Feel free to copy my idea! lol

PHOTO # 36: Color matched gives the hooptie a much sleeker look.

PHOTO # 37: Ready to race?!

PHOTO # 38: Last shot!

Sorry for sooo many pics! Figured for a how-to like this though, it would help a bit more. One last note I want to mention, do NOT put any wax or polish on the black plastic after the chrome is stripped! I figured "hey lemme zaino the black plastic before I seal them up." BAD IDEA! Luckily I was waiting for deebee to make me those HD decals, so the tails sat on my table for about a week and a half. A week after I polished them, I noticed a weird haze on the black plastic that I couldn't get off. It wasn't there before, but whatevers with that plastic, it didn't like polish! I ended up having to sand them down and have deebee paint my tails black, so just take my word and don't apply any polish to the black plastic before sealing them up! LoL!

HUGE thanks to deebee for hooking me up with the decals & paint!!!
    Last edited by Harley#356; 01-11-2008 at 06:53 PM.

M.HYDE: 2000 HD F-150 #0356 of 8197, Built 05/18/00, Bought 07/03/00, 700/784, 09.89@138.78
    *Worlds Fastest Street HD: '08/'09/'10/'11/'12/'13****Worlds Fastest Eaton Powered HD: 12.19@112.48 11/17/07*
    D.JEKL: 2000 HD F-150 #1552 of 8197, Built 06/20/00, Bought 06/25/09, 372/450, 13.75@099.46 (*SOLD* 10/15/11)
    REPTAR: 2012 SVTF-150 #2893 of ????, Built 01/19/12, Bought 08/26/11, ???/???, 14.93@091.30
    HASTIE: 2011 GT Mustang 5.0 6-Speed, Built 10/29/10, Bought 11/11/10, 392/352, 12.00@117.79 (*SOLD* 05/14/13)
    BADGER: 2013 Explorer Sport 3.5L TT, Built ??/??/??, Bought 05/14/13, ???/???, 14.53@096.25
    GEN.0L: 1985 XL F-150 w/'94 Lightning Donor Engine Swap, Holley Projection EFI, 03 HD Paint

"Fuzion" 1986-2007 R.I.P.
    Name: Troy

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    That looks sweet on a black truck!!! Good job and nice write up! It might be a little hard to get them DSG though, I don't know a good painter in my area yet.

Lovin' it
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice write up. Now I just need to order me some L tails for my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1niceharley View Post
    That looks sweet on a black truck!!! Good job and nice write up! It might be a little hard to get them DSG though, I don't know a good painter in my area yet.
    If you can't find a painter you could take yours apart and I would be willing to do the paint on yours for just the cost of the materials, and shipping of course.

That would go to any member here, I don't mind helping you guys out.

My Screename doesn't work
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Awesome how-to! Might have to do this whenever i have time

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    No problemo guys! Had this one waiting to post up for a while. Just got around to it tonight finally been wanting to do this mod for years, but didnt have the balls to stick my tails in the oven lol. now that they have droped a lot in price, I took the gamble, and worked out perfect! Always wanted black tails, but nobody can make a clean looking one, and the only one that I would consider, the black bermudas, have to go with retarded flat black instead of gloss! just dont quite match IMO

I'll get some pics up of other shade painted stock L tails so you guys can see how they look in different combos. I'll get those up tomorrow

Oki 916's Dad NHTOC #103
    Name: Slick

Liked 60 Times in 49 Posts
    It might be a little hard to get them DSG though
    Josh,
    have you seen a set done with the DSG paint?

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yep, they looked quite nice....i'll get pics edited into my how-to tomorrow

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nice how to josh,

I like the photo #25 test fitting without the lenses...looks mean

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    im torn between my stockers with the covers, or this. i don't like the lines in the Ls tails. and im not feeling the side reflector. still seem to ricey for me. i can't stand the stock knuckle look of our lights either. the first thing i bought was the taillight covers. that was funny truck still had all the dealer crap on it and i pulled into pepboys and bought them and put em on in the parking lot!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    tpr, I'd definately go for these! Those slotted covers look better than the stockers plain, but they still look like stick on covers!!!

have I had my truck to a JHO meet yet since I put them on? lol You'll probably like them even more in person. The side reflectors are just to comply with DOT regulations, looks pretty good with the HD logo in them though. The lines in the lense arent really all that noticible. Look closely at your corner lights and all the L/HD headlights and they have the same lines molded into the clear covers as well, so it matches that anyway. Definately a step up over 20 dollar taillight covers (that you didnt even PAINT! )

Hoff....I kinda liked the tails without the lenses, and kinda didnt. I liked how the black matched the truck more without a clear lense over it, but i HATED the schoolbus look with the lights protruding out . would be sweet if somebody made a fully flush tail so nothing projected outward and no clear lense over top everything.

Name: Rich

Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
    yeah i know they are only cheap stick ons but i still havent found a light i like. 100th#2888 has some really nice ones that im going to look at.

"Shadow the Hedgehog"
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tpr103 View Post
    yeah i know they are only cheap stick ons but i still havent found a light i like. 100th#2888 has some really nice ones that im going to look at.
    I'm with you on this one Rich,I still have the stockers on mine,and the only one I consider is like Marshall (100th#2888) has,the only problem is the camel toe back up clear portion of it

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    yeah I i melted the tail in the oven, the black LED tails like marshall had were my backup plan to get but like hoffie said, that damn pimple on those tails where it sticks out drives me crazy! WTF! keep it SMOOTH and clean! why add that dumb bubble to mess the lines up!!

Charter Member
    Name:

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have the extra L tails ... now just have to figure out how to turn the oven on and then set it to 200*!!!

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    haha, yes this was my first time baking....food or taillights

oh yeah, so the wifey doesnt go screaming at you for putting plastic lights in the oven, don't worry, there's no bad melting plastic smell or anything during baking to stink up the house. well....unless you mess up and fry them for way too long

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast