Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: got a question

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BKopHD View Post
    well, just to prove you wrong about jl not owning tma, here: Total Mobile Audio

plus the store is one of the 50 founding stores for jl audio products. and if you don't believe that, then here: Sound On Wheels - The preeminent source for high-grade car audio and accessories

and i do believe it's you guys on here that say that the 500/1 is "the only way to go" when it comes to the stealthbox.

and $580 is the price listed on crutchfield.
    well you learn something new everyday! i remember reading back that JL was "going to best buy" and to me it looks like thats what is going to be in those stores. looks pretty cheap. and the wireing kits look like Vantage (another company under JL)

as far as recommending the 500/1 for a stealth box. I would not and have not said to use one for it. unless you do something custom, like build your own or change the w3 out for a w6. the 12w3 that comes in the stealth box is rated at 300rms and you would be wasting power on it and could run a chance of blowing it. Can you do it...yes! just make sure to tune it out right and you might never have a problem. and another good thing is if you ever upgrade you have the power for another 12w3. If your not interested in upgrading then i would say just save your money and do the 250/1. or again check out alpines line. good luck

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    The 500/1 is perfect for the stealthbox. You will NOT risk blowing it by overpowering it, you will risk blowing it by underpowering it. Im surprised nobody has said that yet.

I have had the 12w3 Stealthbox for over 4 years now. I used to have a memphis 500/1 amp powering it. When I changed to more powerful front speakers I need a more powerful amp so I changed both of my Memphis ones to JL. Best move I could make. The sound is night and day and the stealthbox performs sooo much better with the JL 500/1 amp. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. I dont know about that other brand, but I can give you first hand experience from JL and Memphis and I say hands down JL.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdharley03 View Post
    The 500/1 is perfect for the stealthbox. You will NOT risk blowing it by overpowering it, you will risk blowing it by underpowering it. Im surprised nobody has said that yet.

I have had the 12w3 Stealthbox for over 4 years now. I used to have a memphis 500/1 amp powering it. When I changed to more powerful front speakers I need a more powerful amp so I changed both of my Memphis ones to JL. Best move I could make. The sound is night and day and the stealthbox performs sooo much better with the JL 500/1 amp. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for in this case. I dont know about that other brand, but I can give you first hand experience from JL and Memphis and I say hands down JL.
    its not really blowing from underpowering its from clipping

Name: Dave

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Yep. And that happens much earlier with an amp that cannot meet the speakers needs.

"Clipping", distortion and how they effect our systems

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    okay so i asked the question about the difference between a 500/1 and and 500/1v2 on caraudio.com forums and here's what one guy told me:

Difference between the two are as follows:

1.) exterior casing is slightly styled different than the v1. See below:

2.) v2 are more efficient as dissapating heat than the v1's. (v1's are very thermally efficient, v2's just more so)

That's it. If price is an issue and run across some v1's, you don't have to fear on passing on a better sounding amp in the v2's. They will be just as good.

so yeah, if anybody ever comes along wanting to know the answer to the question i had in the future, there you go. that was really all i needed to know.

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    one last suggestion i will try to give you. you can also take a look at the JL 300/2 and save yourself a few $. Cleaner AB class and perfect wattage. Just have to bridge it and go! I ran one on one of my 12w6 for a while in a ported box and it sounded insane clean.

but there is no way the 250/1 underpowers the 12w3. call JL and they will strongly suggest the 250/1 for the 12w3. no saying im not a fan of overhead, just proving that if you went with the 250/1 for money reasons you wont be short on power.
    Last edited by jvillefinest; 01-15-2008 at 07:44 AM.

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jvillefinest View Post
    one last suggestion i will try to give you. you can also take a look at the JL 300/2 and save yourself a few $. Cleaner AB class and perfect wattage. Just have to bridge it and go! I ran one on one of my 12w6 for a while in a ported box and it sounded insane clean.

but there is no way the 250/1 underpowers the 12w3. call JL and they will strongly suggest the 250/1 for the 12w3. no saying im not a fan of overhead, just proving that if you went with the 250/1 for money reasons you wont be short on power.
    you know, i was thinking about that 300/2 last night/today. lol. but i emailed jl audio yesterday and i just got a chance to read the response. you'll be happy to hear what the guy suggested to go with......the 250/1. lol

Clean and SLOW!
    Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ahahhaa! good stuff. i used to talk to the jl rep jessie about all the crazy different ways you could set up thier amps whenever he came in to the store!

-You could even do a JL 450/4 bridge the front channel to run the sub at 300 watts and use the rear to run the fronts at 75 a piece. Using AB class power and cleanlyness
    -Or you could do a JL 500/5 and run the sub on 250 (D Class)and the fronts on 100 and the rears on 25watts (AB Class)

many different ways to skin a cat using their amps. But anyway you do it your going to put out $ but your going to be very happy with the outcome. put up what ya end up doing....

Name:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well i already have an amp powering my door speakers, so i don't need to have anything going to them. but yeah, i'll definately be putting up what i go with when i get it. it may not be til march when i get it though.(planning ahead) but who knows, it could be sometime early february.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2